[POLL] Do you tip for take-out?

The Future of Radio begins now.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Do you tip for take-out?

No.
No votes
Yes, but less than I would at a sit-down restaurant.
33%
Yes, the same as I would at a sit-down restaurant.
No votes
Yes, but only at places I like.
11%
Sometimes, but less than I would at a sit-down restaurant.
22%
Sometimes, the same as I would at a sit-down restaurant.
No votes
Yes, but only if it was a large order.
No votes
Yes, but only if it was a small order.
No votes
No, I never tip anyone.
22%
No, I never get take-out.
No votes
OTHER?!??! (How could there be an other, I covered everything. EXPLAIN BELOW!!!)
11%

Total votes: 9

pinback

[POLL] Do you tip for take-out?

Post by pinback »

You know, Chinese, Indian, Thai, a pizza joint that doesn't deliver. Those backup plans when nobody wants to cook. You drive there, you pick it up from the counter. DO YOU TIP?

DO YOU?!?!!
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Re: [POLL] Do you tip for take-out?

Post by AArdvark »

If I don't have cash and I don't have to sign the receipt they don't get tipped.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Who's the Mr. Pink?

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I never listened to Reservoir Dogs. What's the reference?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

So I was doing this before the pandemic. A buck.on a take out order.

Then the pandemic happened and I was tipping 20 percent or more.

Now... Now I'm going to places with those screens that rotate. And for the first time the minimum tip was 20%. I could tip nothing or a minimum of 20 percent. Out of habit I hit 20 percent.

But! That's over now. This place ruined it, it's over, I'm now back to even less than I was before. It's zero from now on. Zero!!!
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

AArdvark wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:46 pm I never listened to Reservoir Dogs. What's the reference?
Turn the sound on, you lunatic.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

NO WAY! Last time I did that Steeler's Wheel cut off a cops ear.

THE
GROSS BUCKETS
AARDVARK

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Haha so I am the asshole here? I'm the guy that stiffed the non-waiter. Some of you actually tip for take-out? Hell, at least one of my local Mexican places charge a fee to cover their styrofoam or whatever.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pinback

Post by pinback »

You should have picked "No" unless you really don't tip anyone for anything ever.

I work hard on these poll answers and nobody does it right!

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Whups
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I work hard on these poll answers and nobody does it right!
Heeeee!

Ice Cream Jonsey

I am noticing that I get asked if I want receipts in NY and if I say no there is no place to leave a tip. So out here this problem is solving itself.

Flack

Post by Flack »

"Sometimes, but less than I would at a sit-down restaurant."

Look, I have a problem leaving a good tip before I get served. I don't want to order carry out and tip 20% up front only to receive cold and/or the wrong food. But like ICJ says, if you pay via credit card up front, the only tipping solution is to slip the person some cash, which I don't carry a lot of. My other justification is, if I'm inside a restaurant for an hour, my waiter is going to take my drink order, bring me drinks, take my food order, bring my my food, check on me, get me a refill, and handle the bill. If I get carry out, some dude is going walk out to my car and shove a bag through my window. Those two efforts do not deserve the same amount of tip in my opinion.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Nope. Never.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/abolish- ... _n_5991796

Also, it's just not a thing in Greece :P In fact, if you tip at a restaurant, people will look at you weirdly with a "who the fuck do you think you are" face. Exceptionally rich people are expected to tip. If you don't belong to that group, you're just making an ass of yourself. Kinda like gluing a Mercedes Benz star on your Honda Civic.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Oh, and tourists. They're expected to tip as well.

Ice Cream Jonsey

RealNC wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:11 am Oh, and tourists. They're expected to tip as well.
I bought drinks my first night in Scotland and left a coin tip on the bar, a pound or something. I was sitting rather far away. Someone behind the bar threw the coin in the direction of our table. So, ya know, since that is all about etiquette, that's sane.

But then we'd be at a restaurant and there would be a line on some receipts for tips. So I was like, get your story straight, UK. It's more barbaric to chuck coins then think "this obvious American is genuinely appreciative."

I've heard that instead of a tip you can, in the UK, order your round and say "one for yourself" to the bartender, which seems ideal. Dunno if that's a real world thing.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Haha I love hearing stories like that from other countries. Japan is the same way. Leaving a tip means one of 2 things:

1. For some reason you dropped money on the table and forgot. They will chase you down to give it back to you.. though in a much more friendly fashion than throwing it back in your general direction which honestly would probably make me feel more shameful haha

2. You actually did mean to tip. This is an insult. You have now made judgement based on his/her appearance or capabilities that they are lower in a way. Merchants in general there think it is really weird if you ask a question like “how are you?” rather than “how is the situation?” or “how’s things going today?”.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Which is incredible. I come from a culture where we pay servers 2 dollars an hour to start and they are completely in favor of keeping that system. We aren't intending to insult anyone, especially since there are horror stories of the reverse (tourists coming to the US and not tipping at all) everywhere.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:34 pm Which is incredible. I come from a culture where we pay servers 2 dollars an hour to start and they are completely in favor of keeping that system. We aren't intending to insult anyone, especially since there are horror stories of the reverse (tourists coming to the US and not tipping at all) everywhere.
Exactly. I think the way we do it is outdated but at the same time a lot of people in the US are stupid, lazy, or both. Refilling a drink isn’t hard. Bringing me my bill when I’m done and just want to pay and leave really shouldn’t be hard. Yet, many waiters fail at this so I end up leaving around 3-4$ for a 20$ bill if they fail to do these simple things.. otherwise I leave nice tips when dining out. If the service is really bad then maybe you get an extra 2$.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I voted "Other" because when I was ordering take out, it was "I tip but I never tip if I eat in." Since I don't tip at all, that, in my opinion, is not the same as either "tip less" or "tip more." Tip less implies you do tip. "No tip" is not the same as "tip less."

Consider steel. "Stain proof" is not the same as "stainless," as stainless steel is less likely to stain, not "without stain."

"Less lethal" device is not the same as "non lethal" device.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.