Testing

Let's make some video games!

Moderator: Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Testing

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Question for Billy - do you have a spare hour to look at the opening to Cyberganked for me? If so, I will then get it to Paul for his advanced kind of user testing. I just need someone who can look at it and describe obvious fuckups so that Paul doesn't get bogged down.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Yes, I will test the heck out of your game. Do you have a link or web page that I can do that from?

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

I can also test the fuck out of the entire game if you know, need me to for whatever reason.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Testing

I am going to use this as a place to put observations, as I am spending more time on Cyberganked again.

I (or Billy, can't recall) found a bug where all the character stats were listed as 32 after characters were imported. It was due to a bug where I had a hardcoded value of 47 for the length of an array instead of 16, which I expected elsewhere.

And I am like... I can't keep doing this. It took a while to find and track down tonight and that is time that real authors use to write. This is insane. This is not a good use of my time.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Welp, I wiped out Jonsey's post, because I thought the "edit" button was the "reply" button.

I'll show myself out.

Thanks everyone, for all the years of enjoyment! Catch you on the Discord!

- Your friend, pinback.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Why no penalties? I like penalties. Everyone should have a penalty to offset the bonus.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Here's the stats in the post that was accidentally written over:
print "1) America: Americans get two of the bonuses below, chosen randomly on creation."
print "2) Canada: Canadians get +2 to Social Awareness"
print "3) Scotland: Scots gain program energy from alcohol."
print "4) Ireland: Irishfolk get +4 to Luck, heal at twice the normal rate."
print "5) England: Englishfolk gain program energy naturally."
print "6) Australia: Australians gain health from alcohol. "
print "7) Mexico: Mexicans are completely immune to heat and flame attacks."
print "8) Quebec: Quebecois are completely immune to cold and frost attacks."
print "9) Russia: Russians get an extra hit point with each level gain."
print "10) China: Chinese people find more bitcoin when bitcoin is found."
print "11) India: Indians get healing bonuses as Doctors and when healed."
print "12) Japan: Japanese folk get +2 to IQ."
print "13) Germany: Germans get bonuses as Machinists."
print "14) Spain: Spaniards always dodge the first attack in combat."
print "15) Greece: Greeks get +2 to Speed."
print "16) Madagascar: Malagasy people get +2 to Immunity."
print "17) Palestine: Palestinians naturally heal five times faster than others."
print "18) Poland: Poles get +3 to Strength."

"1) Clown (+1 to Strength, Immunity and Speed. -1 to Luck.)"
"2) Unix Programmer (+2 to IQ. -1 to Social Awareness. )"
"3) Hacker (+1 to IQ, +1 to Luck. -2 to Social Awareness.)"
"4) Lawyer (+2 to Social Awareness.)"
"5) Chemist (+2 to IQ. -1 to Speed.)"
"6) Doctor (+3 to IQ. -1 to Social Awareness.)"
"7) Electrical Engineer (+3 to IQ. -1 to Strength.)"
"8) Troll (+4 to Luck, +1 to Speed. -5 to Strength.)"
"9) Machinist (+2 to Strength, +2 to Speed.)"
"10) Magician (+4 to Social Awareness.)"

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

RealNC wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:00 am Why no penalties? I like penalties. Everyone should have a penalty to offset the bonus.
Everyone does have a penalty. Since each nationality receives a bonus, the penalties are implicit. For example, a Greek receives a bonus of +2 to speed with the penalty of not receiving the bonuses granted to the other 17 nationalities. Originally, penalties were given to races in dnd in order to balance their bonuses against humans who did not receive them.

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:05 am
print "1) America: Americans get two of the bonuses below, chosen randomly on creation."

Here you are either admitting that Americans are the most ludicrously overpowered nationality in the game, which is fine if that is the direction you want to go, but what incentive is there to play a different nationality then?...OR...You are admitting that nationality perks are hideously unbalanced because normally any two perks should be twice as good as any one perk if properly balanced, but you are implying that there are some weak perks and the risk to selecting an American is accidentally getting one of them? At which point the design flaw is in the nationality that has that weak perk.

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:05 am

print "3) Scotland: Scots gain program energy from alcohol."

print "5) England: Englishfolk gain program energy naturally."

print "11) India: Indians get healing bonuses as Doctors and when healed."

print "13) Germany: Germans get bonuses as Machinists."
Pigeonholing nationalities!!!! This needs to be changed, you're better than this, Robb. For example: Why can't I create a German Hacker without shitting away my only perk for that nationality?

pinback

Post by pinback »

Billy Mays wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:50 am Here you are either admitting that Americans are the most ludicrously overpowered nationality in the game
The fact you get two bonuses is offset by the fact that you don't get to choose them, so it might not fit the playstyle you're most comfortable with. And even if it ends up being OP, who cares, it's a fun mechanic.
Pigeonholing nationalities!!!! This needs to be changed, you're better than this, Robb. For example: Why can't I create a German Hacker without shitting away my only perk for that nationality?
Well, this has to just be Billy Mays trolling. That is the whole point of these classifications. It's funny to pigeonhole nationalities. Scottish gaining health from alcohol is very funny. Madagascar getting immunity bonuses is extremely funny.

