The Pursuit of a Creative Pursuit

Let's make some video games!

Moderator: Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

The Pursuit of a Creative Pursuit

Post by pinback »

In the midst of depression and alcoholism, there's often not enough energy to do anything other than drink, maybe snack, watch TV, play video games. Anything passive to kill time, but nothing more strenuous than that.

It occurs to me now, looking at my huge library of Steam games for the thousandth time, and not wanting to play any of them for the 998th time (I enjoyed Beyond Earth a couple times), that I, like most people, enjoy being creative. Working on something, creating something is eminently more satisfying that passive endeavors.

I think part of the reason I have trouble clicking on any of the hundreds of game icons I have swirling around my drive is that I know it will take time, and energy, and at the end, nothing will have been accomplished. Nothing will have been created.

For me, at least, and likely for most, the recovery process must include something creative. Something fulfilling to do with the time other than drink, other than watch Family Guy, other than watching Twitch and Liveleak videos.

So.

What to do, what to do.

There's always the text adventure thing, but in honesty, I don't think I have what it takes to do what ICJ does, and I don't have the passion for it to see a project through to completion. I don't love it.

Some creative endeavor, with something I love.

What to do, what to do.

I made a NoLimits 2 video a couple months ago. I used to love coasters. I used to love designing them in NoLimits 1. A couple of my creations were even mildly well received.

Being a man with a wife and mortgage, though, I'm afraid to dedicate myself to doing something that ultimately will not make our future any more secure.

But maybe that's not important right now, and recovery has to take the top spot on the to-do list.

Maybe I should start doing NoLimits 2 hardcore.

I used to like playing music. Maybe I should do that.

I need to find something. NoLimits 2 would tie together the two topics of this base pretty well.

I could start the radio show again, or some version of it.

What else, what else...

I dunno. Just throwing out some ideas, but I think it's an important topic.

And not to go too Retro on you, but I think I'm gonna uninstall all of my games. I think in my heart that's why I never really enjoyed playing them. I knew they were killing time that I could have been spending getting better.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

RealNC

Re: The Pursuit of a Creative Pursuit

Post by RealNC »

pinback wrote:I think I'm gonna uninstall all of my games.
Tomorrow, Elite: Dangerous is getting its first major update, v1.1.

Just sayin'...

pinback

Post by pinback »

Well yeah, other than that one.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

What if you remade Pyro 2 as an Android app? You'd make thousands.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

Not bad, not bad.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Welp, it's done. All games have been uninstalled except for Elite: Dangerous and CS:GO.

Retro said I should always only ever have two games installed, so this should make him happy.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

I have almost all of my Steam games installed. I never play them. But one has to be prepared for the zombie apocalypse. When if something happens? Some global disaster? Third world war? There's no way to download any games then, now is there.

pinback

Post by pinback »

No, but then there's also no way to start them.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Preparations include power generators for your PC, obviously.

pinback

Post by pinback »

You have to connect to Steam to start Steam games.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

pinback wrote:You have to connect to Steam to start Steam games.
That's a common misconception. Steam does not have always-online DRM. You can play your games without an Internet connection. Indefinitely. (Unless the game itself has always-online DRM. The majority of games doesn't.)

It's easy to be prepared for the unthinkable. Other people care about food and water. Clearly your video game collection should not be ignored.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Alright, let's get back to the topic at hand.

(Also you need to connect at least once to set it into offline mode.)

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

pinback wrote:Yes, indeed. Let's stay on-topic.

(Also, you don't need to connect at least once. If there's no internet, it goes into offline mode and can stay there forever.)

pinback

Post by pinback »

RealNC wrote:
pinback wrote:Yes, indeed. Let's stay on-topic.

(Also, you don't need to connect at least once. If there's no internet, it goes into offline mode and can stay there forever.)
Couldn't have said it better myself.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Steam support wrote: Please note that you must connect to the Steam Network and test each of the games you would like to use in Offline Mode at least once to set up your account and configure Offline Mode on your machine.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Wait, I traded in CS:GO for Civ: Beyond Earth. (See: relaxation).

CS:GO is not relaxing.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Stay on-topic................. stay on-topic.

I would like to see Pyro 2 become an Android app. It would allow me to enjoy Pyro 2. It would be fun to code, you have the design already and you would be creative and make the world a better place.

I'll front whatever fee is required to submit the thing to Android when it is complete.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:I would like to see Pyro 2 become an Android app... I'll front whatever fee is required to submit the thing to Android when it is complete.
It's a fee of $25 to register for the Google Play store, and it's a one-time fee no matter how many apps you have. I registered about 5 or 6 months ago when I was working on Cetka.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:I would like to see Pyro 2 become an Android app... I'll front whatever fee is required to submit the thing to Android when it is complete.
It's a fee of $25 to register for the Google Play store, and it's a one-time fee no matter how many apps you have. I registered about 5 or 6 months ago when I was working on Cetka.
Thank you, Commander.