I do not use toothpaste.
No votes
I do not brush my teeth.
22%

Total votes: 9

pinback

[Settle a Bet] Wetting your toothbrush.

Post by pinback »

I think the way my wife does it is weird. She thinks the way I do it is weird. LET'S SMEAR THE QUEER.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Tdarcos

Re: [Settle a Bet] Wetting your toothbrush.

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:17 am I think the way my wife does it is weird.
You have not defined what you mean by 'weird' in this sentence nor described what she is doing in order to provide the means and method for someone else to determine, and then agree or dissent to your judgement that her practice is, 'weird.'
pinback wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:17 am She thinks the way I do it is weird.
Now, you are providing a third-hand declaration of an unspecified activity having a nebulous definition.

In short, to quote Jonsey, Let's get Savvyraven on the show and have her describe what you are doing so that she may receive validation of her evaluation of your activity as actually being weird, or a refutation of the claim, by perhaps showing that while it may (or may not) be unusual, it is not necessarily wrong or outside the spectrum of reasonable behavior.

In the end, the first criteria is, or should be, does the activity result in the removal and disposal of plaque from your teeth? Second, is the means used to perform the activity comport with reasonable expectations relative to obtaining cleaner teeth?

If you, an ordinary man, started using your feet to operate an electric toothbrush and brushed your teeth holding it by your feet, that would probably qualify as weird. But it would probably not be weird if done by a person with a birth defect giving them flippers for arms. Or maybe it would.

Like beauty, 'weird' is in the eye of the beholder
pinback wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:17 amLET'S SMEAR THE QUEER.
Why do you feel it necessary to defame a gay person? </pedantic> And what does this have to do with tooth brushing?
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Which option did you vote for, Paul?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Which of you two are doing it which way? I MUST know. I think not getting the brush wet first is psychopathic.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:48 pm I think not getting the brush wet first is psychopathic.
OK man, it was me. Yet another sign that I am most likely psychopathic! Lol

One day I felt like I was wasting time doing it, so I never did it again.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Q: Is wetting the toothbrush similar to wetting the bed?

THE
NEITHER
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:48 pm Which of you two are doing it which way? I MUST know. I think not getting the brush wet first is psychopathic.
Kathy wets first, then applies toothpaste. I apply toothpaste, and then run water over the whole thing.

I'm the problem here!

odyssia76

Post by odyssia76 »

Wetting the brush first is the no-brainer answer. After all, what is the goal of putting water on anyways? Many people like me do not use any water at all. I guess if you put water on it the only possible reason would be to rinse off dust or whatever. So if that is your goal then put the water on first. Putting water on after toothpaste makes no sense. Hint: toothpaste is already wet when it comes out of the tube. It does not need further moistening.

For people who use water at all: why? What is your goal? For people who put it on after toothpaste: what makes you think the toothpaste needs water on it?
128 char limit on sigs? Srsly? SO lame.

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

odyssia76 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:37 pm Wetting the brush first is the no-brainer answer. After all, what is the goal of putting water on anyways? Many people like me do not use any water at all. I guess if you put water on it the only possible reason would be to rinse off dust or whatever. So if that is your goal then put the water on first. Putting water on after toothpaste makes no sense. Hint: toothpaste is already wet when it comes out of the tube. It does not need further moistening.

For people who use water at all: why? What is your goal? For people who put it on after toothpaste: what makes you think the toothpaste needs water on it?
I use water before brushing because I thought I was washing residual germs away from the toothbrush. You make a good point about the dust too. Are you saying this is pointless? I mean, I run water over the toothbrush after I'm done brushing too, but my unpatented double wash system gives me more confidence in the process.

We need a poll on disinfecting toothbrushes with hydrogen peroxide too. Just when exactly in the process are you supposed to do that? Swishing it around in your mouth while brushing is super awkward.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I put water on my toothbrush because when it's dry the bristles feels like a brick wrapped in sandpaper, and after running it under the faucet for a few seconds they loosen up.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Paste goes on the brush

Brush goes in the mouth

Paste goes in the mouth

Teeth are in the mouth

Our teeth

odyssia76

Post by odyssia76 »

Well this is a very silly topic but I enjoy discussing dumb shit so why not? :-) My thoughts:

1) I never thought of the bristles being hard but I guess that could be a reason. I do not think plastic bristles absorb water so it is likely futile. I just rub my thumb over them once or twice to get them flexible again and that works fine. But this is semi-reasonable I guess.

2) As for washing away residual germs or dust yeah maybe I guess but it does not really make much sense. I mean when you think about it logically either there are harmful pathogens floating around in your house or there are not. If there are not, them no point in washing the brush. If there are, then to be safe you would need to wash everything in your house before you touched it not just your toothbrush. In fact if it is something airborne that could get on a toothbrush them you would be in constant contact with it all day every day breathing it in etc. I do not think there are nay harmful dust or germs in my hours that limit themselves to ONLY being on my toothbrush. I guess the short version is "What disease do you think you could or would get from your toothbrush that you would not get otherwise?" Either ebola or tuberculosis or whatever is in your house or it is not. And even then water does nothing to disinfect germs or viruses. SO it seems pretty pointless to me.

3) Washing off your brush after brushing makes sense because you don't want crusty old used toothpaste on it, ewww.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Many of the Japanese do not believe in shitting/pissing in the same room you brush your teeth at all.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Jizaboz wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:55 pm Many of the Japanese do not believe in shitting/pissing in the same room you brush your teeth at all.
Native Japanese tend to be extreme germophobes, which causes them a disservice since they discourage their kids from playing in the dirt. When kids do this they do pick up germs and minor infections (like colds). The exposure to microbes in the dirt allows kids to train their immune systems, hardening them against the environment. When this doesn't happen, as adults they have less resistance to biological organisms and are more likely to get sick from things that the kid with more exposure to the environment might not even notice.

While we do want to keep things clean, but if kids aren't exposed to the dirty environment outside when they have developing immune systems, they are very likely going to get sicker when their unprepared immune system is confronted by disease.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Flack

Post by Flack »

"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Totally agree with you and tdarcos. I think I have a great immune system as an adult because of growing up in the mountains and then later spending years working in hospitals. Germs are good til you get elderly!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

odyssia76

Post by odyssia76 »

Jizaboz wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:34 pm Totally agree with you and tdarcos. I think I have a great immune system as an adult because of growing up in the mountains and then later spending years working in hospitals. Germs are good til you get elderly!
Yes it is especially good for us hardy folks who grew up around farms!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!