[SEINFELD] Why did Newman say "JambaLAYA!"

The Future of Radio begins now.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Why did Newman say "JambaLAYA!"

The Soup Nazi made "Jambalaya soup" (which is apparently a thing) and Newman just called it "Jambalaya".
No votes
The Jew writers don't know what Jambalaya is so they thought it was a soup.
14%
The Jew writers knew Jambalaya wasn't a soup, but thought Newman saying it sounded funny enough to not bother worrying about it.
57%
The Soup Nazi actually made Jambalaya.
No votes
I was not a fan of Seinfeld, so I don't understand the question.
29%
I liked Seinfeld but don't remember the Soup Nazi episode. (?!?!)
No votes
OTHER?!?! (Explain below!)
No votes

Total votes: 7

pinback

[SEINFELD] Why did Newman say "JambaLAYA!"

Post by pinback »

The Soup Nazi episode was on today, and this always bugged me, because Jambalaya is not a soup, so I commented about it to a friend, who agreed it was strange. Then I googled it and people have been arguing about it for 20 years.

What's your TAKE?
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Re: [SEINFELD] Why did Newman say "JambaLAYA!"

Post by AArdvark »

Never even heard of the soup nazi episode. Im out of the Seinfeld loop

pinback

Post by pinback »

That's why I put that option up there.

Other than being spectacularly funny, that episode holds a place in my heart because at my first professional job, in Rosslyn, VA, there was a sandwich place which operated almost exactly like the Soup Nazi place. There was always a line out the door because they were the best sandwiches ever, but you better have your shit together. Go in, place the order correctly, take two stilted steps to the left, etc. And if you fucked up, Ernesto(*) the sandwich maker would get froggy with you.

I never saw him refuse a customer a sandwich, like the Soup Nazi refused people soup, and maybe every town has that one place where you collect yourself outside before you get in to make sure you do it right, but I love that.

(*) That wasn't his name. His name was the name of the place, and I can't remember it, because it was 30 years ago.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

We had an Italian place like that around here, family owned. Mom ran the place, dad cooked, daughter and son (30ish?) waited and bussed tables. I remember one time the daughter came to take our order and my wife said, "Uh..." and paused for half a second and the lady said "I'll come back" and walked off. On another visit, my dad asked for a to-go container and they brought him one of those Styrofoam clamshell ones. Apparently he was doing it upside-down because when he started putting his leftovers in the container the lady grabbed it out of his hand, flipped it over, amd sighed. We went there one time and there was a sign on the door that said "closed for a couple of days because we feel like it." They closed not too long after that.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Well, no one wants to wo
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!