The edit-able house thread

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark

Re: The edit-able house thread

Post by AArdvark »

Got stung by a bee while adjusting the garage doorframe. Little yellow fuckers had a nest under the siding.
There were many casualties to the yellowjacket community this afternoon.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:11 pm Got stung by a bee while adjusting the garage doorframe. Little yellow fuckers had a nest under the siding.
I'm not sure what you mean. A bee is not a yellow jacket, a yellow jacket is a wasp*. So was it a bee, a wasp, or were both species of insects around?

Also, your bees must be more hostile. We get them around here going back over 20 years ago that I've noticed, hovering around trash cans (open public receptacles) because people drop easily accessible sweet items into them, called soft drinks and candy bars. I used to be scared, but they are so used to people that they just ignore us, unless we're hostile to them. Maybe it was a wasp, after all.

- - - -
* A yellow jacket is also a piece of clothing, typically a raincoat, but that's not relevant here.
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:53 am
AArdvark wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:11 pm Got stung by a bee while adjusting the garage doorframe. Little yellow fuckers had a nest under the siding.
I'm not sure what you mean.
I don't believe you.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I feel he's being contrary, just because he can. I got my garage door all straightened out and eradicated a bunch of flying, stinging creatures that were nesting under my siding. i can mail some of the corpses to you, Commander, so you can identify them if you want.

THE
TAXONOMY
AARDVARK

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:22 am
Tdarcos wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:53 am
I'm not sure what you mean.
I don't believe you.
And I don't give one flying fuck what you bee lieve. Yellowjackets are not bees, nor the other way round. Wasps can be yellowjackets, bees cannot. If he has a bee infestation, then he doesn't have yellowjackets, but if he has an infestation of yelowjackets, he does not have bees. Unless he has both, but he didn't say that.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

pinback

Post by pinback »

People hate when people do things like you did there. It's not to late to learn how to communicate with people in a normal, not-extremely-annoying way.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

He picks the weirdest hills to die on. They were just flying, stinging bugs of a yellow persuasion. Let it go. I'm over it and I got attacked by them

Flack

Post by Flack »

pinback wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:02 pm People hate when people do things like you did there. It's not to late to learn how to communicate with people in a normal, not-extremely-annoying way.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:02 pm People hate when people do things like you did there. It's not to late to learn how to communicate with people in a normal, not-extremely-annoying way.
Look. Who's. Talking.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Update! Oh look, a surprise patio is being installed in my backyard to go with our new surprise hot tub!

Huh...

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

My brother brought over his mini excavator and dug out the patio base. It would have taken me three days with a shovel. Power tools are good!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Moved two pallets of rocks today. My back is saying F you.

Gravel delivery is imminent

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

What a cool as shit excavator! I would love to have one of those, and a reason to have one of those. What does your brother do that he has such a cool toy?

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

He's one of those guys with close neighbors that all have big boy toys. They are always borrowing stuff from each other to do projects. He's an engineer at HarrisRF by trade but he has a big ass barn full of equipment. I wrote a short story for RobB's upcoming game that depicts a guy with a home shop so equiped that he could 'fix a train engine'. I based that on my brother's pole barn. He installed a car lift in there so he can do oil changes and other repairs just likes the professionals. He has an old RG&E bucket truck so he can wash his second story windows or prune tree limbs or even hang one of those big Christmas wreaths out front.

Hes like those Doo-zers from Fraggle Rock, always working on stuff

odyssia76

Post by odyssia76 »

Since this is a house thread it seems appropriate to mention that we have bought some land in Vermont and will be building a house there. Whee! Moving sucks tho.
128 char limit on sigs? Srsly? SO lame.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Will you document any home improvement projects here?

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

That's cool, Odyssia! You should definitely keep us updated on the move. My stereotypical impression of Vermont is that everyone there is either a farmer (of the liberal but still gun-toting variety), works for IBM, or has some kind of super small, super quirky small business. Can we expect some Jolt Country discounts on energy crystals in our future? Stay tuned!

odyssia76

Post by odyssia76 »

AArdvark wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:32 pm Will you document any home improvement projects here?
Well, the biggest home improvement project will be "Build a house." That's a big home improvement over "sleep on the ground."

I imagine I will occasionally mention stuff here, probably just to vent.

Complaint #1: buying land and building a house takes way too fucking long.

Luckily the house will be modular, which is the way all sane people now build them. A big improvement over the traditional method of "pile a bunch of expensive lumber in the rain and let the bugs eat it while you hope that Jeb the local contractor will actually make it to work today and nail some of it together if he isn't too hung over." The advantages of moudular are so great that anyone who builds a house the old way these days is a moron.

But designing your own home sure is fun.

odyssia76

Post by odyssia76 »

bryanb wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:21 pm That's cool, Odyssia! You should definitely keep us updated on the move. My stereotypical impression of Vermont is that everyone there is either a farmer (of the liberal but still gun-toting variety), works for IBM, or has some kind of super small, super quirky small business. Can we expect some Jolt Country discounts on energy crystals in our future? Stay tuned!
While the general impression people have of Vermont is not exactly false, it goes way beyond stereotypes. Yeah, there are a lot of farms and farmers. Quirky small businesses do abound. It is very rural and they like it that way and keep it that way on purpose. In my opinion it's pretty demonstrably the best place to live in the world, which is one of the reasons for the move. It doesn't hurt that there are rainbow flags everywhere, BLM banners, and very few members of the Orange Asshole Cult (there may be more than are visible, but they seem to be smart enough to keep their mouths shut). Last time I was there we were at a gas station and one person complained about the price of gas. A right-wing nutjob next to him said loudly "Thanks, Biden!". Someone else nearby said "How is it Biden's fault? The pandemic is screwing with the whole supply chain." The nutjob said "Biden's shipping oil from Afghanistan!!" (not sure about that conspiracy theory or how it is supposed to work). The other person looked at them and, with positively withering contempt, said "Dude, there's no OIL in Afghanistan."[1] Shut that asshole right up. I was amused and happy. I walked in and on the bathroom instead of a sign saying MEN or WOMEN it said "Whatever." I bet the asshat really has to grit his teeth everytime he sees that. Ahh, Schadenfreude.

One thing that is a myth is that there are a ton of sappy crystal wavers. I mean, sure, there are some - there are some everywhere. But not in any real greater percentage than anywhere else. Most peopel don't go ion foir pseudoscience. In fact Vermont is the most secular/atheist state in the country. There are a lot of atheist hippies, though, which is good because I like hippies.

One thing most people don't know is how awesome the food is. You have A) a shitload of farms all through the state, and B) a population of health-conscious educated liberals. Almost all the restaurants are local "farm to table", with simple, delicious, fresh stuff from local farms mad by people who are seriously into cooking healthy food. And of course you can buy all kinds of fresh local goodies at the local co-ops.

[1] Before anyone jumps on me - yes, there is probably some oil in Afghanistan, but because [reasons] it is not a significant or realistically usable amount, nothing of strategic importance.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

And they got Ben & Jerrys!