Surfin USA

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz

Surfin USA

Post by Jizaboz »

Well, I'm about 3 weeks late but Monday morning I should get my first round of surfing in for this year. We are still in a work crunch but they can spare me a couple of hours to sneak to the beach heh-heh. Last couple of sessions last year I was still getting used to the new larger sized board. That thing takes of like a rocket easily compared to my old shortboard.

Maybe get some fishing in too. Man am I looking forward to it.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Re: Surfin USA

Post by Jizaboz »

Got to the trailer about 10:30. Other than finding some random lizard shit and a can of Sunkist soda on the floor that had rusted or burst and grew mold, everything is in order. Land lord had fixed the outside water supply valve and the AC is cooling things off. Internet works! Never really know to expect when I get here.

Now time to watch some Skinwalker Ranch off Sling DVR while I drink a few beers and then pass out on this couch. Need to get up at 9-9:30 am so I can get in the water by 10 or a little after. Tomorrow looks like the best day this week wind-wise for surfing before 1-2 pm and the next tide so I have a small window.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

What kinda wave height do you typical see where yoiu are? I never imagined east coast waves as really big surfing material, cept in a hurricane

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

AArdvark wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:50 am What kinda wave height do you typical see where yoiu are? I never imagined east coast waves as really big surfing material, cept in a hurricane
It really does depend. About 2-4 feet is a good average. However, I have seen days before hurricane or tropical storms with 7 foot + tall waves!

This is actually a big reason why I bought a "fun shape" 7 foot board. With a board of that shape it makes catching smaller waves a lot easier.

Today was a nice day! Spent an hour and a half at the beach.. about 15 minutes of which was resting. Paddled out easy to where about 3-4 other surfers were. Noone was really catching anything great, but everyone seemed to be having fun. A skinny dude on a board like mine was getting the longest rides. Learned a little bit about this style of board watching him, but I only got like 1/2 second catches here and there. Then, I realized my toe hurt and I was getting very tired so I floated back in. As I came out of the water I realized my toe is bleeding like crazy! I dunno if I cut it on a fin, a shell, or a toenail or what. Exhausted and not wanting to be shark food, I headed back to my car. The other surfers were all coming in too as the water was just getting choppier and choppier.

Highlights:

- Sun was hot, but the water was pretty damn cold! I usually surf more in the late summer all the way through fall into the first week of November. Almost forgot how cold the water is this time of year. However, after you start getting wore out you don't even feel it.

- Didn't do anything stupid or embarrassing like my leash coming undone or whatever.

- Lots of ladies on the beach and no douche bags with loud boom boxes playing awful shit. I heard one radio and it was playing reggae. Cool.

- One of the surfers in the line with me was a smiley blonde girl in a thong. Tanned butt glistening in the sun :cool:

Downside:

- Shortly after commenting last night that everything in my trailer is working well, the air conditioner tripped a breaker. The lights go dim at random and the fan winds down at the same time. Now the fan is blowing but the actual cooling mechanism won't kick in. It's 90 here, dudes. Need to replace the AC converter. I'll order one when I get home.. and it gives me an excuse to come right back after tourist week heh-heh
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Was lethargic and sore as hell today lol
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Was told power issue was actually the “shore line power cable” most likely so I went to a RV local place and got one for 50$ after being told I have to cut one end off due to the age of my trailer and cables with both ends being even more expensive.

The plan is to head out there Thursday morning and fix it.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

This morning I replaced the cable without a hitch! Power is much more clean now. However, the compressor in my AC unit is dead and now gotta buy another for 1000$. Guys are supposed to come out and install it tomorrow afternoon after I am gone and my half-sister has arrived. That’s all I can do.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Owch! A grand for just a compressor unit, how much to put in a new one? I'm thinking of the units I see on top of those big rv trailers

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

AArdvark wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:06 pm Owch! A grand for just a compressor unit, how much to put in a new one? I'm thinking of the units I see on top of those big rv trailers
Oh nah once the compressor goes in these newer Chinese-made Dometic units, all you can do is replace the entire unit. Common life-span is 6-8 years apparently for these pieces of shit if you use them a lot.

They got out there today and everything is nice and cool again.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I caught like 6-7 waves in about an hour today on my birthday and it was awesome. Rode one in on my knees just to see if I could on this newer board and had a bad wipe but otherwise nice and smooth rides, especially the last one at about 5 feet.

When I first got to the beach at 1:30 it was really calm. I had seen the waves over webcam earlier but brought my board anyway just in case. Glad I did. Went for a swim after setting my stuff under the pier (This isn’t New Jersey, so people don’t steal yr shit here) then came back for a rest by my stuff when I noticed some younger guys had taken over the area near me where a French family was.

Heard one of em say “Let’s go bro” to his friend who replies “I’m not going out in that shit.”

“Yeah you are. Let’s go”

I followed them out to the water and paddled out to the right side of the pier. Once we found a sandbar far out, we could just stand there in waist-high water waiting for waves. Caught a few little ones here.

