Front tires

Television & Motorcycles

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Ice Cream Jonsey

Front tires

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I have a very slow leak on my front tire.

Is it worth trying to get it fixed at a shop or is it advisable to get a whole new tire? Is it possible for something between the tire and rim to fail?

I'll prioritize replies as such:

1) Donald Eberson
2) Everyone else
3) Russian crash video survivors
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Get a new tire. Safety is priority one. Car tire fails, you just pull over and call triple A. Bike tire fails, they pick you up with a shovel.

THE
TRUE TEMPER
AARDVARK

Flack

Post by Flack »

I recently had a slow leak develop on one of my truck's tires. When we took it in they deflated it and aired it back up and that fixed it. The guy said sometimes when the weather changes it'll break loose the seal. Either way, a shop can diagnose it for you. A new front tire should be less than $100 on that bike I'm guessing.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I'd agree Aardvark but I don't think ICJ rarely goes faster than 35 MPH on that bike of his. Heh-heh

If it's a new tire I'd just get it "plugged" at a tire shop for like 20$ (a buddy of mine that runs one just does it for me for free). If it's started to lose tread and stuff, yeah go ahead and replace it

Donald Ebinsen

Re: Front tires

Post by Donald Ebinsen »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:I have a very slow leak on my front tire.

Is it worth trying to get it fixed at a shop or is it advisable to get a whole new tire? Is it possible for something between the tire and rim to fail?
Did you try either a bicycle or motorcycle repair shop and ask them? Yes, I said bicycle even though you're using a motorcycle, they often handle people with motorbikes or mopeds. and either might have ideas or might have lesser biases since you won't be buying from them.

Have you considered flat fixer? Someone here said you usually don't go very fast, so you could try that and see if it fills the leak, then (as the instruction says) pump the fix gas out and replace with air.

I've never ridden a motorcycle but I've done car tires both ways, either as plugging small leaks and replacing tires when larger or when I had enough money that going to the trouble to repair a tire wasn't worth it.

Two other reduced cost possibilities: used tires and going to a junkyard and buying a second wheel, then getting a tire for that. Did that back in Texas circa 1980, I was buying retreads as needed and decided to carry a second spare in the back of the car. Went to a junkyard tg buy another wheel which I'd use as a second wheel, but it had a perfectly good tire, so for $5 I got a spare wheel and spare tire. The spare tire would have cost about $15 then, so I really lucked out on that deal.

Flack

Re: Front tires

Post by Flack »

Donald Ebinsen wrote:I've never ridden a motorcycle
/tunes out 17 line response.

(Except for the part about going to a junkyard and buying a second wheel and carrying it around on your motorcycle. That's a great idea.)
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Flack just made me spit out my water!

THE
WET KEYBOARD AND MONITOR
AARDVARK

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

Jesus, don't fucking put fix-a-flat in your tire. Have a shop see if it just needs to be re-seated onto the rim or something (probably not) and then just buy a tire.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

All right, we got some great replies. Thanks, everyone. Let's rank them according to the opening post's instructions:

1) Donald Eberson
2) Everyone else
3) Russian crash video survivors

So!

#1 DONALD EBERBAYE:
Have you considered flat fixer? Someone here said you usually don't go very fast, so you could try that and see if it fills the leak, then (as the instruction says) pump the fix gas out and replace with air.
Nice. NIIICE! This is what I like to hear. The advantages of this way is that it's cheaper, it means I get to use the tire that has all its tread and I can just drop it off. Excellent. Thanks, Donny!

#2 EVERYONE ELSE
Aardvark wrote:Get a new tire. Safety is priority one.
Priority one is looking cool!
/me fails to get leather cleaner for his leather jacket having owned it for three years
Flack wrote: deflated it and aired it back up and that fixed it.
I like this one. It can deflate on its own over the winter, and I can fill it back with air with my pump in March. Love it! No complaints here.
Jizaboz wrote:If it's a new tire I'd just get it "plugged" at a tire shop for like 20$
Jiz with the easy way out and the German way of noting currency by putting the symbol second. That's how they caught the guy who killed the Lindbergh baby, by the way. Just saying.
The Happiness Engine wrote:Jesus, don't fucking put fix-a-flat in your tire.
All right there Mr. Negative. Just for that, no matter what happens you should consider Fix-a-Flat.... for your heart

#3 was a joke. There are no Russian crash survivors. Much like cancer, you can only ever be in partial Russian crash remission.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

If you were black, you could just steal one from another bike.