Ice Cream Jonsey

Welcome to a game named Drifter.

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Screenshots coming momentarily.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

This is gonna be great.

I have many things to say about Drifter. But I so desperately want ICJ to SELL ONE ITEM in one of these games that I am just holding my breath.

Oh God. Please sell one item!!!!!
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I bought antimatter!

If you click on that, it gets bigger!

Ice Cream Jonsey

By the way, I love the fact that he has plain icons on the screen and that the trading menu is uncomplicated. I don't care that it doesn't "look" "triple A." It's more than that. It's useful.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Now you're drifting like a motherfucker!

pinback

Post by pinback »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:By the way, I love the fact that he has plain icons on the screen and that the trading menu is uncomplicated. I don't care that it doesn't "look" "triple A." It's more than that. It's useful.
I believe the next major release (0.6) includes the "complete UI overhaul", so enjoy it while it lasts...

Ice Cream Jonsey

OK. I bought anti matter.

Can I just buy anything in the stores and sell it elsewhere to make money? Or is there a way to get an economy report?

pinback

Post by pinback »

No economy report that I can find.

Note: You can also do "missions" to make money.

"Missions".

(You can also "mine ore by shootin' asteroids".)

ChainGangGuy

Post by ChainGangGuy »

Jonsey, tell us more about this ship of yours.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I might be fucked here.
The galaxy map allows you to view remote star systems and select them so you can travel to them using your hyperspace jump drive. Use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out. Click on the map or a star system to center the view/select a star system.
My trackball does not have a scroll wheel.

How do I select a system to travel to??

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ben, I need your help!

pinback

Post by pinback »

You need a scroll wheel. What kind of goddamn trackball doesn't have a scroll wheel in 2014?

Who still uses trackballs in 2014?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:You need a scroll wheel. What kind of goddamn trackball doesn't have a scroll wheel in 2014?

Who still uses trackballs in 2014?
I am afraid to say I must agree with Pinback here. With your typical $3.95 USB mouse having 200DPI resolution, what possible advantage can you get out of a trackball that a mouse won't give you?

About the only thing I can see where a trackball might be of more use is a handicapped person - like myself - who has problems manipulating a wrist but can do things with fingertips.

But, if you're going to have a trackball I would think you'd spend the $4 (presuming your computer didn't come with a mouse and you don't have a spare) and put the mouse on the computer too, so that both devices can be used.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I just went on Amazon; the cheapest trackball is about $22 and the cheapest mouse is about $4 (all mice are 3-wheel), so if you're going to use a trackball it would make sense to have a mouse as well. Each has its own uses. There are some applications where a text editor is a better choice than a word processor. And some where a text editor won't cut it.

In fact, given the soreness I get in my hands I'm thinking I might just get a trackball and see if having it as an addition to the mouse makes a lot of ordinary work less fatiguing, given my wrist problems.
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

Here's what a trackball buys you: the need to NEVER lift your entire goddamn arm and heave it across the desk to keep circle-strafing. You just flick your thumb (the logitech trackman is the only TRUE trackball. Those ICJ center-ball finger-twitchers are insane) and you can keep turning FOREVER. In exactly 6 inches of desk space. The perfect setup for those LAN parties I stopped attending 20 years ago!

pinback

Post by pinback »

The Happiness Engine wrote:Here's what a trackball buys you: the need to NEVER lift your entire goddamn arm and heave it across the desk to keep circle-strafing. You just flick your thumb (the logitech trackman is the only TRUE trackball. Those ICJ center-ball finger-twitchers are insane) and you can keep turning FOREVER. In exactly 6 inches of desk space. The perfect setup for those LAN parties I stopped attending 20 years ago!
ICJ has never, and will never, use the goddamn trackball to circle-strafe.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I'm going to break the face of everyone disrespecting trackballs in this thread.

Some of you people are amazing. "Steve Jobs wasn't introduced to a trackball at PARC and didn't steal it wholesale! So the mouse must be BETTER!"

The trackball is 100% better, more efficient and more effective than the mouse. It's not even close. Every single application in the world benefits with a trackball.

I'll deal with your terrible arguments first chance I get. This is NOT a safe space any longer. This is NOT a friendly thread.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:The trackball is 100% better, more efficient and more effective than the mouse. It's not even close. Every single application in the world benefits with a trackball.
You cannot play RTS games or be any good at action games with a trackball.

(You also cannot play Drifter with a trackball but that's not entirely the trackball's fault.)

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:I'm going to break the face of everyone disrespecting trackballs in this thread.

Some of you people are amazing. "Steve Jobs wasn't introduced to a trackball at PARC and didn't steal it wholesale! So the mouse must be BETTER!"

The trackball is 100% better, more efficient and more effective than the mouse. It's not even close. Every single application in the world benefits with a trackball.

I'll deal with your terrible arguments first chance I get. This is NOT a safe space any longer. This is NOT a friendly thread.
Please note that I did not disrespect trackballs. I simply said that a mouse is 20% of the price, and is there an improvement over it that justifies the increased price? In fact I noted that it might be worth having because of my own injuries, and try having both and see if the trackball provides an improvement.
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I found the mouse that came with my new computer was cheaply made; I, having carpal tunnel system and a weak right hand, broke the scroll wheel so it doesn't seem to spin anymore.

So, I decided to buy a new lighted mouse for $3.85 plus $0.89 shipping. I also bought a $22 trackball to see if it helps with the occasional wrist pain from excessive mouse motion. The trackball is a two button type, and is advertised as staying put.
- No Doubt, Don't Speak