Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - A review

Television & Motorcycles

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - A review

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Okay okay okay....................... we're gonna all be friends here.....

Liked S01E01 enough.

Episode two was one focused on Uhura, probably the first episode of Trek that has ever been focused on her? Like, why waste time, I agree they should do this.

I've got episode three on now and goddamn is the Peck dude sounding so much like Nimoy's Spock, it's uncanny.

I think they are making Pike the world's most likable captain in this show. So far he has a sense of humor, he is compassionate, he is a good negotiator, he's got a place in Montana or something to be Mr Tough Guy out there. But really, this is a fine choice, because we all know what happens to him -- it's not THAT tragic when you first watch the episodes about him in the Original Series because we have no idea who he is. He's just a dude that was there before Kirk. In humanizing him, they are going to make us all feel something new in a 50-year old episode of television. We'll get to know him and feel bad about what happens to him.

Which is kind of cool.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Well well well, episode S01E04 is the best Trek I have seen in a long time. Man, did they knock that out of the park.

Onto episode 5! MOM IM BINGING!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Episode 5: also great, for me. Shenanigans, silliness, and lots of Nurse Chapel, not going to have any sort of problem with an episode that contains all of that. A good one after the balls-to-the-wall intensity of episode 4, I can see if someone is waiting a week for each of these how it might have been an undesired and overly dramatic tone shift.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Casual Observer wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:23 pm
Casual Observer wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:42 pm Here's an olive branch to Pinback: s01e05 sucks balls. The only good thing was the opening dream that referred to two separate TOS, the one where Spock "kills" Kirk with the gangstars of triskelion music. Jesus, Spock and his chic do goddam Vice Versa? This one's bad.
Episode 06 was pretty good but 07 was great. Anson Mount is having the time of his life in this role and whoever plays Spock is kicking ass.
Yes!

Episode 7 was the best Trek I have seen since 4, which was the best Trek I've seen in forever.

I hear you about episode 8 - I did have to skip ahead to find out what happens to M'Benga's daughter. I have no problem with everyone hamming it up a bit and playing characters in a little girl's story. That's fine. I have just seen enough TV in general to know the beats. This is fine.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Welp. Watched all 10 episodes. Best season of Trek since I can remember. Everyone in the cast is great, there was plenty of tension for a show where nothing permanently crippling can happen to five of the main characters and although it's another goddamn show that takes place before multiple seasons of television that chronologically comes later, they did an amazing job with it.

A SPOILER DUDE shows up in episode 10 and I thought the interpretation on the part of the actor was fine. I've read a few Star Trek books and novels and really, because the books written in the 70s and 80s that kept Trek going don't really engage with, ah, vocal patterns, the SPOILER DUDE really did seem like the book version of spoiler dude.

I think there is something about television and movies when it comes to eye color, I guess as a culture we decided it doesn't matter. Peter Parker had hazel eyes, Clark Kent had blue eyes, Spoiler Person in this started in TV and the actor had hazel. You'd think they'd be consistent there but what I am guessing and have no proof of is that nobody bothers when it comes to multiple people playing the same character, nobody cares and It's Just One of Those Things.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Pinback wrote:A rare miss by Jonsey

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:23 am Welp. Watched all 10 episodes. Best season of Trek since I can remember. Everyone in the cast is great, there was plenty of tension for a show where nothing permanently crippling can happen to five of the main characters and although it's another goddamn show that takes place before multiple seasons of television that chronologically comes later, they did an amazing job with it.

A SPOILER DUDE shows up in episode 10 and I thought the interpretation on the part of the actor was fine. I've read a few Star Trek books and novels and really, because the books written in the 70s and 80s that kept Trek going don't really engage with, ah, vocal patterns, the SPOILER DUDE really did seem like the book version of spoiler dude.

I think there is something about television and movies when it comes to eye color, I guess as a culture we decided it doesn't matter. Peter Parker had hazel eyes, Clark Kent had blue eyes, Spoiler Person in this started in TV and the actor had hazel. You'd think they'd be consistent there but what I am guessing and have no proof of is that nobody bothers when it comes to multiple people playing the same character, nobody cares and It's Just One of Those Things.
Agreed. We think the vampire diaries guy was great and it got my wife to agree to watch Balance of Terror with me. Love how Pike's character is expanded from tragic to flawed, ending the season with yet another failure, though learns in time to change at least one mistake. Maybe this lesson helps him change how he captains in s02.

Ice Cream Jonsey

You are all (except for CO) INSANE, I have now watched the first four episodes of season two of STRANGE NEW WORLDS and it's all great.

Picard season 3 was good, but everyone kept waiting for them to screw it up like they did seasons 1 and 2.

This is just good fun, they really did look at Trek the original series and said "how can we make shows like this?" and they are doing it.

If Pinback and savvyraven don't like season two, I don't know what to tell ya maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I’ve been tempted to check it out if anything due to one of the actresses in it.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Casual Observer

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:31 pm Picard season 3 was good, but everyone kept waiting for them to screw it up like they did seasons 1 and 2.
What didn't you like about Picard Season 2? Or did I miss that in another post.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Starting with episode 7, I think. We go into Picard's MINE and find some mother issues that were never brought up in 7 seasons of TNG plus movies. His character is, what, 90? A stupid aside, 90 year old men should have their shit figured out with their mothers. He is the wrong characters for writers to engage in such nonsense with. It was also done poorly. The ICE shit with Rios was dumb, dumb, dumb. I am clearly on one side of our country's stupid political divide and I am willing to believe that ICE is as worthless as the TSA is, but they are just depicted as cartoon moustache-twirling villains for ... what? For what purpose? Because someone got a butt up their ass about the hot topic of the day, immigration (which isn't a hot topic, it's a made-up one to cater towards racist thoughts when Trump was President). It was also done poorly.

