POLL: You vs. Movie Critics

The Future of Radio begins now.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Which best describes your relationship with professional movie critics?

I trust them, but only specific ones.
No votes
I generally tend to agree with critics. If they say something sucks, it usually does.
10%
I'll look at them, but bad reviews don't keep me from watching something.
10%
I generally tend to disagree with critics. If they say something sucks, I'll probably like it.
10%
I discern no correlation between my opinions and professional critics.
40%
I never read, see, or hear about any professional critics' movie reviews.
30%
OTHER!??!?!?! (Explain below!)
No votes

Total votes: 10

pinback

POLL: You vs. Movie Critics

Post by pinback »

What's your TAKE?
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Re: POLL: You vs. Movie Critics

Post by AArdvark »

Shis-kabob and Eggbert really kinda sucked. The only other movie critic that I can remember is Kevin somebody that used to do phone-ins on Don and Mike. Guy was kinda hyper. I suppose if I had learned sign language or something the movie reviewers would have meant more than silent heads talking

pinback

Post by pinback »

Roger Ebert was the greatest film critic of all time. I disagreed with him a lot, but I don't rate critics based on how much I agree with them, I rate them based on how great they are as a critic.

I agreed with Siskel more, but as a critic, in written form, nobody could touch Ebert's big fat ass.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

With few exceptions, I have found critics reviews to be the exact opposite of what I thought of the movie. I figure the ones that got good reviews either paid more bribes or offered more coke to snort. Because these reviewers had to be stoned out of their mind to review the pieces of trash I hated as great films, or to pan the movies I loved.
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

I don't read them. I actively avoid them, in fact. They're full of shit.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

EDIT

Except RedLetterMedia. They're great and enjoyable even when they're wrong and full of shit.

pinback

Post by pinback »

This poll is going exactly the way I predicted. Good job, Pinback!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Flack, Ebert and RedLetterMedia are pretty good. Way back in like 2004 there were a couple critics called "B. Fatt & Lazy" and I liked them, but one of them abandoned the site and then they didn't keep it online.

If I see a movie reviewer (or reviewer of anything) quote a joke they are instantly garbage. I could be wrong, but Ebert never did that. It is a miracle, just as much a miracle as producing a baby that a joke gets created and out there for millions to see, I can't think of anything less useful than a reviewer that just flat-out quotes it (and it happens all the time when humorless twats "review" comedy specials).

So I dunno. Flack gives me a good sense if I should bother with the movie or not. Ebert was great at the whole, ya know, written criticism of it. RedLetterMedia I like mostly because I feel they have similar thoughts as I do when I see stuff, but I actually find myself watching their shows after I see a movie. There is no Norm of movie reviewing, but Rich Evans comes the closest?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

There is no Norm of movie reviewing
Flack is pretty close though

pinback

Post by pinback »

Okay, since I'm the only one here who generally agrees with the critical consensus, what's a movie you think was great that got less than a 70 on MRQE?

Not a movie you liked cuz it was fun and campy and had ghost sharks in it and you got a blowjob during the boring middle part. GREAT. That you'd say to a crowd of strangers looking for movie recommendations, here's one that'll knock your socks off.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:13 pm Okay, since I'm the only one here who generally agrees with the critical consensus, what's a movie you think was great that got less than a 70 on MRQE?

Not a movie you liked cuz it was fun and campy and had ghost sharks in it and you got a blowjob during the boring middle part. GREAT. That you'd say to a crowd of strangers looking for movie recommendations, here's one that'll knock your socks off.
No question. Hellfighters, a 1968 film starring John Wayne, Jim Hutton, Vera Miles, and Catherine Ross. Wayne plays Chance Buckman, the owner of an Oil Well firefighting company, and some fires they face, and have to figure out how to extinguish them. I thought it was a terrific movie, and I'd highly recommend it. The critics who saw it, not so much. The reviews it has, give it a low rating, low enough that it doesn't even have a score.
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

pinback wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:13 pm Okay, since I'm the only one here who generally agrees with the critical consensus, what's a movie you think was great that got less than a 70 on MRQE?
Event Horizon.

Flack

Post by Flack »

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/fight-club-1999
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

is fight club the one where Brad Pitt is actually the main character alter ego and we don't find out till the end? I think I read the book a long time ago. I suppose this is a Google moment but fuck it

Flack

Post by Flack »

I voted for "I discern no correlation between my opinions and professional critics."

When I was a kid, I could name 4 film critics: Gene Shalit, Leonard Maltin, and Siskel & Ebert. All three of them had television shows or segments. If movie reviews were a science, you would think these three shows would agree on which movies were good and which were bad, but they don't. I just looked up their reviews for 1980's The Shining. Ebert gave it 4/4 stars, Leonard Maltin gave it 2/4 stars, and Gene Shalit gave it a thumbs down and called it a huge let down.

Today we don't have three people doing reviews, we have three million. Maybe three billion. Because it's been all over the internet this week, take a look at the reviews of Halloween Kills on Rotten Tomatoes. It's almost right down the middle, with half the of the people calling it great and half calling it terrible.

Which means you get this:

"A film that so completely sucks the vitality out of John Carpenter's and Debra Hill's original vision that one would be tempted to call it a desecration if that didn't make it sound like more fun than it actually is."

...followed by this:

"Halloween Kills is one of the better sequels (put it alongside Halloween 4 and H20 and a shade below the 2018 production) and contains all the elements to make it popular among horror film lovers regardless of their ages."

And also this:

"It thinks it has an idea, but it would have been nice to been frightened."

...followed by this:

"Halloween Kills is brutal and cruel. And, I have to acknowledge, it does mostly work on its own terms."

There are so many reviews and self-appointed film critics posting things online at this point that you can literally find positive and negative reviews for any film. I guarantee next week there will be one star reviews for Dune along with four star reviews.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

Flack wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:29 am

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/fight-club-1999
Fight Club has an 81 on MRQE, and I already said I don't agree with Ebert a lot, I just think he's a great writer/critic.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Flack wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:01 amToday we don't have three people doing reviews, we have three million. Maybe three billion.
The subject of this thread is not "anyone who writes down an opinion of a movie", it's about professional critics. Which there are neither three billion nor three million.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Professional critics are a lot like weather forecasters on local news stations if you ask me. That's about as deep as I'm going with this

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Why did you think this thread was going "as you predicted"?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!