Get with the program.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Well, this "forces" you to restart the game until you get the bonuses you want. So it doesn't look like a good idea to me. It is overpowered (two bonuses) and inconvenient (you need to restart again and again until you get what you want.)

pinback

Post by pinback »

RealNC wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:32 am Well, this "forces" you to restart the game until you get the bonuses you want. So it doesn't look like a good idea to me. It is overpowered (two bonuses) and inconvenient (you need to restart again and again until you get what you want.)
It's only an "inconvenience" if you insist on abusing it. The point is not to reroll until you get what you want, the point is to have to deal with whichever ones you get. If you don't like that random element, don't play American.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

"I'll play what I want. You don't tell me what or how to play. If the way I want to play sucks, it's your fault, and a shortcoming of the game."

(In quotes since I'm not actually saying that, it's what players can say.)

Ice Cream Jonsey

Well, I think the thing is that America is a melting pot, and therefore getting two random bonuses at the end is kind of a nice surprise. For instance, a lot of vaccine discoveries took place in America, so if Americans got a +2 to immunity, that makes sense. In terms of alcohol super-powering us, we're also so drunk as a nation that arguably our greatest sitcom takes place in a bar.

I do think that healing at five times the normal rate is a bit overpowered, but I can see how having that - through a random roll - PLUS another thing is even more OP. I like saying OP.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:13 pmarguably our greatest sitcom takes place in a bar.
I thought for a second he meant Cheers, and I smiled.

Then I realized what he was actually talking about, and I frowned.

It was an emotional rollercoaster. A really small one, like the kid's one at the county fair.

Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:37 pm
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:13 pmarguably our greatest sitcom takes place in a bar.
I thought for a second he meant Cheers, and I smiled.

Then I realized what he was actually talking about, and I frowned.

It was an emotional rollercoaster. A really small one, like the kid's one at the county fair.
Wait. What sitcom do you think I was talking about?

Ice Cream Jonsey

AHHHH. Wait. Okay. You aren't going to believe me.

I did mean Cheers when I wrote that. Because while it is not my favorite, it is arguably the best American sit com.

Now that you reminded me that It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia also takes place in a bar, I see how you would think that I meant that. IASIP is possibly my own favorite sit com (either that, Red Dwarf or Community and Red Dwarf is British) but I realize that my faves have been corrupted by a lifetime of enjoying people yelling at each other.

Anyway. I did mean Cheers when I wrote that. And alcohol does power the American.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

pinback wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:07 amThe fact you get two bonuses is offset by the fact that you don't get to choose them, so it might not fit the playstyle you're most comfortable with.

It's only an offset in the event that the perks are horribly imbalanced across the board, which they are.

Robb: What do you mean by "Englishfolk gain program energy naturally."? What do you mean by "naturally"? Don't all tech users gain it naturally, as in the way you designed them to gain it, the natural way? Can certain non-tech users gain access to program usage (spells) just based on their nationality? That would be insanely imbalanced if that's the case.
pinback wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:07 amWell, this has to just be Billy Mays trolling.

I don't troll the testing or game development sections here, I never have and I never will. I have a strict code of testing ethics to uphold.

pinback wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:07 amThat is the whole point of these classifications. It's funny to pigeonhole nationalities. Scottish gaining health from alcohol is very funny. Madagascar getting immunity bonuses is extremely funny.
The Scots gain programming energy from alcohol, not health. Did you even read anything ICJ posted before tearing into me?

I think you're confusing pigeonholing with stereotyping. Malagasy getting an immunity bonus is fine since it will apply to any class they choose. Nationality bonuses that apply and have value to any class is the thing I am emphasizing here.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Well, if it makes you feel any better I've spent two nights trying to get the adjustments to work.

I really, really need an IDE to program in Hugo. Just having syntax highlighting ain't cutting it. I need to be able to dive into functions, I need highlighting when something is spelled wrong. I need... well, just those two things, I guess.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:08 pm Well, if it makes you feel any better I've spent two nights trying to get the adjustments to work.

I really, really need an IDE to program in Hugo. Just having syntax highlighting ain't cutting it. I need to be able to dive into functions, I need highlighting when something is spelled wrong. I need... well, just those two things, I guess.
Kate is quite good. I use it for TADS. It can't do code completion, but it does have configurable spell checking in XML syntax rules. My TADS definition does live spellchecking in comments and strings, for example. Hugo should be an easy language to make a Kate XML for.

You can also tell it to run the compiler, so it behaves more similar to an IDE.

It's a KDE application, so not sure how easy it is to install on Windows, but maybe worth a try.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I am OK with at least having the option to code on Linux. That's fine. Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look.