Cyberganked weekend

Let's make some video games!

Moderator: Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Cyberganked weekend

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

My wife is away on business this weekend so that means it is CYBERGANKED WEEKEND

Normally when I have a weekend alone I sleep late, watch shows in the guise of having a game up ("not really tv when a text editor is open! I'm working!") and I waste the whole time.

NOT THIS WEEKEND. This is Cyberganked weekend. I will make a note of every commit I do for the game in this thread.

(I am 95% certain that some crisis will come up, ruining the whole thing but we'll see.)
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Re: Cyberganked weekend

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:10 am This is Cyberganked weekend. I will make a note of every commit I do for the game in this thread.
Okay then, since you spoke of commits¹, what SCM are you using, Git, Mercurial, or Subversion? I'm using the Atom text editor to write The Librarian, and as Atom was created by Github Inc., and has Git integration, that's what I use. How say you?

- - - -
¹ And are neither in nor otherwise involved with, a mental institution. Although if working on the game gets bad, you may wish you were.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:35 am
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:10 am This is Cyberganked weekend. I will make a note of every commit I do for the game in this thread.
Okay then, since you spoke of commits¹, what SCM are you using, Git, Mercurial, or Subversion? I'm using the Atom text editor to write The Librarian, and as Atom was created by Github Inc., and has Git integration, that's what I use. How say you?
Using git - here are some random thoughts from however many years of source control programs I've used:

- "Locking" files with (I think?) VSS seemed to make a lot of sense at the time but I see why everyone got away from it.
- I think understanding and comprehending Mercurial made me hate it at first but now I understand what it was trying to do. When that was introduced to the place I worked in, oh, 2010 or so I just hated it. But the problem was not with Mercurial.
- I got onto some system using Subversion and it was fine, never bothered me.

But when I took a new job in maybe 2014 they were on git and I decided that I wanted my text game stuff to use it if I was using it at work. I was therefore doubling my experience with git. Git as software has been fine to me, every once in a while you hear about the company at Github being roll-your-eyes precious about dumb shit, and I guess Microsoft bought Github? So I am sure the amazing people at MS are salivating at the chance to ruin Github but they haven't yet.

How do you like Git, Commander?

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

How far along are you in the game development process content-wise at this point? My general impression is Cyberganked will be your most ambitious and lengthiest game to this point so I'm really looking forward to checking it out eventually even if it is still years/decades away. Do you have a rough idea of how many rooms the final game will have?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:42 am How do you like Git, Commander?
Git itself, the protocol, I don't have a problem. What I do have a problem with, is Atom's implemation of Git. Looks like they have "create repository" and "push commits" down pat. What Atom apparently fails to include is "pull from repository" for when you want to restore an old verson of one (or more) files.

I was working on something, was compiling various changes, discovered rthey didb't work, and wanted to simply rollback the file from the repository I had committed to earlier. But Atom apparently doesn't support "pull" requests, only "push". So, I used TortoiseGit to pull from the repoaitory.

I like the idea of being able to "checkpoint" known-good releases of a program, and I probably should commit more frequently - like every time I have a compile that works - but I do checkpoint (commit) every couple of days. Since I don't have any purchased Microsoft compilers - the "Community" version of Visual C++ I installed is free - I don't have VSS as I did at my different jobs years ago - and don't know if it is better. I've heard VSS has problems and sometimes corrupts its repositories, the absolute worst thing an SCM can do.

I think there are some differences in the workings of Git, Hg, and SVN, with some actions easier or harder to do on some SCM systems. Since the Tortoise people have clients for all three, they can't be that much different.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Flack

Post by Flack »

"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

No, Flack, you seem to misunderstand me. I know what Git PULL is. I had no problem doing so from the repository, using the TortoiseGit 64-bit client for Windows (with Shell Integration). So the article you sent me to did not really tell me much of anything new.

Where the problem exists is that the Atom text editor knows how to do PUSH requests but not PULL (or even FETCH) ones.

- - - -
Mark Hall: You really expect me to fire the thing (nuclear weapon)?
Jeremy Stone: No, Mark, you misunderstand me. All you can do is stop it. If a biological event is triggered, the bomb goes off automatically in three minutes, unless you get to a substation and lock in your key.
Mark Hall: Oh.
- Michael Chrichton's The Andromeda Strain

Flack

Post by Flack »

"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

bryanb wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:39 pm How far along are you in the game development process content-wise at this point? My general impression is Cyberganked will be your most ambitious and lengthiest game to this point so I'm really looking forward to checking it out eventually even if it is still years/decades away. Do you have a rough idea of how many rooms the final game will have?
There are 14 areas right now. I think maybe on average each area has 70 rooms? But I want to see how it all feels when I feel like the first complete playthrough of all the content is like in case it needs more.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Glad you got some stuff done man! Saturday was arcading and Star Wars RPG day. Of course I end up keeping the last friend til 1:30 AM after the course of 9 Sam Adams Winter Something beer.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

I got 5 spells in, not bad for a weekend. And I am in good shape for three more.

I will admit adding sufficient spell "diversity" can be tough, once you heal the player and do damage to enemies it can be a bit tough for make the spells worthwhile.

ChainGangGuy

Post by ChainGangGuy »

5 Spells In, baby! You deserve to be Cyberthanked.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Getting the 56 spells going has been far, far, far the most time-consuming part of this and I can't even say it's close.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:00 pm Getting the 56 spells going has been far, far, far the most time-consuming part of this and I can't even say it's close.
What does this SPELL for the future of Cyberganked? Stay tuned!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

So all we need is a second pandemic for Robb to finish the game!

Ice Cream Jonsey

48/56 spells are now finished in the game. Six left!