Noom Free Trial Thread

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

Noom Free Trial Thread

Post by pinback »

I gathered from their TV ads, and word-of-mouth, that it's a cognitive-behavior therapy/mindfulness-based weight loss thing. As I already came up with that idea and they stole it from me, I signed up for the 14 day free trial just to see how they're doing it.

I'll report my findings here, but the main point of this thread is to continually remind me to cancel the account before 5/15, when the free trial runs out.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

pinback

Re: Noom Free Trial Thread

Post by pinback »

So far here is my take:

It is a combination of excellent nutritional/dieting advice, mixed with a healthy dose of cognitive therapy and mindfulness exercises, programmed to encourage you at every step to continue making progress, continue logging your behavior, continue questioning what is really going on with the decisions you're making, etc. It's great! EXCEPT:

Except it's packaged in this Goofy, Jokey, Hokey, Wacky Way which I cannot imagine would appeal to anyone under the age of 70 or who has ever been on the internet before. I'll list some examples later, but it's extremely annoying and obnoxious. Don't kid around with me, don't do schtick, just, as Tom Cruise said in Magnolia, give me the information.

So I'd say, if you can stand the cornball crap, everything else is great, and you will lose weight on it, if you want to lose weight.

If you're in the weight-loss sphere, I would definitely sign up for the 14-day trial, so you can see what I'm talking about, and decide if you can take it.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Maybe I should give this a try, I keep losing and gaining the same 5 pounds. But what if I end up liking the schtick?? Will you slit my throat, the ultimate weight loss maneuver?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

What’s up with how that dude is standing in the commercial though? You know the guy standing by his kitchen counter with his feet way to close together and his arms tightly to his sides. Why the hell is he standing like that?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

odyssia76

Post by odyssia76 »

I tried it too. Did not like it at all. Pinback's reason about it being stupid and hokey is one big reason. But in addition it did not tell me anything new. Its alleged philosophical or psychological assistance is pretty dubious. I use eatthismuch.com and it works way better. You can tell it exactly what kind of way/things you want to eat, what you like and don't like, your goals etc and it will kick out meal plans with recipes for each meal automatically. You can adjust them if you want and add or remove favorite meals and how often you eat etc. Then it will kick out a grocery list and the recipes for each day. It even integrates with Instacart if you want so once you get everything set up you can plan a whole weeks healthy meals and with a few button clicks the right stuff will show up at your door. The just use the recipes and follow your meal plan and bingo you are all set. Pinback are you trying to lose weight?
128 char limit on sigs? Srsly? SO lame.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Just drink more Ben it works and you have fun in the process or at least don't remember some of the dieting.