Don Geronimo news

The Future of Radio begins now.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

pinback

Don Geronimo news

Post by pinback »

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2123 ... washington

The name "Don Rogers" comes from a combination two of my radio heroes, Don Geronimo and Neil Rogers. The above is some Don Geronimo news.

There isn't any Neil Rogers news because he's been dead for 11 years.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Re: Don Geronimo news

Post by AArdvark »

Can Don be as risque as he once was? In this cancel culture I fear he will have to really reign in his cutting edge

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:29 am There isn't any Neil Rogers news because he's been dead for 11 years.
Oh come on! He isn't dead, he's just "down for retooling."

"Bruce Lee isn't dead, they've just got him frozen, and they'll thaw him out and revive him when the economy gets better."
- Gary Busey, D. C. Cab
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

AArdvark wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:15 pm Can Don be as risque as he once was? In this cancel culture I fear he will have to really reign in his cutting edge
I dunno. Part of the show is playing songs, so I'm not expecting anything like the good ol' days, just happy to see he got a job in radio.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I can't listen to Mike O'Meara anymore because of the radio style format and Mike is just a grumpy old man.

The fifteen minutes of show and take a break format is waaay too yesterday in this podcast world

pinback

Post by pinback »

I didn't know Mike still had a show. When D&M were at their best (WJFK), Mike was never the point, it was always Don's show, he was the ringleader, and he was spectacular at it. Mike was just there to do voices and fill the empty space.

I did think it was funny that the three main players on the show, Don, Mike, and Buzz were all named Mike in real life. Three Mikes And A Mic would have been a lame name for the show, but when are you ever going to get that chance again?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:50 am I did think it was funny that the three main players on the show, Don, Mike, and Buzz were all named Mike in real life. Three Mikes And A Mic would have been a lame name for the show, but when are you ever going to get that chance again?
But they could have created a recording group, say, "Mike and the Mikechanics."
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

This morning was/is the first show. I've been listening to it on and off for the first couple hours. It's rife with technical errors, Don sounds a little uneasy, and it's like he's gone back in time, talking up records, giving prizes to the 15th caller, doing the kind of show he used to make fun of other people for doing. Like hiring Picasso to paint highway billboards.

But, it's nice to hear his unmistakable voice again after so many years. There's still something special there. He'll figure it out. (He is currently unable to hang up the phone on a caller.)

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

pinback wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:33 am This morning was/is the first show. I've been listening to it on and off for the first couple hours. It's rife with technical errors, Don sounds a little uneasy, and it's like he's gone back in time, talking up records, giving prizes to the 15th caller, doing the kind of show he used to make fun of other people for doing. Like hiring Picasso to paint highway billboards.

But, it's nice to hear his unmistakable voice again after so many years. There's still something special there. He'll figure it out. (He is currently unable to hang up the phone on a caller.)
Was he a big "hang up the phone on the caller" guy? I gather that Neil Rogers loved doing that. I didn't know that about Don G!
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

Yes. Now, instead of a roomful of idiots, it's just him, and he's half playing songs and half talking, but it's very watered down, since you can't do anything on radio anymore.

Definitely a faint echo of past greatness, but whaddya gonna do, Neil's dead, so it's a nice, brief break from listening to 20-years old tapes.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Is he funny anymore? I know he used to be at his best riffing on the callers. There's not much to make fun of when they can shut you down for the most minor offensive comment

pinback

Post by pinback »

AArdvark wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:14 pm Is he funny anymore? I know he used to be at his best riffing on the callers. There's not much to make fun of when they can shut you down for the most minor offensive comment
Why not try it out and see? It's certainly gotta be better than any other local live show in the DC area. A far cry from the glory days of WJFK, but give it a shot and tell me what you think! Why do I have to guess whether you'll think it's funny or not?! MEET ME IN THE MIDDLE HERE GOD DAMMIT.

pinback

Post by pinback »

The biggest problem with the show right now, which is amazing and just shows how technology has come so far that none of the basic things that were perfected decades ago work anymore, is that when he takes calls, there is obviously a two-second gap between when he says something and the caller hears it. Which then leads to everyone talking over each other, because they're waiting for the other person to speak, and they don't seem to say anything, but then they come in when you start again, because...

"Hey caller, what's your name?" ... paaaause.. ."Cra-" - "Caller?" - "Yeah, th.... hello? This is Cra-" - "Yes, go ahead..." - "Hi, this is Craig."

They can't do phone calls right anymore. Everything is terrible.

odyssia76

Post by odyssia76 »

AArdvark wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:15 pm Can Don be as risque as he once was? In this cancel culture I fear he will have to really reign in his cutting edge
I don't get the whole "cancel culture" thing. What's the big deal? People have the right to listen to who they want to listen to, and if someone says something they don't like they can stop listening. Similarly, corporations have the same rights. It's always been that way. This is nothing new. It's just the right wing media trying to create yet some new imaginary demon to use to spread fear and hate. I seem to recall the kwazy konservatives doing a whole lot of denouncing and boycotting themselves.
128 char limit on sigs? Srsly? SO lame.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Before I listen to the show, tell me, is it a commercial oriented format? fifteen minute segments and then six minutes of commercials?

I wont listen to that format anymore, it's dead. The hosts have to talk the whole show (except for music) and maybe drop some sponsor names but no sponsor commercial breaks. Ever. That time has past.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Name a single 3+ hour terrestrial talk show that does that.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

There's a Numbers Station out of Kiev that has the format Vark prefers.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

My point exactly, how will radio stations get more listeners if they don't evolve with the streaming mentality? They could put the funniest people in the world in front of a microphone but if there's five minutes of commercials four times an hour then I'm out. There's choices now, no more of the Only Game in Town syndrome.
Don and Mike were great. They were even better when I found a pirate feed that cut out all the commercial breaks. Now I won't even suffer that for my entertainment

pinback

Post by pinback »

So what was the point of this conversation, if you knew ahead of time you weren't going to listen to it, because your precious ears cannot be troubled to hear a commercial at this point in your life?

Jesus Christ. Turn the sound down, I figured you'd have had that part licked.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I asked if he was still funny. Maybe the format has changed since I last listened, apparently not. I can always find room for a new podcast if the format fits my worldview. I make the choice to what goes in my ears, not some program director. I'm the god of my ears and brain Im the god!

Doesn't anyone else care about the content they are being forced to consume? Random blathering flowing into everyone's brain four times an hour is atrocious.