RetroRomper vs. Pinback SHOWMATCH!

Let's make some video games!

Moderator: Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:Look, I had a specific amount of time I had set aside, and we were already over that, because ROBB SHERWIN RUINED SC2 NIGHT.

Well, first TDARCOS' INTERNET RUINED IT.
Not to be one to defend Comcast, I have generally found their internet to be fairly good. I'll run a test now.

Speedtest.net gives the following results, from here in University Park, MD, about 4 miles from DC:

City, ping, D/L speed (Mbps), U/L speed (mbps)

Los Angeles, 77ms, 3.24, 4.06
Blythe CA, 182, 3.08, 3.50
Palo Alto CA, 98, 2.05, 4.02
Seattle (Comcast), 90, 2.89, 4.00
Oklahoma City, 61, 4.33, 4.10
Boise ID, 174, 2.80, 3.34
Philadelphia (Comcast), 19, 9.55, 4.18
Indianapolis, 47, 13.03, 4.17
Denver (Comcast), 65, 3.11, 4.13
Casper WY, 249, 2.05, 2.44
Washington DC (Speedtest.net), 13, 24.29, 4.22
Seacaucus NJ, 19, 20.66, 4.26
Miami (Comcast), 40, 12.55, 4.15

So it indicates that West Coast connections are terrible but some sites in the midwest do surprisingly better than east coast. And staying point-to-point on Comcast's own network doesn't mean your speed is that much higher than competitors.

Of course, this is 3:30 in the morning it can be expected to be faster than at times with heavier usage such as 9-5 or 7-midnight.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Personally, I didn't notice anything wrong, the game looked okay to me. But I note people complained when I played DOOM against them with my 386 (the computer Ben sold me) and they were running a 486. They said the game ran slowly against me. I never noticed.

I forgot to add in the previous message about ping speed, what I was going to say is that it might not necessarily have been Comcast (although I did not wish to necessarily exonerate them, they've had lots of problems), it is possible the unsatisfactory performance with me spectating could have been as a result the speed of my computer.

I am running a Dell Optiplex 740, 64-bit 2.2ghz machine running 32-bit Windows XP Professional. The video is NVidia GEForce 6150LE and without rebooting the machine I can't determine video memory, it's probably 128 meg. (The computer itself I upgraded from 1 to 3GB.) Disk space isn't an issue, as I've stated many times, it's a brand new (as in less than 6 months old) 2 trillion byte drive with over a TB free.

When I play StarCraft II in the 3 free missions or the ("hungry animals") Zerg Campaign, it is usually running as the only application; in this case I had Firefox also running so I could pass questions/comments through to this board. Doesn't matter, even though the game has self-selected for low video it always complains I should "reduce video settings and close other applications." Neat trick when it's running as the only app and is on the lowest settings, would it care to explain how?

I have another machine ("Cube") I run on a KVM, it's a 32-bit machine at 3ghz, but it's dual core; if processor speed is an issue AND if Starcraft II can use the extra capability of a dual-core processor it might be worth trying. Holy shit! I just tripped the KVM, went on Cube and looked it up; that machine only has 512 meg of memory! That would be a fool's errand to try. It's a home brew machine (I bought it from someone because I misread it as a dual core 64-bit machine) and I'd have to take it apart to find out what memory it needs in order to boost it.
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

pinback wrote:Can we all just have some time to cool off? Can we have some time? Maybe give it another go tomorrow or some time?
I can't justify logging in to a program that won't let me put it in windowed mode and then be unable to make comments and crack jokes.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
pinback wrote:Can we all just have some time to cool off? Can we have some time? Maybe give it another go tomorrow or some time?
I can't justify logging in to a program that won't let me put it in windowed mode
You can put it into windowed mode.
and then be unable to make comments and crack jokes.
You just wanted to DRAW COCKS ON THE SCREEN, Robb. That's all you ever wanted.

No, this was supposed to be a real SHOWMATCH, and people who were interested in watching, for the love of the game, could join in and watch. But there was none of that.

There was no love.

There were just reapers and immortals. And a shit-ton of marauders.

...BUT NO LOVE.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:You can put it into windowed mode.
I concur, I run SC2 in full screen, but you can run it in windowed mode and I did try it that way. I normally run it full screen so that when I play the game it will suspend.

Ben, do you think if I had run it windowed for spectating it might have improved (everyone else's) performance?
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote:
pinback wrote:You can put it into windowed mode.
I concur, I run SC2 in full screen, but you can run it in windowed mode and I did try it that way. I normally run it full screen so that when I play the game it will suspend.

Ben, do you think if I had run it windowed for spectating it might have improved (everyone else's) performance?
No.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

pinback wrote:You just wanted to DRAW COCKS ON THE SCREEN, Robb. That's all you ever wanted.
I'm good at it. And it costs the developers nothing.

Why won't they let me do something I'm good at? No - no, I'm sorry. I'm sorry! I just happen to love slow-drawing huge, thick, throbbing cocks over the 3D output of today's hottest games. And Blizzard took that away.

Congrats, Blizz.

Every since Activision bought them, all they've cared about is money.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:You just wanted to DRAW COCKS ON THE SCREEN, Robb. That's all you ever wanted.
That's all I wanted
Something special, something sacred -
In your eyes
For just one moment
To be bold and naked
At your side
- George Michael, Father Figure
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Why won't they let me do something I'm good at? No - no, I'm sorry. I'm sorry! I just happen to love slow-drawing huge, thick, throbbing cocks over the 3D output of today's hottest games. And Blizzard took that away.
"This is an example of a man in serious need of a blowjob."
- Robin Williams, Goooooood Moooorninggg Vieeeetnaaaam!
- No Doubt, Don't Speak