Tech setup.

The Future of Radio begins now.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

pinback

Tech setup.

Post by pinback »

If you would like to add to the technology discussion from the 8/26 episode, here is how I currently have this all set up:

Sound effects, music, and guest voices come OUT of the COMPUTER through the HEADPHONE jack, and into the MIXER.

My MICROPHONE goes directly into the MIXER.

The MIXER then MIXES those two inputs, and sends it two places:

1. My headphones, and...
2. The COMPUTER, through the MICROPHONE jack.

So the entire mixed product goes into the computer and gets picked up by:

1. Audacity for recording.
2. Wavestreaming for live listeners.
3. Skype so callers can hear what's going on.

GOT IT?
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

This guy is doing what you want to do, but on a Mac.

http://soapbox.chrismarquardt.com/yes-i ... e-computer

He's using an app called Soundflower to split all the audio streams (incoming and outgoing) into different virtual channels, so that he can control which go back out to the Mumble server and which go to the recording.

There's a Windows equivalent of Soundflower called Jack that does the same thing.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5231694
http://jackaudio.org/applications/

The website has instructions on getting it to work with Audacity. I spent a couple of hours earlier and was able to get different tracks going to different places (headphones, Audacity tracks, etc).

Here's another one that looks prettier although I haven't tried it. It's limited to three input/output buses, but that should be enough.

http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Vo ... /index.htm
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

Yes. set the mic volume relative to everything and use a software mixer on the computer to "mix" by controlling the volume of everything else relative to your mic.

Alternately, get a fancy sound card and take each feed out as a separate channel into your mixer so you can turn DEM KNOBS. Make sure to provision 2 channels each for stereo effects.

Flack

Post by Flack »

The problem is that he has 4 people connected to Mumble: himself, and people 2, 3, and 4.

People 2-4 connect and can talk and hear everybody. No problem.

Pinback (1) is not only sending his voice, but playing sound effects live and sending them as well to Mumble on the same bus. (Computer Mix in Windows, I think.)

The end result is that 1 is sending every sound being processed (that's what the Computer Mix is) back to the Mumble server, so not only is he sending his voice and his sound effects, but also voices 2-4 back again a second time.

That Jack program will let you split all those audio channels into a virtual/software mixing board so that you can tell it to only send 1 (including the sound effects) to the Mumble Server and send everything to the headphone output (including 2-4).

I got it working, by the way.

pinback

Post by pinback »

The Happiness Engine wrote:Yes. set the mic volume relative to everything and use a software mixer on the computer to "mix" by controlling the volume of everything else relative to your mic.
Did you listen to the show?

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

We had a similar issue when my buddy and I set up the recording space in his basement. The problem was having the signal coming out of the PC, into the mixer and back into the PC for recording. We solved it by setting up a second PC for recording only.

THE
DUELING
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback »

AArdvark wrote:We had a similar issue when my buddy and I set up the recording space in his basement. The problem was having the signal coming out of the PC, into the mixer and back into the PC for recording. We solved it by setting up a second PC for recording only.
Recording isn't a problem.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I already solved the problem, scroll up.