New NoLimits Coaster: The RANCHO RUMBLER.

Let's make some video games!

Moderator: Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

New NoLimits Coaster: The RANCHO RUMBLER.

Post by pinback »

The first Pinback coaster in nearly a decade, this is only a very early sneak peek, not close to done, but the basic layout is done, so comments are welcome. It's a high-speed wooden out-and-back with more airtime than a Lord of the Rings marathon on BBC America:

[youtube][/youtube]
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

This coaster would be okay for a 1950s "retro" wooden coaster, but if it's supposed to be something current I don't think it works. Not enough turns or twists or excitement. Up, down, up down. Boooooring. Do a high lift then a spiral, or perhaps a corkscrew. Dip all the way undergound for ten feet, maybe through an underground tunnel, or run a little underground then pop out into another climb. Have two tracks approach each other on a head-on course, then veer off at the last minute. Be more interesting if one of them went under the other one (if you can do that) otherwise have them miss each other either at a 45 or 90 degree angle.

A 2:45 it's not bab but I suggest at least a 3:45 or 4:00 time.

Also, does this game have statistics? Roller Coaster Tycoon has statistical estimates for G force, excitement and nausea level. You ain't really impressed the public until they tell their friend about the ride and even have the automatic picture of them puking up the hot dogs,. soda, cotton candy, popcorn and funnel cakes they ate.

"Opening this week at Six Flags Death Valley. Our newest coaster, only for the true roller-coaster enthusiast, it's so strong you have to sign a waiver! Not only will we guarantee that you'll lose your lunch, if this coaster doesn't make you barf up your guts, lungs, heart and liver, we'll give you your money back. Come ride The Windowmaker opening this week at Six Flags Death Valley, near Furnace Creek."
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

I don't have the ennerrrrgyyyy to reply to this right now. Suffice it to say, everything you said was wrong and/or terrible.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I want to apologize, I wasn't watching and forgot to check that it was in Troll Room. I'm sorry and I will try harder not to make the mistake again.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I'll add one thing in order to show my sincerity. I wasn't even trying that hard and found this on the first try after about 20 sec. searching, it's from a real roller coaster, and it essentially does everything I said. Every section has at least one side shift, flip or combined drop and roll. The thing I was wrong about was the time, this is about a minute and a half, but I don't know how much was cut.

[youtube][/youtube]

pinback

Post by pinback »

There is no point in getting into this with you, but suffice it to say that, because one type of coaster exists, that does not mean that other types of coasters are obsolete.

To wit: The Coney Island Cyclone, which has now been around for 90 years, is still one of the most thrilling coasters in the world. And it doesn't have a single loop, "side shift, flip or combined drop and roll".

pinback

Post by pinback »

And what my Rancho Rumbler has that your "Iron Rattler" does not, is a metric fuck-ton of extreme airtime.

Do not reply to this until you are sure you know what is meant by "airtime".

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:There is no point in getting into this with you, but suffice it to say that, because one type of coaster exists, that does not mean that other types of coasters are obsolete.
Are they still building them that way now, on new coasters?
To wit: The Coney Island Cyclone, which has now been around for 90 years, is still one of the most thrilling coasters in the world.
To wit: Benjamin Parish, who has now been around for over 40 years, is still failing to read what I wrote. I said, if you were trying to do (a "retro" coaster, that is), one of those from the 1950s (and while I didn't say it outright, I think I was implying "or earlier") that was a different story.

Fact is, if you want your coaster properly judged you should say what you're targeting it at. If you make no explanations you have to presume it will be judged against current coasters being built now. And that was how I judged it.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote:
pinback wrote:There is no point in getting into this with you, but suffice it to say that, because one type of coaster exists, that does not mean that other types of coasters are obsolete.
Are they still building them that way now, on new coasters?
Yes.

