SC2 Streams That I Like

Let's make some video games!

Moderator: Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

SC2 Streams That I Like

Post by pinback »

As much as others might have you believe otherwise, the main joy of SC2 is watching all the free content you get on an hourly basis, most of which is more entertaining than 99% of everything else on the internet.

In this thread, I'll be introducing you to the SC2 community members who provide such content nearly continuously. If you already like SC2, they'll just increase your enjoyment, and if you don't, they might just suck you in with their enthusiasm, humor, and dedication.

No such thread would be complete without this first entry, so let's get him out of the way:

DAY[9]

Day[9] is the KING of SC2, even though we all suspect he would rather be playing Brood War. No matter. His dedication, and quality and quantity of output is unmatched, and without the Day[9] Daily (of which there have now been over four hundred episodes), the world would be a darker, darker place.

You may find him here, and you'll be a better person for it.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Coining the phrase "Destiny Cloud Fist" for the 1-1-1 (1 Barracks, 1 factory, 1 stardock (gate, whatever) build order, Husky is known for being the opposite of the more stress oriented Starcraft players as he is usually jovial, good humored, and instills his commentary and games with light hearted humor.

None of the other major personalities would have been able to produce this...

[youtube][/youtube]

And much of his Starcraft commentary, instills both a deep understanding of trying to explain tactics and ingraining a sense of education into the listener, but also takes each player at their best without resorting to insults or remarks that downplay their ability. His outlook on an arguably "cheap" start. used in the following game, outlines this understanding...

[youtube][/youtube]

The game for him, is a joy and while Day[9], Marcus, and Idra use their personality as a sort of blunt hammer in the movement and playing of the game, Husky steps around this by providing a constant sense of discovery and fun in his outlook on the activity. If those people who have become synonymous for many with SCII were lined up to be shot, Husky would likely be the only one allowed a reprieve: his good nature, banter, and generosity in playing the game has no bounds.
Last edited by RetroRomper on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Alright, I thought the thread was about streams that I like, but maybe I misread that.

(And, it's "Destiny Cloud Fist".)

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Shall we argue over my drunken midnight posts? Do we really really have to?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Pinback, what was your TAKE on Day[9] playing Skyrim? He made me go from not giving a shit about Skyrim to sort of wanting to get it in two years when it's $4.99 over Christmas on Steam.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

I didn't watch his Skyrim stuff. I did catch a few clips of him playing Amnesia, though, and holy crap.

You will believe a man can become terrified by a videogame and squeal like a little girl.

Tdarcos

Re: SC2 Streams That I Like

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:As much as others might have you believe otherwise, the main joy of SC2 is watching all the free content you get on an hourly basis, most of which is more entertaining than 99% of everything else on the internet.

In this thread, I'll be introducing you to the SC2 community members who provide such content nearly continuously. If you already like SC2, they'll just increase your enjoyment, and if you don't, they might just suck you in with their enthusiasm, humor, and dedication.

No such thread would be complete without this first entry, so let's get him out of the way:

DAY[9]

Day[9] is the KING of SC2, even though we all suspect he would rather be playing Brood War. No matter. His dedication, and quality and quantity of output is unmatched, and without the Day[9] Daily (of which there have now been over four hundred episodes), the world would be a darker, darker place.

You may find him here, and you'll be a better person for it.
Duh, I watched 10 minutes of one of his commentaries and I realized that it's 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

I knew - or I think I did - that he is in some manner describing how one player is setting up his game, and then, I think, how the other player saw what he was doing and how he would respond to it. But, to put it in simple terms, I have no idea what is going on, it makes no sense at all.

Perhaps they need an introduction or something, but I had absolutely no clue of what was going on, what the purpose was, what the intended result was or how you determine if you reached that result.

This was like someone [an 8-year-old?] watching a football commentator for the first time, most of what Day[9] was talking about went completely over my head. I don't understand any of this.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

pinback

Post by pinback »

Well, yes, I do suppose that part of enjoying an SC2 commentator is that you know and/or care anything about the subject matter.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

pinback

Post by pinback »

MaximusBlack is also a stream that I like.

Also, every time Robb sends me his new favorite song, it always sounds like this to me:

[youtube][/youtube]

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:Well, yes, I do suppose that part of enjoying an SC2 commentator is that you know and/or care anything about the subject matter.

What the fuck is wrong with you?
What the fuck is wrong with me? This question despirately needs to be reversed.

You expend countless amounts of energy, time and potentially money over some game that is totally unintelligible to the average person not playing.

I mean, at least with American Football the objective is for your side to get the ball across the other side's end zone and to deny them from doing the same. And if you watch a football game even if you don't know the game that well - as I don't - you can figure out what's going on.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" needs to be reversed, and you need to ask it of yourself.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Ice Cream Jonsey

Pinback? Are you gonna just sit there and take that?

pinback

Post by pinback »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Pinback? Are you gonna just sit there and take that?
If I answered his question, then I'd set a precedent for answering any other questions he comes up with while replying to a post that was two weeks (then two months, then eighteen years...) old.

It's a slippery slope.

Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback wrote:MaximusBlack is also a stream that I like.

Also, every time Robb sends me his new favorite song, it always sounds like this to me:

[youtube][/youtube]
You are correct, this is every pop punk song ever.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

I know Day[9] is bloody hilarious but is anyone on this forum capable of showing Husky a bit of love? The guy is good natured to a fault and his commentary is always informative while being at the very least, vaguely amusing.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Back in my SC2 days, I would watch Husky casts on a nightly basis.

Husky.

Good guy.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Why don't you giv e links

pinback

Post by pinback »

And I will SEE you guyyyyys NEXT TIIIIIIIIIIIME.

[youtube][/youtube]

EDIT: I didn't pick this specific video for any particular reason, it was just the latest cast on his YouTube channel. But it does highlight the main three things that characterize a Husky cask:

1. He starts each cast with "Hello everyone, this is H-to-the-usky Husky", verbatim.

2. He ends each cast with "And I will SEE YOU GUYYYYYS NEXT TIIIIIIME", verbatim.

3. In between 1 and 2 is pretty decent casting, and unlike other casters like HD, most of the words he says are actual words.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Just watched a play through of Diablo III on a projector...

[youtube][/youtube]

The other day, my friends and I spent an hour watching "1000 marines vs 4000 zerglings LOL" type videos, but we were more mesmerized by day9's witty banter in regards to D3 than those few tidbits of balance fun.