Stuppidity in "assault weapons"

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

Stuppidity in "assault weapons"

Post by Tdarcos »

I'm listening to the Dem. debate and they start a yak-yak on "assault weapons." I have never understood this. Assault weapons, or "weapons of war," as they are referred to, must be referring to automatic weapons. Well, "assault weapons" have been banned for private ownership by the Gun Owners Protection Act of 1986.

An AR-15 and a deer rifle are exactly the same thing in terms of range and lethality. One just looks "scarier" than the other, which is why some ignorant people want to ban them. Both of these weapons are semi-automatic: one trigger pull, one bullet fired. Neither can be converted to full automatic.

A Ruger Mini 30 is your typical looking rifle, wood stock, etc. It fires the exact same ammo as an AK-47, 7.62x39. And either weapon would be reasonable to hunt deer with. And the Mini 30 can be converted to carry a magazine and have a steel body. Which will then make it look like the "nasty" AK-47.

See this article: https://www.quora.com/What-firearms-are ... se-instead
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Jizaboz

Re: Stuppidity in "assault weapons"

Post by Jizaboz »

A gun is a gun in many respects until you start talking full auto, napalm rounds, rocket launchers and such. None of which are legal in this country.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Flack

Post by Flack »

Casual Observer wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:58 am The issue with assault weapons really has to do with the amount of ammo it can hold. I had a 22 semi auto rifle as a teen and you could insert maybe 6 bullets into the slot. There's no reason a deer hunter needs a clip with dozens of bullets and if he does then he's such a bad shot then he shouldn't be hunting in the first place. Also, I'd say a 22 caliber isn't ideal for deer hunting, way too small. The ar-15 was designed to maim people instead of kill, because injuring someone on a battlefield takes at least 2 or more people out of the fight as they help the injured guy. Also, the ar-15 can be converted into fully auto with either modifications or more easily with a bump stock.

This country has a huge mass shooting problem and all we can do about is chip away at the fringe issues like assault style weapons, bump stocks, large clips, and gun show loopholes.
Where I grew up, .22 guns were thought of as "bigger BB guns." Nobody would go hunting with one unless you were hunting rabbits or squirrels. (Note that I've never really been hunting. Despite growing up in Oklahoma, I'm a city boy.)

I never worked it all out, but one time I was trying to come up with some sort of exchange/penalty system for owning guns. Like, if you own a hunting rifle then you can't buy as much food as other people because you plan on obtaining some in the wild for yourself. Another fringe idea I had was, make firing squads the official form of death penalty in this country and then make everyone who owns a gun part of a raffle so that every time someone is sentenced to death, their name goes into a raffle and could be drawn to be part of the firing squad. A third less extreme idea would be to tax the shit out of everything. The other day my wife and I were walking through Academy and they had 50 packs of 9mm rounds for $9. I bought a box even though I don't need any. If they had been $50, or $100, I wouldn't have. $300-$400 isn't pocket change for a pistol, but if they were 10x that it would rule out the casual "I'll buy one just in case" owners (including myself). Another less popular idea is getting rid of magazines. Make every rifle like the one CO had (holds 5-6 shots) and only sell revolvers.

We have a lot of problems in this country that I don't think are immediately solvable. When it comes to our gun problem and gun violence I think we should be thinking more along the lines of, how can we solve this over the next 20 years.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:30 am The other day my wife and I were walking through Academy and they had 50 packs of 9mm rounds for $9. I bought a box even though I don't need any.
That prices 9mm bullets at 18¢ each. Back when I could walk, so that probahly makes it 15 years ago, G. Gordon Liddy was on the radio, and I remember him saying, "Nine millimeter bullets cost 17¢ each, and there are people so worthless they aren't even worth the price of one."

I know a while ago there was a big worry in the gun community, because the Department of Homeland Security had placed orders with practically every manufacturer of 9mm bullets, amounting to millions of rounds. For a while, nobody else could get 9mm rounds. There was nothing sinister about it, figure if DHS was going to have emergency stockpiles of ammo, in every major metropolitan area for local authorities to use in case of riots, they'd need millions of rounds.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

It's said major engineering advances come at the price of people's lives, meaning for a lot of projects we don't discover how not to build a building, bridge, or ship until something goes wrong and people get killed. So too are some gun laws. The BATF never cared about bump stocks, because nobody had ever had or caused a problem with them. Then comes the Las Vegas shooter...

Flack

Post by Flack »

Tdarcos wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:48 am
Flack wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:30 am The other day my wife and I were walking through Academy and they had 50 packs of 9mm rounds for $9. I bought a box even though I don't need any.
That prices 9mm bullets at 18¢ each. Back when I could walk, so that probahly makes it 15 years ago, G. Gordon Liddy was on the radio, and I remember him saying, "Nine millimeter bullets cost 17¢ each, and there are people so worthless they aren't even worth the price of one."
I rounded down slightly.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I personally think going after bump stocks is like making people take their shoes off at the airport. We had one kook use each method and now it's off to the witch hunt races. Don't get me wrong -- you have to go pretty far out there to come up with a legitimate reason to own or use a bump stock, but focusing on them seems like a probably well-intended but ultimately misguided effort.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Oh this is where CO meant to post!

I never thought about the cost of ammo like that honestly. I definitely have thought about how the ammo for my antique rifle (1938 German K98) I still shoot is about 1$ a round though!

Also woah man Vegas Shooting.. I have a hard time buying the official story of what is reported went down there.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Jizaboz wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:39 pm Oh this is where CO meant to post!

I never thought about the cost of ammo like that honestly.
I did, quite a while ago. There's an intro. Video for Heavy Weapons Guy from the game Team Fortress 2. In the video he says his mini gun shoots custom-tooled cartridges that cost $200 each, and it cost $12,000 a minute to fire his gun when operating at full speed.

My response was "no, not a chance, not ever." No military is going to buy or use a weapon like that. When you have a device that shoots lots of ammo, you use ammo that's cheap, not dear. Maybe as high as $1 apiece but more likely nearer the wholesale price of 9mm bullets, which we've established even at retail is currently 19¢ a round.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Tdarcos wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:03 am In the video he says his mini gun shoots custom-tooled cartridges that cost $200 each, and it cost $12,000 a minute to fire his gun when operating at full speed.
The military doesn't use "custom-tooled cartridges", they sign billion dollar contracts for "mass manufactured" weapons and bullets.
Tdarcos wrote: My response was "no, not a chance, not ever." No military is going to buy or use a weapon like that. When you have a device that shoots lots of ammo, you use ammo that's cheap, not dear. Maybe as high as $1 apiece but more likely nearer the wholesale price of 9mm bullets, which we've established even at retail is currently 19¢ a round.
with a yearly operating budget of $700 billion, they're not worried about the cost of bullets, hammers, or planes.