I guess Rios chooses to live in the past and just dies there? Come the fuck on. I want a quieter, simpler life as well but I am not going back to the 1860s to get it.

There are other things I didn't like about it, but you have a bunch of characters I really don't care that much about not doing anything remotely Star Trek with it. It maybe would have been bearable if 22 other episodes were in a season, but TV is different now, the way they it is made and presented is different. If you wiped my memory clean of everything we knew about Jean-Luc Picard, a character I liked same as everyone else, and asked me to watch Picard Season 2, it's just not as good as the dumbest sci fi I've say through, which is Lexx or something, I guess.

Casual Observer

Fair enough, that part was awful. I guess I enjoyed the playing around in the past, things like the car chase etc. I'll say that the singing scene was the worst. I did think they did a good job of closing the loop on the story, bringing it back the first moment explaining everything, showing that what we thought was going on was the opposite. Jeri Ryan is hot so that helped.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I did enjoy her as an actor, character, person and Trek participant. Yeah, she's great. Have you seen season 3 yet? I did like the part where she just referred to Data as "that robot."

Casual Observer

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:13 pm I did enjoy her as an actor, character, person and Trek participant. Yeah, she's great. Have you seen season 3 yet? I did like the part where she just referred to Data as "that robot."
Season 3 of Picard wasn't my favorite. It felt "lifetimes" ( that's the tendency of movies made by the Lifetime Network to spend the whole time building it up then resolves everything in ten minutes, or in this case the last episode). Good episodes throughout but the end kinda sucked. And I didn't need the warm farewell banter at the end

Casual Observer

Ok, Strange New Worlds has jumped the shark at S02e07. It's unacceptable to mix their cartoon show (Lower Decks) with live action. Time travel is fine but breaking the third wall on SNW just because nobody wants to watch that Lower Decks garbage won't do.

Hey Jonsey, what's your take on S02?

Ice Cream Jonsey

I am loving season two, probably even more than season 1, which I loved.

Now. Now! I will admit that a couple parts are a little too precious. The lawyer in episode 2 or whatever, the one where Number One is on trial. She was very unlikeable and then did some trope-ass crap to SAVE THE DAY blah blah whatever. But all of the other episodes I have really liked a lot.

As you noted, in episode 7 they started out by showing us the animated stylings of the Lower Deck show. I tried to watch the first episode of it, but I could not get into it. It's a little much. So I was prepared to just not watch this crossover episode of Strange New Worlds, but they reference a time portal that I thought was the one from City on the Edge of Forever, but I guess maybe it is not. Once the purple haired kid comes flying through it switches to live acting and hey! It's Hughie from The Boys! We like that guy.

The rest of the episode was good, perfectly fine Star Trek as far as I am concerned. The black gal jumping over as well helped give an extra kick to the episode, and I laughed out loud when they realize that Pike realizes what is gonna happen to him, and she pantomimes that weird pyramid thing he ends up in. That's just good comedy, I don't care who ya are or where you are from.

It got goofy again but light hearted Trek was in the original series so I am ok with it here. I'd be ok with it regardless! I don't think I am going to start watching Lower Decks because it is a bit loud (which the characters themselves point out, which I didn't love them doing, but whatever). But I would watch their stuff if they just put in real actors and didn't make it a cartoon.

Other episodes! Of this season!

I loved the one with alternate Kirk and Noonien-Singh. Liked the one where the planet started stripping memories from people.

Casual Observer

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:34 pmI loved the one with alternate Kirk and Noonien-Singh. Liked the one where the planet started stripping memories from people.
That was a great episode.

Casual Observer

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:34 pm I am loving season two, probably even more than season 1, which I loved.

Now. Now! I will admit that a couple parts are a little too precious. The lawyer in episode 2 or whatever, the one where Number One is on trial. She was very unlikeable and then did some trope-ass crap to SAVE THE DAY blah blah whatever. But all of the other episodes I have really liked a lot.

As you noted, in episode 7 they started out by showing us the animated stylings of the Lower Deck show. I tried to watch the first episode of it, but I could not get into it. It's a little much. So I was prepared to just not watch this crossover episode of Strange New Worlds, but they reference a time portal that I thought was the one from City on the Edge of Forever, but I guess maybe it is not. Once the purple haired kid comes flying through it switches to live acting and hey! It's Hughie from The Boys! We like that guy.

The rest of the episode was good, perfectly fine Star Trek as far as I am concerned. The black gal jumping over as well helped give an extra kick to the episode, and I laughed out loud when they realize that Pike realizes what is gonna happen to him, and she pantomimes that weird pyramid thing he ends up in. That's just good comedy, I don't care who ya are or where you are from.

It got goofy again but light hearted Trek was in the original series so I am ok with it here. I'd be ok with it regardless! I don't think I am going to start watching Lower Decks because it is a bit loud (which the characters themselves point out, which I didn't love them doing, but whatever). But I would watch their stuff if they just put in real actors and didn't make it a cartoon.

Other episodes! Of this season!

I loved the one with alternate Kirk and Noonien-Singh. Liked the one where the planet started stripping memories from people.
Ok, fine, they made it sorta ok by having the SNW characters as cartoons at the end and there little scheme did work because the two characters are fun enough that I'll give Lower Decks one more chance. Aside from my distaste for them mixing the two it was an enjoyable episode.

Casual Observer

The "Spock turned Human" episode is one of the best trek episodes.

Casual Observer

Casual Observer wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:55 pmI'll give Lower Decks one more chance.