Warning: You cannot edit saved messages here

The Future of Radio begins now.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Tdarcos

Warning: You cannot edit saved messages here

Post by Tdarcos »

As it was before, posings in this forum can't be edited. But they can be deleted. So, if you find you've made a mistake after saving, copy the old post. delete it, (give reason "Post had error and could not edit") then starr a new message, paste the text back in, make the changes, make goddam certain there are no further errors, and then save.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Re: Warning: You cannot edit saved messages here

Post by pinback »

ICJ, once you're done dealing with all of Retro's latest requests and demands, can you modify this base so we can edit posts here?
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

The kind of errors in your posts, Paul, usually mean that the entire thing needs to be thrown away anyway. And besides, they are charming. And besides, nobody needs to post in here because the show is down for retooling.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Additional caution: do not use the quote feature to copy your message in order to fix it. Once someone clicks the quote button even if they abandon the message and never save it the quoted message is locked and cannot be deleted.

instead, copy the message before saving, and if you\ve made a mistake, immediately delete it, then open a new message, paste, correct, and for gods sake don't make any more errors, and save the (new, corrected) message.

If you made no errors, all it cost was two extra keystrokes: Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-V to copy. It's cheap insurance since post editing is still disabled in this forum.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:05 pm Additional caution: do not use the quote feature to copy your message in order to fix it. Once someone clicks the quote button even if they abandon the message and never save it the quoted message is locked and cannot be deleted.

instead, copy the message before saving, and if you\ve made a mistake, immediately delete it, then open a new message, paste, correct, and for gods sake don't make any more errors, and save the (new, corrected) message.

If you made no errors, all it cost was two extra keystrokes: Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-V to copy. It's cheap insurance since post editing is still disabled in this forum.
hmmm

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:03 pm The kind of errors in your posts, Paul, usually mean that the entire thing needs to be thrown away anyway.
That's mean. I sometimes miss a word or misspell something, and even though I do check, for some crazy reason, I sometimes miss stuff after saving.

Throw away a post for a misspelling? That's like cutting off your hand because of a hangnail.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:03 pm And besides, they are charming. And besides, nobody needs to post in here because the show is down for retooling.
Yeah, like Enron is down for restructuring. Or Penn Central is waiting for passenger rail traffic to improve. Or saddles and buggy whips will come back into fashion, and blacksmiths will become popular once this fad with the automobile ends.

Let's face it, the Don Rogers Show is dead, dead, dead. Dead as a doornail (were doornails ever alive? Need to check Wikipedia), and the only reason it was brought back was because I kept challenging Pinback err I mean Don to either 1) cut the bullshit and admit he didn't want to do the show any more; or 2) resume doing the show.

Either answer was acceptable, but Don succumbed to pride. Instead of "eating crow while it's young and tender" and simply saying he no longer wanted to do the show, he chose to "wait, and have to eat the crow when it's old and tough" by restarting the show, and that lasted what, two episodes, then the Zombie was put down for good.

I assume you were just kidding when you said the show is down for retooling, you can't be that deluded, you have no vested interest. Don, on the other hand, could have any of several reasons to refuse to admit reality: pride, disappoint-ment, sunk costs, or other falacies. His show is not coming back, and it's time to admit it.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Billy Mays wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:11 pm Image
Billy, did you draw that or did Aardvarik have you take credit? it's very good, and if it is yours, I wish to say that your work, and the humor, are irst class.

Although I think it's not correct. First, federal law prohibits the sale of horsemeat, including jackass. Second, ass might actually be tasty. As Alex Jones said, "I'd eat your ass." And he's probably not the only one.

pinback

Post by pinback »

(The Don Rogers Show is currently down for retooling.)

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Tdarcos wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:43 pm
Billy Mays wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:11 pm Image
Billy, did you draw that or did Aardvarik have you take credit? it's very good, and if it is yours, I wish to say that your work, and the humor, are irst class.

No, AArdvark drew the image and I copied it without his permission which may not have been the right thing to do at the time but it was worth it to get you to write this:

Tdarcos wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:43 pmSecond, ass might actually be tasty.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Dammit, no edits!

Which is now going to be my new signature.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 3:03 pm (The Don Rogers Show is currently down for retooling.)
Yeah, well supporters of the Confederacy have been saying "The South will rise again," since the War of Northern Aggression* ended.

I'll believe the Don Rogers Show will return when I see... I mean when I hear it. Otherwise your claims of retooling fall on deaf ears. Then again, that's mostly what your show did anyway!

* The South's name for the Civil War. Hey, I'm in Virginia, and was in Maryland, both states in the Confederacy. Some rednecks take this thing a little too seriously.

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

Tdarcos wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:01 pm * The South's name for the Civil War. Hey, I'm in Virginia, and was in Maryland, both states in the Confederacy. Some rednecks take this thing a little too seriously.
Woah! I didn't expect an ex-Old Liner like yourself to not know/remember that Maryland was a slave state that stayed in the Union. The Confederacy invaded but was repulsed. Antietam was the big battle and one of the bloodiest in the war.

Also, it would be cool if the Don Rogers Show returned in 2020.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

bryanb wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:34 pm
Tdarcos wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:01 pm * The South's name for the Civil War. Hey, I'm in Virginia, and was in Maryland, both states in the Confederacy. Some rednecks take this thing a little too seriously.
Woah! I didn't expect an ex-Old Liner like yourself to not know/remember that Maryland was a slave state that stayed in the Union. The Confederacy invaded but was repulsed. Antietam was the big battle and one of the bloodiest in the war.
i have a feeling you're right but I'll check. Yes, Delaware and Maryland were both slave states (I knew Maryland was but did not know it stayed in the Union.)

This was what people were complaining about the Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation. It only freed slaves in the ceceeding states, it did not free them in the Union states. Most people do not know that Lincoln was not against slavery. He said so in his speeches.
bryanb wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:34 pm Also, it would be cool if the Don Rogers Show returned in 2020.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Paul, can you answer my question in the other thread please?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Lincoln was against slavery. Evidence to this fact is that he FREED THE SLAVES.

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

Tdarcos wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:37 pm This was what people were complaining about the Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation. It only freed slaves in the ceceeding states, it did not free them in the Union states. Most people do not know that Lincoln was not against slavery. He said so in his speeches.
Lincoln did once write, "If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone, I would also do that" which is a pretty ugly quote. That's Lincoln the politician talking. He knew fighting a war for the sake of freeing the slaves wasn't going to be popular in all quarters so he tried to sell the war as, "Let's kill the guys who want to leave the club!" There were still draft riots in New York. I agree with Jonsey that Lincoln had to have wanted to free the slaves or he would have simply opted to appease the South and never have opposed the addition of new slave states. He also declared his opposition to slavery quite vocally at times, especially as the war progressed. For instance, he also wrote, "If slavery is not wrong, nothing is wrong."

By modern standards, Abe might still be considered a racist. He played around with the idea of freeing the slaves and then deporting them to Africa for years. "You're free...to be put on a boat and travel to a foreign land you may know nothing about. Hope the natives don't get ya!" He also doesn't seem to have been particularly sympathetic to Native Americans to say the least. He served in the Black Hawk War but saw no action, and was president during the Dakota War and the Sand Creek massacre. So there's no perfect man and no perfect president. I'm not sure we really could have had a better president during that time realistically speaking though. At least he was a lot less racist than Nathan Bedford Forrest.

This sounds like a topic that the Don Rogers Show could really cover in greater depth (punctuated with fart noises, of course).