2012 Season 4

Let's make some video games!

Moderator: Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

2012 Season 4

Post by pinback »

Instead of calling it Season 9, they're calling it 2012 Season 4 now, and it just started.

Oh, in other news, I'm in FUCKING BRONZE again.

FUCK THIS SHIT.

I am getting out of bronze and then never playing again.

QUEST TO SILVER, HERE WE GO.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

What happened to The Greatest Game On Earth?

Did Blizzard really turn the game to crap with that update?

THE
WHA-HOPPEN
AARDVARK

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote:What happened to The Greatest Game On Earth? Did Blizzard really turn the game to crap with that update?
Is it me or does it seem like game companies are always infused with the inverse Midas touch, where everything they get hold of turns, not to gold, but to shit?
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

pinback

Post by pinback »

I have no idea what either of you are talking about. It's still the greatest game on Earth. I just hadn't played it for many months, preferring instead to watch pros.

The update in question just made some UI modifications, most of which I don't like, BUT they took the giant Tychus Findlay face off the main screen so you don't have to stare up GIANT HAIRY MAN NOSTRILS every time you load up the game, and that pretty much trumps all the things I didn't like about it.

Anyway, it was just the menus and stuff. The game itself was unaffected.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

For custom games, they actually improved the interface by reimplementing Battle.net 1.0 features such as open game rooms, private matches, and adding three new ways of exposing players to new maps: spotlight, featured maps, and rankings. Being able to bookmark, search for, and explicitly save maps makes the entire experience less frustrating if one is into games that "are not SCII as you know it."

The UI for normal matches though? God is that horrible...

Retro

pinback

Post by pinback »

Since being placed into Bronze after my placement match, I have played six games against Silvers and Goldies, and have lost zero of them. Yet there I remain, amongst the Bronze filth.

I want to be promoted out of Bronze, and I want a SIGNED, PERSONALIZED LETTER FROM DUSTIN BROWDER APOLOGIZING FOR THIS DISRESPECTFUL ACT.

I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH.

pinback

Post by pinback »

RetroRomper wrote:The UI for normal matches though? God is that horrible...
Just to reiterate this, here's a little "before and after":

BEFORE
---------
1. Load up SC2.
2. Click on the big giant button that says "Quick Match"
3. Click on the type of game (1v1, 2v2, etc.) of your choice, and your preferred race (by clicking on the buttons labelled "Terran", "Zerg", etc.)
4. Play! PLAY, my son!

AFTER
---------
1. Load up SC2.

2. Click on the button labelled "Starcraft". What the-- I just... I just loaded up SC2! Yes, I WOULD like to play Starcraft!

3. Click on the "quick match" button, which is now the second item down in the SECOND column of buttons you can press. The number one thing people do with this program, the ONLY THING MOST PEOPLE EVER DO WITH IT, is now halfway down the right-hand side of a two-column button menu.

4. Select the game type and race, but now instead of clicking "Zerg" or "Terran", you click a giant artists rendering of whatever race you're trying to play. The "highlighted" color for these buttons is about a single RGB byte higher than the normal color, so even as you've clicked "ready", you're still not sure, because there's no way to prove you've selected the right race without turning contrast to max and pressing your face against the screen.

So yeah, that part's worse.

[cynical Blizzard hater guy]But they're trying to draw more attention to the parts they're about to monetize.[/cynical Blizzard hater guy]

pinback

Post by pinback »

Well, that's... that's better.

pinback

Post by pinback »

And that's MORE GODDAMN LIKE IT. DUSTIN. YOU FAG.