My Top 10 Songs by The Cure

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz

My Top 10 Songs by The Cure

Post by Jizaboz »

10. "Caterpillar Girl" - Only real "happy" song on my list. When I first met my girlfriend in Chicago, as we drove to bar #2 the second night we were together, she was blasting this song in her car while happily singing along. Every time I hear it I can vividly remember that night and how it was the first time I was genuinely enjoying my existence outside of a video game in I don't know how long.

9. "Lullaby" - First song I remember really liking and enjoying the video to as a kid. I believe I saw "Just Like Heaven" first, but I enjoyed how this song drones along much more than the upbeat tempo of Just Like Heaven. Would probably be higher on the list if I hadn't heard a billion times.

8. "Fascination Street" - It was a tossup between this and "A Forest". However, the latter I didn't really get into until seeing the band live a couple years ago. I always liked the verse, the bass line, and the random guitar echos in this one. Probably the only song on the list that would go well in a skateboarding video.

7. "At Night" - Shit gets weird at night.

6. "The Walk" - Reminds me of meeting random girls when I was really young and sneaking out to meet them at night. Sometimes in the rain. Sometimes they wouldn't be there.

5. "Let's Go to Bed" - A song kind of in the same theme as #4, but a lot more upbeat. Dancing in the video is amusing.

4. "Day Like This" - Relationships falling apart, never to be the same again.

3. "All I Want" - I always thought this song could be interpreted 2 different ways.. either he wants to hold her "like a doll" because she's like a pretty baby doll.. or she's now lifeless and dead like a doll.

2. "Lament" - Wonderfully depressing song basically about death and cherished things always going away.

1. "Strange Day" - Interesting backstory on that one, Flack! Perhaps it's on the top of my list rather than the end because I did too much LSD when I was younger. Without knowing of that story; I just identified with end of the world in a personal respect (death), not necessarily a global one and actually thought of piles of waste and garbage after a natural catastrophe.

Honorable mention: "All I Have to do is Kill Her" (Live B-Side) - I would probably rank this higher if there were better recordings of the song. Meaning of the song seems pretty evident.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Flack

Re: My Top 10 Songs by The Cure

Post by Flack »

Jizaboz wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:55 am 3. "All I Want" - I always thought this song could be interpreted 2 different ways.. either he wants to hold her "like a doll" because she's like a pretty baby doll.. or she's now lifeless and dead like a doll.
While your version is better, he's actually saying "hold you like a dog," a fact I know because I read the lyric sheet a million times as a teen and still never quite got a clear visual as to what that would look like. I like "doll" way better and am going to start singing it that way in the car.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Jizaboz

Re: My Top 10 Songs by The Cure

Post by Jizaboz »

Hahaha all this time I had no fucking idea! MIND BLOWN.

Yeah, my version is better.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