Cyberganked guns

Let's make some video games!

Moderator: Ice Cream Jonsey

User avatar
Tdarcos
Posts: 7646
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Contact:

Re: Cyberganked guns

Post by Tdarcos »

What do people call those cylindrical round things the put in handguns or rifles or in magazines to shoot?

Almost universally people call them "bullets" after the projectile fired out the front of the gun that is intended to hit the target. That is wrong, as any firearm manufactured in the last 100 years fires "cartridges" not bullets. unless it fires shotgun shells.

A cartridge consists of a bullet, with a quantity of gunpowder, surrounded by a casing. When the gun is fired, the hammer slams the firing pin into the back of the cartridge, igniting the gunpowder, causing a small explosion. This rips the cartridge open, expending the explosion as energy, which propels the bullet forward out of the barrel, leaving the expended cartridge behind. A revolver will advance to the next chamber, a semi-automatic will eject the used cartridge, often referred to as "brass" then load the next round from the magazine.

If you shoot a semi-automatic there should be brass ejected on the ground; in the case of a revolver, the brass remains in the chambers and has to be manually ejected using the release lever. Typically, in a firefight if using a revolver, you "dump the brass" and empty the shell casings on the ground.

Used cartridges can be recycled, by putting a quantity of gunpowder and a new bullet into them, then crimping the end closed. this can be done multiple times if you know what you're doing, it just requires a few minor tools like a scale and a press. People who do a lot of shooting will make their own reloads, as they are much cheaper than new cartridges. You do have to know how to spot cartridges that are no lomger suitable for reloading.
"Perhaps she'll understand, if you tell it to her, plain."
- Don McLean, Castles in the Air

User avatar
Flack
Posts: 7863
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:02 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Cyberganked guns

Post by Flack »

Tdarcos wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:15 am What do people call those cylindrical round things the put in handguns or rifles or in magazines to shoot?

Almost universally people call them "bullets" after the projectile fired out the front of the gun that is intended to hit the target. That is wrong, as any firearm manufactured in the last 100 years fires "cartridges" not bullets. unless it fires shotgun shells.

A cartridge consists of a bullet, with a quantity of gunpowder, surrounded by a casing. When the gun is fired, the hammer slams the firing pin into the back of the cartridge, igniting the gunpowder, causing a small explosion. This rips the cartridge open, expending the explosion as energy, which propels the bullet forward out of the barrel, leaving the expended cartridge behind. A revolver will advance to the next chamber, a semi-automatic will eject the used cartridge, often referred to as "brass" then load the next round from the magazine.

If you shoot a semi-automatic there should be brass ejected on the ground; in the case of a revolver, the brass remains in the chambers and has to be manually ejected using the release lever. Typically, in a firefight if using a revolver, you "dump the brass" and empty the shell casings on the ground.

Used cartridges can be recycled, by putting a quantity of gunpowder and a new bullet into them, then crimping the end closed. this can be done multiple times if you know what you're doing, it just requires a few minor tools like a scale and a press. People who do a lot of shooting will make their own reloads, as they are much cheaper than new cartridges. You do have to know how to spot cartridges that are no lomger suitable for reloading.
You forgot to mention your gun dealing license. You're slipping, Commander.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

User avatar
Ice Cream Jonsey
Posts: 25241
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2002 2:44 pm
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: Cyberganked guns

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Flack wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:55 am My two cents, and take it or leave it, but at some point you have to decide if you are writing an adventure game or a gun simulator. As a player, I'd be fine with two choices, "handgun" and "rifle." If you want to add 10 different brands with different damage capabilities and firing distances and ac curacies that's certainly fine, I'm just not sure all the time invested really makes the game any better or worse from a player's standpoint.
I think that for some RPG players they like upgrading the equipment and getting small advantages there. I think there's just three kinds of ammunition (shells, rubber bullets and rockets) since I didn't want to do the Fallout/Wasteland thing of keeping guns around because you found bullets and keeping bullets around because you might find guns that use it. Jizaboz's mention of the Walther P38 brings up a point I want to address:

