Rides With Strangers

Television & Motorcycles

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Ice Cream Jonsey

Rides With Strangers

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I came home for lunch today. As I went to make a left, an older woman frantically tried to flag me down. There was a stop sign. I had to stop. She was almost in the middle of the street.

"I missed the bus and I see you are turning left. I can get on back and you can give me a ride up to 40th street," she said.

There were many reasons why that wasn't going to happen but I shook my head and said I've never had a passenger (which is true).

I remember that she didn't really phrase it as a request, more like, oh good, you stopped. Here's what's next.

What's the angle with this one? I can't think of anything I'd be up for less than a stranger riding behind me on a motorcycle.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Gas, grass or gas, lady. Nobody rides for free.

pinback

Post by pinback »

It is a customary, "unwritten rule" for bikers to give fellow bikers rides when needed.

OHHhhhh. Now you fucked up.

(You have fucked up now.)
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

All she'd have to do is lean the wrong way into a turn to cause you a wreck, and then you'll be paying doctor and lawyer bills.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Also customary.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Yeah, this is an old trick. They ask you for a ride somewhere and then when you get there you realize they've stolen your kidney.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Charrrrr-leeeeee!

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

She was probably a rapist.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I wish I had noticed this one earlier, it's funny!
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:I came home for lunch today. As I went to make a left, an older woman frantically tried to flag me down. [DELETED] I can't think of anything I'd be up for less than a stranger riding behind me on a motorcycle.
Yeah, but would you have been this reticent if she was young and cute?
AArdvark wrote:Gas, grass or gas, lady. Nobody rides for free.
'Vark, it's "Gas, grass, or ass." Back in the mid 60s, '70s and early '80s, before they had incurable and then fatal venereal diseases, one night stands and "zipless fuck"s were supposedly very common. (Today they call it "hooking up.") Sometimes people met, they clicked, and had sex the same day. Some TV shows that offered people a chance to meet and go on a date reported that as many as 25% of the couples had sex on the first date.

Here is something to think about. In Virginia along the I-95 corridor from Dumfries, about 30 miles to Washington, DC, is a separate High Occupancy Vehicle Lane (HOV), which runs northbound in the morning and southbound in the afternoon. It's HOV-3, meaning you must have 3 or more passengers in the car. So people driving into work will stop at the park-and-ride lot in Stafford or near Potomac Mills and pick up two hitchhikers who are going the same place they are, whether it's somewhere in Fairfax county, Alexandria, Arlington or DC. No money exchanges hands; the two extra people get to ride for free in exchange for the driver being able to use the HOV lanes and get there 20 minutes faster. The extra passengers are referred to as "slugs" and the places where they wait and where drivers look for them are called "slug lines."

Going back home the driver in Downtown DC or well-known locations in the Virginia areas will look for people going back where he or she is for the same reason, to return using the HOV lanes.

This all sprouted up ad-hoc, nobody organized it, and it's been happening 5 days a week for more than twenty-five years, and in this whole time there's been no report of any attacks or assaults between drivers and slugs.
Jizaboz wrote:All she'd have to do is lean the wrong way into a turn to cause you a wreck, and then you'll be paying doctor and lawyer bills.
This is why motorcycle operators are required to carry insurance same as automobile operators. And motorcycle insurance is fairly cheap; Geico even advertises it "as low as $100 a year." I'd have to pay more than that to get wheelchair collision insurance.
Flack wrote:Yeah, this is an old trick. They ask you for a ride somewhere and then when you get there you realize they've stolen your kidney.
That happens so often with these rogue surgeons who are so skilled they can operate on a moving vehicle.
RealNC wrote:She was probably a rapist.
Yeah, those women can be brutal.

On a serious note, I was shocked to discover that potentially a whopping 30% of all rapes can be woman on man, or woman on woman. Young men or boys who are raped by a woman are often afraid to say anything because it sounds ridiculous or it makes him look weak.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

It was autocorrect, I was posting from my phone.

What else did you write about?

THE
BLURRED LINES
AARDVARK

Bob Ross' Joy of Painting

Post by Bob Ross' Joy of Painting »

It was a prostitute.

Pretty common practice actually.

Basically making up a bullshit story about a ride (to use as an alibi towards law enforcement if they have to), when only a john would pick up a stranger, and only a hooker would get into a strange vehicle.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Bob Ross' Joy of Painting wrote:It was a prostitute.

Pretty common practice actually.

Basically making up a bullshit story about a ride (to use as an alibi towards law enforcement if they have to), when only a john would pick up a stranger, and only a hooker would get into a strange vehicle.
Oh please, I have both been a hitch-hiker, and picked up hitch-hikers, at various times. Picked up two cute girls once, drove out of my way to drop them off, and just enjoyed the experience. Nothing happened, and nothing happened.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Tdarcos wrote:Oh please, I have both been a hitch-hiker, and picked up hitch-hikers, at various times. Picked up two cute girls once, drove out of my way to drop them off, and just enjoyed the experience. Nothing happened, and nothing happened.
When was the last time you did any of this? People used to leave their front doors unlocked as well at one point.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Unless he found someone driving a power scooter accessible van to pick him up, I'd assume it was at least twenty years ago. Have you also read about the one and only time he had sex? Fairly sad read, but that was in the 80s' I believe, so that means:

1. This hitch hiking thang was at least thrift years ago.
2. Even if the girls were offering, he wouldn't have been able to pick up on the signals.
3. They were apparently successful in teasing a guy that didn't know any better, to the point where he would take them where they wanted.
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

RetroRomper wrote:Unless he found someone driving a power scooter accessible van to pick him up, I'd assume it was at least twenty years ago.
That's probably about right. But the fact remains, in 1995 it was still considered as dangerous as now to pick up hitchhikers.
Have you also read about the one and only time he had sex?
From where did you get that idea? I've been with more than one woman in my life. Exactly where did you find some reading material about "the one and only time I had sex" as you call it?
3. They were apparently successful in teasing a guy that didn't know any better, to the point where he would take them where they wanted.
Nobody 'teased' me. Two females were looking for a ride. I drove them where they wanted to go simply because I felt sorry for them. Because I've been in that situation myself. Does not mean I had any other interest nor was I manipulated into doing something I might not have done otherwise.

Either way, picking up a stranger or getting into a strange vehicle is about the dumbest thing you could ever do. If you see an individual or a group stranded by a vehicle, drive past them without stopping or contacting them, pull off at the next exit or a mile down the road and report it to law enforcement if you are that concerned about it. Don't ever under any circumstance pick up hitchhikers, they made poor life decisions and should never be trusted, you are likely to get mugged or worse, and call law enforcement if have any reasonable cause or desire to do so. And never, ever, ever, under any circumstance get into a strange vehicle. Walk, roll, or crawl wherever you need to go.

pinback

Post by pinback »

"Live in fear", I think is what Billy is trying to say.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

pinback wrote:"Live in fear", I think is what Billy is trying to say.
No. What I was trying to say is "Don't be a fucking moron and get yourself killed over shit that doesn't concern you, because there are some real fucking dangerous animals out there who don't give a shit about your tough guy persona." I was just trying to say it nicer.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

So..."Fear and shun everyone you see." Got it.

The Happiness Engine wrote:So..."Fear and shun everyone you see." Got it.
It's not about fearing or shunning, it's about not trusting. Make friends with whoever you want at work, school, the gym, that's just healthy interaction. But if they aren't somebody you would invite into your home, then you'd be smart to not invite them into your car or get into theirs.