We Are Starting a BBS Fundraiser

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

We Are Starting a BBS Fundraiser

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

As those of you who attended our cocktail party can attest, I recently spent about two thousand dollars getting cancer and rocks out of the dog. All the bills came due on the BBS and domain and - most importantly - DNS owner masking at the same time. So we are doing a fund raiser that is going to begin on 4/1, but there is a pre-thread we have to have before hand.

We are taking PLEDGES from now until the actual start of the raiser. For tax purposes, if anyone sends us here at JC corp ahead of time I'll refund it. The PLEDGES are not pledges of money, but PLEDGES of BEHAVIOR. The idea is, you are pledging what will or will not happen.

Understand? Make sense? Honestly, this is one of the clearest threads we've ever had here. You make your PLEDGE and then nominate someone else go to. I exempt myself from this because I couldn't bear to single out one of you generous people from the others and play favorites.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Re: We Are Starting a BBS Fundraiser

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:We are taking PLEDGES from now until the actual start of the raiser. For tax purposes, if anyone sends us here at JC corp ahead of time I'll refund it. The PLEDGES are not pledges of money, but PLEDGES of BEHAVIOR. The idea is, you are pledging what will or will not happen.
I was considering pledging being an insufferable prick but unfortunately Pinback has completely usurped that position.

I know a few things about taxes because I wanted to structure things so if I ever got into a large amount of money I could legally avoid taxes to the maximum extent possible.

First of all, any time someone gives you something, in which nothing is exchanged for that gift, no work, no action, nothing but appreciation, that gift is not taxable to you.

If someone gives you more than $14,000 in any year they are required to report it for the purposes of gift tax, but the payer of the gift is normally liable for the tax, and anything above the limit counts toward their lifetime gift tax exclusion, which means someone who gives more than $14,000 to anyone in one year is not liable until they have given gifts during their lifetime that exceeded the limit by $5.3 million.

So, simply, gifts given to you in which the other expects nothing in return are not taxable to you (with exceptions not relevant to you.)

Two things. 1. If it helps to save you a little money for the cost of shadow domain registration - and it works perfectly since I have no idea where you are - you're authorized to use my address here in Maryland as your address for this or any other BBS, and if I get mail addressed to it I would scan it and e-mail it to you. You can use your name or the BBS name or even my corporation's name, as the nominee for registration purposes.
2. If it can help I'll offer $25 to cover the cost of two domain registrations. I can give you he number of a prepaid Visa Debit card I was given as a Christmas present that I haven't even opened.

Other than that if there is something that is within my power to do I'm willing to try. Or some other pledge.
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Tdarcos wrote:...
Seriously?

pinback

Post by pinback »

Notch up another ruined thread.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I propose not to use Tdarcos for any of my tax needs. And also not to eat any rocks.

Aardvark?
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Well, what I'd LIKE to do is pledge ten bucks for every new Don Rogers episode that hits the download area, thereby putting the pressure on notable content creator Pinback while contributing to the BBS Relief Fund. A win-win for me but this probably wont happen.

I will pledge to get my cocktail story posted in here pretty soon and, uh...stop making fun of anyone with Asperger's Syndrome. If there's anyone here that has it. Oh, and Crazy Doodles. I pledge to tip back a couple wobbly pops and create more Crazy Doodles.

THE
QUITE THE
LAUNDRY LIST
AARDVARK

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:Notch up another ruined thread.
Now this is ridiculous. He asked for pledges stating some erroneous facts. I offered some along with a correction. Now you come along and proceed to say it's wrong. But that's all.

This was a "teachable moment" where you could have explained what was wrong to perhaps give me the chance to understand what I did wrong and maybe not repeat the problem, maybe make future errors less likely. But you just shat all over it.

