Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Jizaboz

Xenon repair

Post by Jizaboz »

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Xenon repair

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Having trouble pulling those traces? Blown capacitor? Let's ask for technical help from the Female Robot Xenon Sex Robot!!! Fellas - she can't say no!

>no
I don't see any "no" here
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

When someone mentioned Xenon Flashes I'm reminded of the scene from the movie (and the book) Andromeda Strain where the team members are individually in a shower compartment told by a recorded voice to put on a steel helmet, then they are subjected to a xenon lamp flash which burns away the outer layers of their skin (as an antiseptic measure).

So be really careful if this Xenon game actually has a xenon lamp...
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Why have I never read this book before?! This shit sounds awesome https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Andromeda_Strain
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Jizaboz wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:10 pm Why have I never read this book before?! This shit sounds awesome https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Andromeda_Strain
This is a classic Michael Crichton book, well before "Outbreak" or the actual outbreak which has upended our lives.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I will definitely be reading the book soon.

Here is an update I just sent "the customer":

Began work on the MPU board today.
First step is neutralizing any acid remnants and corrosion. I spent about an hour and a half hitting it with white vinegar, then filtered water, then 99% iso alcohol before fan-drying it. Tomorrow I will hit it once more with a thick Sno-Bowl toilet cleaner in the bad spots with a toothbrush to remove the rest.

I looked up a way to get the board on a "test bench" like I do for my arcade boards so that I test it without it being in the pinball machine. I have everything I need with exception to a couple of alligator clips and a 9 volt battery to put in-line to the 12v coming off my power supply to give it the 21 volt check that ultimately triggers that 7th green LED blink on boot-up.

Important note: We need to check F4 (fuse 4 on the voltage board underneath the playfield) to make sure it has not burned out. I didn't notice any blown fuses, but it was kinda dark. If it has not, and we check the voltage at the spot before it reaches the connection to resistor 113 on that MPU board, and make sure it reads 43 VDC. R113 actually breaks it down to 21VDC. If the circuit is stuck open like we saw.. it is stuck at too high a voltage and the solenoids never fire

Most likely gonna need parts. Rather than trying to match up random resisters and such I have laying around, I am going ahead and ordering this https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/ ... Y35-BA-KIT parts kit that was designed years ago to replace all components including those resisters suspect to corrosion and just burning out.

I will say I need at least another week from now to get this board fixed and tested as OK. No charge for any of this of course! Just happy to work on it, learn more, and pay you back for letting me have Bosco. Now I will say though IF for some reason this MPU board is beyond repair.. there is a modern replacement called the "Universal MPU". It's superior, never leaks.. but is neither original or cheap. They go for about 200$ though.. and even if you would like to go with that option, I should at least attempt to get the original going
If this turns out well, I will be thrilled to get this machine going and some elements like the back glass art restored. At least at that point.. if I EVER get a hook up on a Funhouse machine to buy for myself and work on for 3k or less, I won't feel like a complete dumbass who has never worked on a pinball machine.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I fixed the MPU last week! I need to get back over to my buddies house to hook it up soon.

Bosconian PCB with new sockets should be done soon by the more pro guy I sent it to (didn’t want to risk dorking up such a rare game board)

Precious Neo Geo game PCB finally removed for total restoration surgery! Time to move beyond my OCD blocks with that and go on with life. Not nearly as scary as a concept as it was 6 years ago or so when I bought the machine. Spent a lot of time doing prep cleaning today and asked a question on klov about straightening pins in my memory card slot interface. Tomorrow I will begin replacing 20+ capacitors. Wish me look for brighter colors, less rare sound glitching, and no burnt traces or lifted through-holes haha
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Casual Observer wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:34 pm
Jizaboz wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:10 pm Why have I never read this book before?! This shit sounds awesome https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Andromeda_Strain
This is a classic Michael Crichton book, well before "Outbreak" or the actual outbreak which has upended our lives.
I enjoyed this movie by the way! Haven’t read the book yet but I found the movie did a good job pulling off a realistic scenario despite some groaning of some parts simply being outdated.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I did go back last month and install the repaired MPU. The game fired up after a lot of fiddling and we played a couple of rough games. Really erratic but dude was happy to see it half ass running again. I determined the power supply needed to be rebuilt but after looking into what was involved I said fuggit and bought a much nicer modern replacement. For 50$ more than buying parts to fix that jank and all the headache involved it was totally worth it.

Ok, so new power board installed yesterday and now of course it won’t start a game. You coin it up and then it says “Xenon” and then does the game over sound. On the bright side, we have consistency now! When it had bad voltage, she would basically behave different every time we powered it on. Not now! Weird static over audio like a badly grounded guitar amp is fixed. Next step is replace a couple of old big, old capacitors on his driver board I guess. Solenoid self test still works. I see some burnt out resisters on the voice board so looks like I have more parts to order.

This guy is cool as hell though. He was happy just to see changes and learning more as I did. Has fun working on it like I do. After work was done and notes were made, we shared a couple (2!) of glasses of the Evan Williams he drinks and I drove the half hour back home already looking forward to working on it again. Handed me a wad of 20s and I shoved it in my pocket. I’ve mentioned I’ve spent nearly 140$ on parts and wax.. just counted it and he handed me 300$ !!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