In this thread, we develop a roguelike.

Let's make some video games!

Moderator: Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

Post by pinback »

You tell ME what size you want the sprites to be, then you gimme a file with 'em in it.

This is a full-service operation!
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback, on Caltrops wrote:Please tell me what the bug is, because I guarantee it isn't.
I could tell you what the error is, but you might not believe me, so a picture will prove it.

Look at these two examples, then answer me one little question.

If this does not constitute a bug, then what is a door that is in a corner, and does nothing, for?

Full size images compressed from http://paul-robinson.us/jr-1.png and http://paul-robinson.us/jr-2.png
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Wait, I don't believe it's a bug unless it's been certified by Paul's official crazy picture verification process.

WE HAVE BEEN DUPED!
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

I will look into the method by which doors are determined.

Well, mainly I will look for a better map generator, which should take care of that problem.

Thank you for the report.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Well, mainly I will look for a better map generator, which should take care of that problem.
Simple solution: when inserting a door, check that it's in a "choke point", e.g. an empty spot where the walls to the right and left are present, and the squares above and below are empty, or walls above and below present, right and left are empty. If you want doors anywhere in a corridor, this should suffice. For an actual entrance, either within the area 1 or two squares away, it is open for at least two squares, possibly in both directions (right and left or up and down, depending on corridor orientation), on one or both sides.

By the way, did rogue ever have teleporters? Like the secret passage in Clue that transports across the board? Would this be useful? Allowing someone on a far end to go across to the other side or it draws a crossover tunnel.

Also, I looked over the JavaScript files. I'm thinking this is like a conversion from a desktop application. The use of "VK" constants implies someone using the Visual C library identifiers for keys.
pinback wrote:Thank you for the report.
You are very welcome, sir.

Now, care to admit that, for once, I actually was right and this is a bug?
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

AAAArdvark

Post by AAAArdvark »

Flack wrote:Wait, I don't believe it's a bug unless it's been certified by Paul's official crazy picture verification process.

WE HAVE BEEN DUPED!
Uh, Flack, we don't need picture verifications. We have logins. It was a nice try at humor, but it doesn't work.

THE
SINGLE-SIGN-ON
AAAARDVARK

"This is an official forged post. Avoid imitations, insist on authentic forgeries."

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote:Also, I looked over the JavaScript files. I'm thinking this is like a conversion from a desktop application.

Now, care to admit that, for once, I actually was right and this is a bug?
It is a bug. Thank you.

pinback

Post by pinback »

http://joltrogue.pinback.space

RELEASE NOTES, v0.004

- Fancy new retro-future startup screen, which took WAY longer than I thought, because Javascript has no "sleep(x)" function. Trying to animate stuff in Javascript is a stygian nightmare that I wouldn't wish on Heinrich Himmler.

- Paul is alive! Right now he just randomly rolls around, occasionally slamming into walls, but I figure that's pretty realistic.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Everything seemed to work that's supposed to. At one point I ended up on the same square as Paul and it didn't crush me to death so that might be a bug.

pinback

Post by pinback »

v0.004a: Paul now represented by the handicapped figure, as God intended.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Not an issue you're likely to address, but on my laptop (1366x768) the whole page doesn't fit on the screen, so when you move around with the arrow keys, the screen is constantly scrolling up and down which makes it feel like you are playing the game on an ocean liner.

On the desktop machine, it works perfectly.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Well, all that stuff can/will be modified, but thank you for alerting me. This is, in truth, all "proof of concept". The "game before the game", if you will. Also, "the only game development project in the past 20 years that I haven't quit immediately after coming up with a name and registering the domain."

Flack

Post by Flack »

So far, I'm impressed.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

pinback wrote:Trying to animate stuff in Javascript is a stygian nightmare that I wouldn't wish on Heinrich Himmler.
Hey, I heard that he finally got a chance to use his own maneuver the other day! He was out at a restaurant and killed six million Jews.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
pinback wrote:Trying to animate stuff in Javascript is a stygian nightmare that I wouldn't wish on Heinrich Himmler.
Hey, I heard that he finally got a chance to use his own maneuver the other day! He was out at a restaurant and killed six million Jews.
No, he was at a tenement and killed six million cockroaches. As Robert Short said in Something to Believe in: Is Kurt Vonnegut The Exorcist of Jesus Christ Superstar, "Morality can only exist with immortality. If there is no afterlife, and when people die they suffer annihilation, then the murder of six million Jews by the Nazis is of no more significance than the murder of six million cockroaches when a tenement is fumigated."

More bugs: (1) my wheelchair vanishes on some moves.
(2) When someone uses ctrl+ to expand the screen, movements cause the screen to scroll in that direction

And I like the way you mention I keep dropping android tablets.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

More bugs:

Running into the wheelchair has no effect except the player's sprite vanishes, or sometimes the wheelchair does. It comes back in a move or two.

May I suggest doing a $POST value or using the session cookie when someone does ctrl-R to restart the game to indicate the initial animation has already been shown. The animation is cute the first time but having to watch it over and over gets tiring.

You could also have the wheelchair, at some point, roll to a corner, then leave something, with message "Paul just went to the bathroom."

Also, you might want to have adjustments for people who have vision problems or color blindness. High Contrast or change colors.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Tdarcos wrote:No, he was at a tenement and killed six million cockroaches. As Robert Short said in Something to Believe in: Is Kurt Vonnegut The Exorcist of Jesus Christ Superstar, "Morality can only exist with immortality. If there is no afterlife, and when people die they suffer annihilation, then the murder of six million Jews by the Nazis is of no more significance than the murder of six million cockroaches when a tenement is fumigated."
Let's stay on topic, pal.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote:May I suggest doing a $POST value or using the session cookie when someone does ctrl-R to restart the game to indicate the initial animation has already been shown. The animation is cute the first time but having to watch it over and over gets tiring.
After it says "Welcome to JOLTROGUE", you don't have to wait for it to finish before pressing a key.
Also, you might want to have adjustments for people who have vision problems or color blindness. High Contrast or change colors.
Fuck them.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Introducing: TILEROGUE - A Jolt Country Games Joint

Same kinda deal, just with SPACE-AGE GRAPHICS instead of ASCII (and no cool loading/win screens):

http://joltrogue.pinback.space/tile.html

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

Just got a corner door. not going to bother to screenshot it, make a throw-away hosting, fight embedding the link here, and then have it age out and die in 3 weeks anyways. Rooms joined in a cornre with a 2 wide but 1 deep overlap, and door inna odd corner of that.