The Peripheral on Prime is Great!

Television & Motorcycles

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

The Peripheral on Prime is Great!

Post by Casual Observer »

Fuck it you guys don't care.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: The Peripheral on Prime is Great!

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

What is it about?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Ok I'll do it but if Pinhead shits on it all I'll ever do is post bobs burgers anus pics to his posts.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Casual Observer wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:30 pm Fuck it you guys don't care.
According to the blurb on Amazon Prime Video,
The Peripheral centers on Flynne Fisher, a woman trying to hold together the pieces of her broken family in a forgotten corner of tomorrow's America. Flynne is smart, ambitious, and doomed. She has no future. Until the future comes calling for her. The Peripheral is master storyteller William Gibson’s dazzling, hallucinatory glimpse into the fate of mankind — and what lies beyond.

The Peripheral is an Amazon exclusive.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I started reading the book but gave it up because it just wasn't Neuromancer or The Bridge trilogy. It's a tough act to follow

pinback

Post by pinback »

Casual Observer wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:50 am Ok I'll do it but if Pinhead shits on it all I'll ever do is post bobs burgers anus pics to his posts.
In 2023, I think it is time for you to start being nicer to me.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:49 am
Casual Observer wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:50 am Ok I'll do it but if Pinhead shits on it all I'll ever do is post bobs burgers anus pics to his posts.
Respect is a two-way street, Benjamin. Stop being an asshole and people will stop treating you like one. Until you do, remember that assholes get shit on.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Casual Observer

pinback wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:49 am

Ice Cream Jonsey

Come now, CO, he was offering an olive branch. You elephant anused him in return.

Casual Observer

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:08 pm Come now, CO, he was offering an olive branch. You elephant anused him in return.
No, the opposite. Pls to be re-reading:
pinback wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:49 am In 2023, I think it is time for you to start being nicer to me.

pinback

Post by pinback »

That's true. You've all got over a month to get your shots in.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

So elephant butt pix are like some kind of weird advent calendar?

Great....

Casual Observer

AArdvark wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:50 pm So elephant butt pix are like some kind of weird advent calendar?

Great....
No. I just trained an AI bot to relentlessly post bobs burgers anus paintings to anything Pinback posts. That's all.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Is this what the show is about?

Casual Observer

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:10 pm Is this what the show is about?
No, it's about quantum tunneling time travel.

Actually I think it's a show lots of different people would like. It's sci-fi but not hit you over the head with it Scifi. TDarcos' copy/paste from a website doesn't really tell you anything all about the show.

Flynn and her brother Burton are West Virginia white trash, she lives in the house with their sick mom and he lives in a cute Airstream trailer. He's ex Marine, part of a special squad of soldiers enhanced with "haptic implants" that basically make them think and feel together, act like a "single organism". Burton makes his living by upleveling rich people in VR games, though his sister Flynn is actually way better than him so plays for him some. She works in a 3d printing fab set in a storefront in some shitty WV town nearby.

First episode Burton receives a mind connecting headset and when Flynn uses it she's suddenly in the most realistic sim she's ever seen, complete with a voice in her head that tells her what to do.

I don't do spoilers so that's the last details about plot I'll give.

There's lots and lots of every kind of action you would expect in modern scifi action, gun battles, sniper fire, hand to hand fights, cool futuristic gun, cloaking Audi SUV's hitting people and stuff, etc. Theres enough humanity and not constantly snarky dialoge that even my wife will watch it with me.

The fun part for me is the Time Travel aspect. This show has a unique idea about time travel that I'm not sure I've seen anywhere else. Their idea is there's a "main" timeline where about 10 years after Flynn's current time there has been a catastrophic event, "the Jackpot". The few people who survived are mostly living in a Westworld or Upload kind of digital eternity and mainly interact with the real world using human realistic robot bodies, which they call Periphals. When Flynn puts on the helmet and shows up in future London riding a motorcycle, what she thinks is her brothers avatar is actually his Peripheral and she's operating it through time.

The time travel comes into play because these people, about 70 years in Flynns future (though not her future, more on that later) have developed a technology that allows them to send information back in time, they call it "quantum tunneling". What's different about this time travel scheme to me is what they call "Stubs".

You know the Back to the Future 2 timeline discussion with Doc Brown's blackboard? Where he had one timeline and then a new one split off when Biff gave himself the book. They could go back in time before the split and change it from ever happening and they get to stay in the main line. This is kinda like that.

The future people have been reaching back before the catastrophy and playing with the lives of people they know died. Make them fight, see if this makes a difference, study that. Think the cruelty that the Nazi doctors did, except done by remote controlling people in the past. They're doing this under the banner of "research" for reasons that haven't been revealed to me. Each time they reach out and change something, they create a "stub" or alternate timeline. They have the ability to collect information across all timelines.

The central issue driving the drama is a mysterous character, Alita, who has decided that "this has to stop" and is executing her plan. Flynn is now living in a stub created when Alita's plan involved sending the plans for the headset to a fab in columbia.

No more details unless everyone lets me know that like WestWorld you have no interest.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Flynn

Casual Observer

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:15 pmFlynn
Ok, Jonsey is actually drunk as he said.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:50 pm So elephant butt pix are like some kind of weird advent calendar?

Great....
Don't tempt me; I have the ultimate "elephant butt" picture. I'm not sure if you want to see it.

Casual Observer

Tdarcos wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:10 am

Great....
Don't tempt me; I have the ultimate "elephant butt" picture. I'm not sure if you want to see it.
We do blanch, we do.

Casual Observer

Finished the season. Strong recommend to anyone who likes time travel, robot bodies operated over time , cool as shit gun battles and fights. Unique ending too.