You'll probably have access to the Beretta before the Walther. Both are perfectly fine. However, one of the guns was the one Megatron was based after. There won't be any references to that fact (I have been searching eBay for the last month for an affordable Generation 1 Megatron toy) in the game, but the model I am going to use is not going to be a real Walther P38 but a Megatron toy. So that gives some players a decision, do you stick with the original gun or get the Walther? What if the Walther was a tiny bit worse? Each gun also has a percentage for a critical strike, what if the Walther has a higher critical strike percentage, but worse maximum damage? What if it does more minimal damage? The Walther is "cooler" for some people, but I'd bet many won't remember or care that it was the basis for some toy robot in another franchise.

Some players don't care about that stuff, I flip between it myself when I play these kinds of games. The ideal is always to have interesting choices for the players, but also I like just having choices in general. And once the system is in place and the object classes are defined, it's more work to find pictures of these items than to add them to the game.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

User avatar
Tdarcos
Posts: 7646
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Contact:

Re: Cyberganked guns

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:48 am You forgot to mention your gun dealing license. You're slipping, Commander.
i never got my license. I got really bad blindness before and had to abandon the attempt.
"Perhaps she'll understand, if you tell it to her, plain."
- Don McLean, Castles in the Air

User avatar
Billy Mays
Posts: 2647
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:33 am

Re: Cyberganked guns

Post by Billy Mays »

Tdarcos wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:15 am What do people call those cylindrical round things the put in handguns or rifles or in magazines to shoot?

Almost universally people call them "bullets" after the projectile fired out the front of the gun that is intended to hit the target. That is wrong, as any firearm manufactured in the last 100 years fires "cartridges" not bullets. unless it fires shotgun shells.

A cartridge consists of a bullet, with a quantity of gunpowder, surrounded by a casing. When the gun is fired, the hammer slams the firing pin into the back of the cartridge, igniting the gunpowder, causing a small explosion. This rips the cartridge open, expending the explosion as energy, which propels the bullet forward out of the barrel, leaving the expended cartridge behind. A revolver will advance to the next chamber, a semi-automatic will eject the used cartridge, often referred to as "brass" then load the next round from the magazine.

If you shoot a semi-automatic there should be brass ejected on the ground; in the case of a revolver, the brass remains in the chambers and has to be manually ejected using the release lever. Typically, in a firefight if using a revolver, you "dump the brass" and empty the shell casings on the ground.

Used cartridges can be recycled, by putting a quantity of gunpowder and a new bullet into them, then crimping the end closed. this can be done multiple times if you know what you're doing, it just requires a few minor tools like a scale and a press. People who do a lot of shooting will make their own reloads, as they are much cheaper than new cartridges. You do have to know how to spot cartridges that are no lomger suitable for reloading.
I went through a pretty thorough point by point explaining how basically everything in here is wrong but then lost all motivation to submit it. Just assume basically everything in here is wrong.

User avatar
Tdarcos
Posts: 7646
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Contact:

Re: Cyberganked guns

Post by Tdarcos »

Billy Mays wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:25 pm
Tdarcos wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:15 am What do people call those cylindrical round things the put in handguns or rifles or in magazines to shoot?

Almost universally people call them "bullets" after the projectile fired out the front of the gun that is intended to hit the target.[deleted]
I went through a pretty thorough point by point explaining how basically everything in here is wrong but then lost all motivation to submit it. Just assume basically everything in here is wrong.
Oh, yeah, "Because I say so," answers everything!

The Bible is the inerrant and perfect Word of God. Why? Because I say so!
Trump is the best Presindent and is always right. Why? Because I say so!
You're wrong. Why? Because I say so!

I guess that settles it.
"Perhaps she'll understand, if you tell it to her, plain."
- Don McLean, Castles in the Air

Post Reply