Whaddya have planned for THANKSGIVING!?

The Future of Radio begins now.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Having friends/family over, serving a TURKEY.
18%
Having friends/family over, serving SOMETHING ELSE.
No votes
Visiting friends/family, will be served a TURKEY.
No votes
Visiting friends/family, will be served SOMETHING ELSE.
9%
Staying home, no visitors, serving a TURKEY.
9%
Staying home, no visitors, serving SOMETHING ELSE.
45%
Doing nothing special, because we don't "do" Thanksgiving.
9%
Doing nothing special, because we don't live in the U.S.
9%
Chinese takeout.
No votes
OTHER?!?! (Explain below!)
No votes

Total votes: 11

pinback

Post by pinback »

Huh? Gettin' a turkey!?!?
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Re: Whaddya have planned for THANKSGIVING!?

Post by Flack »

My wife's cooking enough food for twenty, and we're having one person over (my dad). We have a socially distanced dining setup that's been working pretty well so far. Sucks to have to use Zoom to talk to people you live with but... 2020.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Yeah kind of in the same situation but that's normal for me every year lately.

I will cook turkey and stuff. Dad, sister, and nephew will come by and eat and leave within an hour.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I guess on average my birthday falls on Thanksgiving once every seven years, but today it falls on Friday.

I guess I should be thankful I survived. There are people who have died from sepsis infections; "all" it cost me was a leg. I actually saw it on a TV show, probably during the quarantine when I had a TV set, a guy had a sepsis infection and - when the show was made - that meant a death sentence. I'll tell you though, when I realized that it turned me from an ordinary man who is wheelchair bound but otherwise able to move and function to someone who will never be able to walk or even move for the remainder of my life, there were times I wished the sepsis had done its job and killed me.

I can be thankful I still have my intelligence, my sanity (do you have to be sane to write computer software?) and ability to think, still have some vision adequate to read the computer and to continue to write and program.

I can be thankful to all the friends I have acquired over the years from this BBS, none of whom (with the exception of Pinback I have ever met, And with the exception of Jizaboz and Pinback, that I've never heard (or had a conversation). But I still consider you all friends, and I am very privileged, no, very thankful to have met all of you. Now excuse me, I'm crying so much I can't read the keyboard or the screen.

I shall return on Tuesday.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Damn. Is it dusty in here?

Flack

Post by Flack »

Tdarcos wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:40 pm I can be thankful to all the friends I have acquired over the years from this BBS, none of whom (with the exception of Pinback I have ever met, And with the exception of Jizaboz and Pinback, that I've never heard (or had a conversation).
Haven't you heard and had conversations with all of us on the Don Rogers show?

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Thanksgiving at my brother's got canceled. Staying home and having rock cornish hens instead. Might be able to go over to the kid's place later and actually be in the same room with the grandson.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

So far all we've had were window visits'

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:49 pm
Tdarcos wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:40 pm I can be thankful to all the friends I have acquired over the years from this BBS, none of whom (with the exception of Pinback I have ever met, And with the exception of Jizaboz and Pinback, that I've never heard (or had a conversation).
Haven't you heard and had conversations with all of us on the Don Rogers show?
Damn, i'd forgotten about that. No, on second thought, I mean, rather, "my memory of those events is down for retooling."
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Welp, ended up just being my nephew and dad coming over to eat with me and my GF. Everybody enjoyed it but man do my feet hurt after being in the kitchen all day heh.

Before:

After:

This year I made life a little easier by using both a cooking bag and the roasting pan rack (never used the rack for this before). After it was done I just cut the bag to release the juices into the pan and tear away the bag. Then when done eating, you just dump the leftover juice into the trash can, wash it out, throw some foil in it, then put the rack and turkey back in and cover with aluminum foil for next day.

Also thankfully this year I remembered to prep the turkey BEFORE I put it in the bag lol.

If anyone cares or is curious:

1 20 pnd Butterball turkey. Bought frozen and let thaw almost a week.

- Take turkey out of packaging. Remove packed from upper portion. Remove neck from inside.

- With turkey still in a dry sink, paint it with melted, salted butter.

- Sprinkle turkey with salt, pepper, and some "poultry seasoning" (generic brand is fine)

- Add about half a handful of flour to cooking bag and shake it around. (Important!)

- Slide turkey into bag on top of roasting pan iron rack, with cavity facing open end of bag.

- Stuff chopped onions, apples, and the leafy ends of celery sticks in the cavity.

- Tie bag. Cut a couple of slits in the top of bag.

- Put turkey in oven at 350 degrees F for 3 hours.

Done! Thermometer should read at least 170 degrees if you poke the turkey with it.

Don't cut it until it has sat 30-45 minutes to retain juices.

For gravy I just take about 2 cups of the turkey juices from the pan, toss in about 1/4 handful of flour, whisk it in, add maybe 3/4s a cup of milk. Bring to boil while whisking often then turn down heat and set aside. Add salt/pepper to taste.

For sides we made mashed potatoes, stuffing with sausage, squash casserole, green bean casserole and crescent rolls.

Forgot to buy cranberry sauce or pumpkin pie but no one ever eats those but me anyway.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Jizaboz wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:40 pm Forgot to buy cranberry sauce or pumpkin pie but no one ever eats those but me anyway.
I love jellied cranberry sauce. So did my brother and sister; we'd have it every Thanksgiving and Christmas. There was even a scene in a TV show - it might have been Seinfeld - where an old man - i think it was Jerry Siller - saying it wasn't Thanksgiving if you didn't get to hear the "slurp" - or maybe it was "plop" - of jellied cranberry sauce sliding out of the can.

While you can buy jellied cranberry sauce in the store all year long, i suspect 95% of sales are in November and December. However, it's only in October and November that you can get pumpkin pie ice cream. Which I am also fond of. Just like eggnog ice cream is usually only sold in December and January.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Tdarcos wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:47 am
Jizaboz wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:40 pm Forgot to buy cranberry sauce or pumpkin pie but no one ever eats those but me anyway.
I love jellied cranberry sauce. So did my brother and sister; we'd have it every Thanksgiving and Christmas. There was even a scene in a TV show - it might have been Seinfeld - where an old man - i think it was Jerry Siller - saying it wasn't Thanksgiving if you didn't get to hear the "slurp" - or maybe it was "plop" - of jellied cranberry sauce sliding out of the can.

While you can buy jellied cranberry sauce in the store all year long, i suspect 95% of sales are in November and December. However, it's only in October and November that you can get pumpkin pie ice cream. Which I am also fond of. Just like eggnog ice cream is usually only sold in December and January.
Haha I recall that episode! I also recall cranberry sauce being included on turkey sandwiches on flights 4-5 years ago; which seemed strange to me despite being a fan of the cranberry jelly.

Never had pumpkin ice cream but that sounds awesome. Peach ice cream is more the fad around here in the summer.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Flack

Post by Flack »

Each fall Braum's offers Premium Pumpkin. Some of the local stores do serve it with a plop of whipped cream on top.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Pumpkin Pie ice cream is delicious. It actually tastes a lot better than pumpkin pie itself, which I'm not particularly fond of. Prefer apple pie myself. Dammit, now I want some. Pumpkin Pie ice cream, not apple pie.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:23 am Pumpkin Pie ice cream is delicious. It actually tastes a lot better than pumpkin pie itself, which I'm not particularly fond of. Prefer apple pie myself. Dammit, now I want some. Pumpkin Pie ice cream, not apple pie.
Your sig does not look on my screen like you probably intended it.