To wit: Benjamin Parish, who has now been around for over 40 years, is still failing to read what I wrote. I said, if you were trying to do (a "retro" coaster, that is), one of those from the 1950s (and while I didn't say it outright, I think I was implying "or earlier") that was a different story.
They are not "retro".
You have to presume it will be judged against current coasters being built now.
They are still being built now.

EDIT:

As in this one, which is opening in 2017:

https://mystictimbers.visitkingsisland.com/
Last edited by pinback on Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Tdarcos, do you like coney dogs?
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Could we get less shallow, more gradual turns? A couple of them feel pretty abrupt.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Example?

To answer Paul's earlier questions, there are tons of very specific statistics/metrics in this simulator (the same one was used for mine as was used for the Kings Island one above), and they're all currently within bounds.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote:Tdarcos, do you like coney dogs?
Flack, this is off topic as the subject of this message is Pinback's coaster and what we think of it, including comparisons.

I can't answer this here, as I do not wish to get banned further. Also I don't know what is the difference between Coney dogs and regular ones. Ask me in a food forum or Troll Room.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

The tunnel was a bit anti-climatic since the reveal was just the base of a hill.

The ride demonstrates many of the classic wooden roller coaster features such as the horseshoe, headchoppers, and camelbacks, but it just got really sluggish in many parts. Perhaps a higher lift hill would give it the extra bit of momentum that it needs?

Paul: The video you provided is not an appropriate one since it is of a wooden hybrid coaster.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

RetroRomper wrote:Could we get less shallow, more gradual turns? A couple of them feel pretty abrupt.
I actually felt the exact opposite in regards to the turns. I would have liked to have seen them more aggressive with additional turning elements since they only appear for a very limited amounts of time in the overall ride duration.

pinback

Post by pinback »

The purpose of this ride is airtime, and that's about it.

I think if you'll check the vertical-G statistics, which I have not provided, you'll find that even the "sluggish" parts are imparting serious fucking air.

But since your two suggestions are conflicting, now I don't know what to think.

Also I don't remember asking for notes, but my memory's not what it used to be.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I apologize for the length of this message in advance but I can't answer you fairly in a short message. Well, it's not too bad, it's only 12 lines not counting this advisory.
pinback wrote:The purpose of this ride is airtime, and that's about it.
And it might have been helpful if you had pointed this out. Do you remember when you wanted to do something with a coaster design and wanted to make the sections relatively consistent, or something like that. I, either in this account or in one of my nom de plumes said to look at the side segments of fence rails, count each one and if they're the same size then the same number in each case will be the same length of track.

If you want a response on a specific issue you have to ask or you probably won't get it.
I think if you'll check the vertical-G statistics, which I have not provided,
Comment by theist on typical Christian apologetic YouTube video: Why, there's lots of evidence of the existence of God! [Goes onto other subject, never mentioning a single piece of evidence.]
Also I don't remember asking for notes, but my memory's not what it used to be.
You originally said, "so comments are welcome" - go look, I cut and pasted it from your posting - therefore you put no restrictions on what people could say about your coaster as long as it was relevant to it.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Tdarcos wrote:
Flack wrote:Tdarcos, do you like coney dogs?
Flack, this is off topic as the subject of this message is Pinback's coaster and what we think of it, including comparisons.

I can't answer this here, as I do not wish to get banned further. Also I don't know what is the difference between Coney dogs and regular ones. Ask me in a food forum or Troll Room.
How do you determine which rules you will break and which ones you won't? I'm asking for a friend.

Also, Coneys are hot dogs covered in meat sauce, cheese, onions, sometimes mustard, and never ketchup. Here in the midwest they often serve "mini" ones (think of White Castle burgers) so you might get half a dozen in an order. On the east coast, I think they mostly do full size Coney Island dogs.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Yeah, I think if someone asks Tdarcos a direct question, then hearing his answer is A-OK without the bother of starting a new thread.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote: Comment by theist on typical Christian apologetic YouTube video: Why, there's lots of evidence of the existence of God! [Goes onto other subject, never mentioning a single piece of evidence.]