Then, I hear someone say “Hey! Hey!” This makes no sense as I don’t know these surfers. I turn around and there is a kid maybe 15 yelling at me and the group “Go to the left side!”

One of the dudes in the line is like “We just got out here..”

Kid says “Nah just paddle under the pier to the other side”

So the 20 year old dudes follow him.. as well as me. I only debated it for a second. Breaking the law! 200$ fine! Risk of injury! Cool. Followed them over there and that was a cool experience nearly brushing a barnacle riddles pier support.

Got over to the other side and rode 3 more waves. Towards the end, one guy said “OK last one and I’m going in..” and then came the fine 5 footer! Nice drop in, slight turn, then long ass ride where I could actually “walk around” the 7 foot board while riding.

I always remember days like this!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Because it's my birthday week I had a porterhouse steak and sweet potato from Long Horn to get a break from seafood after that surf session (starving!!) and while I make excellent steaks at home.. it was pretty damn good.

Got back inland today. Cooked up some fresh seared scallops with some frozen fries out of the oven. Finishing beer 7 now (started 4 hours ago) and going to one of the biggest waterparks in the SE USA tomorrow with my ol buddy Chris shortly after I wake up in six hours.

Stoked, dudes.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Nice!

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Today was a blast man. Sure Chris had one too as he hadn't been to a water park in years. This place is local to me and I've seen it evolve a lot since the 1980s when it was known as "Aqua Gardens". Spending my or my cousin's birthday there used to a kind of a tradition for a while. Needless to say it is a lot less "Action Park" these days and there is a lot more focus on safety. I can deal with that as most of the things I can't do were for younger people anyway.

Still, I managed to nearly brain myself on the "Raging Rapids" which threw me off my tube onto scratchy patched concrete trying to get more speed. After the stun went away I managed to get back on the tube though. Hardest I've hit my head in a long time. Audible crack and everything straight to the left temple followed by moments later of messing up my words trying to say things. But, I told Chris "Yeah man hit cool but head er.." and we continued on to the "racing slide" which were new pretty neat. I get to the bottom though and realize.. I've lost my keys. For some reason I decided it was cool to leave all my shit on a random lounge chair but I had my keys in my trunks. Back to the rapids.. and thank fuck, the lifeguard pointed to them when I asked. Thank fuck for that and thank fuck she laughed when I said "Oh thank god! Thank YOU! I could kiss you!"

Other than that just a scraped up elbow. No awesome day at a waterpark is incomplete without a minor injury! Rode every single slide in the park with except to kiddie slides and the stupid "Edge" half-pipe looking thing in one of my pictures and swam in all of the pools from 10:30a to 4:20p. Rode some favorite ones including the rapids and the 80 something foot tall drop slide twice!

A new dynamic I did not like I noticed though is this thing of parents encouraging kids to get in high-thrill slides like the 80 footer. Instead of setting him aside, the staff will console the kid and the parent for.. however long it takes potentially backing up the line forever. This happened twice on 2 different slides. However, by the time I got to the 80 footer the 2nd time towards the end.. there was a party of like 8 people at the top just standing around and debating if they were going to actually do it and I got to slide down as soon as I got to the top lol

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

That place looks like a lot of fun, I bet you were really tired after that

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

AArdvark wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:55 am That place looks like a lot of fun, I bet you were really tired after that
Aint gonna lie.. I have been sleeping off and on all day lol
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

Happy belated birthday, Jizaboz!! (Yeah, I'm behind on posts.)

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

It’s been a lake out there for about 2 weeks, but now the surf is looking pretty interesting Friday and Saturday around noon both days!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Cooler air and sharks scare off tourists pretty quick lol

No sharks spotted. Ocean is still like 77 degrees yet hardly anyone out here willing to get in it because the air temp is about the same plus a cool breeze. It was just me, a dude that looked like Daniel Bryan from WWE wearing a hat, and an older dude with grey hair. A bit uncomfortable at first sure.. but once you paddle out you don’t feel it.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Neighbor at the trailer park told me he reeled in only the upper halves of 2 nice fish yesterday morning... SHARKS. I would have got out there again Saturday morning regardless if I didn't see fins or purple flags but as you see the surf was fucking garbage.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Surf season has gone to the sharks for a while. However, I did ride a kayak for the first time today..

After riding the single kayak a buddy brought (the other 4 doubled and one of the double kayaks started leaking) I think I am going to have to get one for paddling out to the little islands in the sound outside my place at Salty Shores.

The river action was fun too as someone who grew up tubing a lot but man are shallow rivers rough on a kayak if you don’t successfully dodge every large submerged rock. That is what almost threw me off a couple times too.. you bump something underneath and sometimes that shit just goes sideways quick and you have to counter balance. Kinda reminds me of sitting on a surf board with my butt or knees. Seems unstable at first but really fun once you get the balance ratio.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