You know what you are? You're like a language compiler that, when handed a 1200 line program, says "ERROR" as the only response. No indication of which line, no indication of what error, just "ERROR" and no indication of why.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote:This was a "teachable moment" where you could have explained what was wrong to perhaps give me the chance to understand what I did wrong and maybe not repeat the problem, maybe make future errors less likely.
Okay. If you at any point are writing anything about tax laws and regulations in any thread that is not titled -- word for word, here -- "Paul, I need some help with tax laws and regulations", you are writing a bad post.

CO

Post by CO »

It's true, ICJ made a joke about tax purposes so opened it up to Dr tacos' rant. I pledge to never type the word tax on this site and i think everyone else should too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

CO wrote:It's true, ICJ made a joke about tax purposes so opened it up to Dr tacos' rant. I pledge to never type the word tax on this site and i think everyone else should too.
CO is correct. I only did that because I didn't want anyone to start sending money in a farce thread. Now look at it. Just .... look at what could have been.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
CO wrote:It's true, ICJ made a joke about tax purposes so opened it up to Dr tacos' rant. I pledge to never type the word tax on this site and i think everyone else should too.
CO is correct. I only did that because I didn't want anyone to start sending money in a farce thread. Now look at it. Just .... look at what could have been.
Don't you know the Second Law of the Internet? "The fastest way to find out something is to post a wrong answer and wait for a correction." If you say something on-its-face wrong you have to expect someone may challenge you.

(By the way, the First Law of the Internet is Godwin's law. "The longer a conversation continues, the higher the probability someone will bring up Hitler or the Nazis.")
- J.R.R. Tolkien

pinback

Post by pinback »

No, the first rule of the Internet is that Paul Robinson will take everything literally, regardless of context, 100% of the time, even if you specify in the previous sentence, "Paul Robinson, do not take the next sentence literally, for the love of Christ, and don't reply with anything about religion because I said 'Christ', either."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Paul, you ruined the thread. That's OK, that's your thing. But maybe give some of these threads a chance to breathe before quoting tax code next time. That's all.

I would like you to research the would-be game "Reagan" by Infocom / Steve Meretzky. That's what it feels like, having you here, sometimes.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Paul, you ruined the thread. That's OK, that's your thing. But maybe give some of these threads a chance to breathe before quoting tax code next time. That's all.

I would like you to research the would-be game "Reagan" by Infocom / Steve Meretzky. That's what it feels like, having you here, sometimes.
Look, the way you were talking about this I had the impression you were in serious trouble, like I was many years ago when I had no assets, no credit, was illiquid and was about to lose my domain names because I was short $70 and had to beg for help.

I thought about how I was in trouble back then and try to return the favor, but now, to paraphrase Pinback:

Christ! You know it ain't easy
You know how hard it can be
The way things are goin'
They're gonna crucify me
- The Beatles, The Ballad of John and Yoko
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:I would like you to research the would-be game "Reagan" by Infocom / Steve Meretzky. That's what it feels like, having you here, sometimes.
Looked it up on Wikipedia, it ain't there so obviously it doesn't exist. Just like if an event allegedly occurs and video of it isn't on YouTube it never happened. Or the way the asshole CRs on Caltrops "know" Bob Hope never told a joke about the American hostages in Iran.

I did try a Google search and came up empty. There is a computer virus named "Ronald Reagan" however.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:I would like you to research the would-be game "Reagan" by Infocom / Steve Meretzky. That's what it feels like, having you here, sometimes.
Are you sure it's called "Reagan"? What keeps coming up is A Mind Forever Voyaging where some of the search results come up "The game was explicitly intended as a polemical critique of Ronald Reagan's political policies." I actually had the game back when I was pirating everything I could find. I may have played it a few minutes once. That would literally have been about 28-29 years ago, 1985-6.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Ice Cream Jonsey

No, it was Reagan, keep searching.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:51 pm No, it was Reagan, keep searching.
You had four years to make that request. Well, maybe 3½.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Ice Cream Jonsey

This thread got me audited by the way.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

It looks like the commander also tried to steal JC from ICJ.