I am attempting to upgrade a Mac.

Let's make some video games!

Moderator: Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

I am attempting to upgrade a Mac.

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

This is a Mac that I bought from Ben to give to my brother as a Christmas gift. My hope was that my brother was going to get familiar with it and get an IT job. He did not do so and was having trouble with bills a while back, so I bought it off him.

It's got 10.11.6 on it. Hugor and many other apps require 10.12. (Note, just because it is the internet and nuance is not possible, I mention Hugo because that is the app I want to run on it, I am not whining about anything requiring 10.12.)

In Hilton my mom has fantastic internet speeds. I tried to upgrade the OS there. But it was on the day we were flying and I know that I get instantly frustrated when webshit doesn't work and we didn't need that bad energy when flying (I despise flying). I think that maybe there was a problem with the App Store account or that I was trying to download an "update" to 10.12 and not an "upgrade." So I am trying here in Colorado where the speeds are much slower.

So we'll see. I have seen things like needing to delete a file to "unlock" the 10.12 (Sierra) installation, which makes me want to kill someone. It's just so terrible how they fight you on this.

With Windows and Linux I can install an image for a new OS. Is such a thing possible for a Mac? Can I book from a USB stick and put Big Sur on it?

(It APPEARS that I can run Big Sur on it, **it's just that it is not available in the App Store for me.**.)
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: I am attempting to upgrade a Mac.

It's tough to not get angry. Every article I can find assumes you have "Big Sur" (what a stupid fucking name) and want to reinstall it. Whereas I have Sierra and want to go there.

This is what I am trying now: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683
macOS Sierra 10.12 can upgrade El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion, or Lion
It says to use Safari. Do I really have to? Why complicate shit if any browser works? Clicking on the link in Safari did not work. I had to right-click save as. Why?

When it starts to download the file, THE BROWSER THEY SUGGEST (Safari) says it won't do it because dmg files are harmful. THIS IS YOUR SHIT, APPLE. I can do the "Keep" thing, but imagine if you didn't know that.

How does it get like this? I used to hate Microsoft because of these issues. They are the same issues with Apple!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Apple is trying to kill you for independent thinking!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

When I loaded Linux on my Mac mini there was an option to "load other OS" Is that something available on your machine?

Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:46 pm When I loaded Linux on my Mac mini there was an option to "load other OS" Is that something available on your machine?
Not really, BUT that one link I posted did work. It let me go to Catalina, the next one. Not the first time though! The first time it would not restart my Macbook, it just sat there. But trying it a second time did.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Yeah, so Sierra came up. I can run Hugor. But if I am doing this I might as well take it all the way, so 6GB or whatever it is for "High Sierra" (why .... would they have different names for all their operating systems and then just add an adjective for Sierra/High Sierra? Why is everything they do stupid and awkward?) is on its way. BOY THIS IS A PLEASURE. But at least there are 3 other computers in the room so I can get stuff done.

Flack

Post by Flack »

If you keep having problems, feel free to mail it to me. I don't know anything about Macs but I am also willing to sell it back to you.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

That's a good point. How many goddamn times am I going to buy this thing?

It's been downloading "High Sierra" for 5 hours. I know I have slow internet, but come on. 5 hours? And there is just a little bar showing how full it is.... nothing about download rates or anything.

Is anyone else constantly disappointed by software? I am constantly, endlessly disappointed by it.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

The bar is gonna restart too countless times just like Windows telling you to “wait a few moments” as if a moment were a proper unit of measure when you are operating a computer.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

You can create a bootable Big Sur (or any other macOS version) installer. The media creation tool comes with the download. It's quite easy to do, just follow this guide:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

I've done this many times and it always worked.

Ice Cream Jonsey

RealNC wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:43 am You can create a bootable Big Sur (or any other macOS version) installer. The media creation tool comes with the download. It's quite easy to do, just follow this guide:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

I've done this many times and it always worked.
Thanks! It was 100% impossible for me to find based on my searched yesterday but this is exactly what I was looking for!