My leg hurts again.

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

My leg hurts again.

Post by pinback »

I had surgery last year to repair a "torn meniscus". After the surgery it got better and better, to the point where I was able to get back to doing 2-mile (not long but okay) walks and even the elliptical at the gym.

Last week I felt a little twinge, and I did one more walk, which was a bad choice.

Now it's bad all the time, and I have to keep taking ibuprofen and alcohol to not be in constant, searing pain.

I am hoping the grease from the smashburgers will congeal around whatever is wrong down there. Or just lop the fuckin' thing off. If Paul can make it work, I sure as shit can.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Jizaboz

Re: My leg hurts again.

Post by Jizaboz »

Sounds like you need to try to stretch more and impact less. Also, do you take glucosamine at all? All of my skateboarding friends about my age and older swear by it for their fuct up knees.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Do you feel a raw ache in your knee? When I tore my meniscus and ACL I had a memory of cold weather causing a dull, achy pain. I have distinct memories of leaving your place in Parker late at night and my knee acting up. However, after a few years it completely went away - I can honestly say that I couldn't "tell" which knee had the surgery if I didn't know.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

odyssia76

Post by odyssia76 »

Bionic leg!
128 char limit on sigs? Srsly? SO lame.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Back when I was in my wheelchair, I had serious, agonizing pain. My right knee would be in pain when I was sitting, and it would build up, and build up, and build up, and then BOOM! One lightning bolt of severe pain, at which point I had a short period of "amnesty" where it would stop hurting for a short while. When I wanted to lie down, I would have to wait "while it gets worse before it gets better." I knew I couldn't dare trying to get into bed until after it had "popped."

Eventually, I go to my doctor, to tell him about the problem. I said that I needed something for the pain, and, if all else fails, calcium cyanide. He smiled (i.e. he understood I was kidding), then recommended glucosamine chondroitin. So, I started taking it, two tablets twice daily. It was a very short period of time - less than a week and probably within a couple of days, IIRC - after I started that the pain completely stopped. Just like when I started eating a banana every day that I stopped having leg cramps.

I can't recommend glucosamine chondroitin highly enough. Try it, you've got nothing to lose but your knee pain. It ain't expensive, a 150 tablet bottle is about $27. If it doesn't work for you, it's not a lot of money.
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

Tdarcos wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:27 am glucosamine chondroitin.
Marking this thread as SOLVED.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Was the knee helped by walking around a large city all weekend, Pinner?

pinback

Post by pinback »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:52 pm Was the knee helped by walking around a large city all weekend, Pinner?
When I got there, I had to ask my family to wait for me on the walk to the hotel because every step was so painful. The next day was occasionally excruciating. Every day was full of museum walks, walks to restaurants, walks to buses and trains, walking everywhere. It was a nightmare!

Then... on the third day, things felt better.

Then on the fourth day, things felt fine.

By the time we left, I was at a 0 on the 0-10 pain meter.

So to answer your question, yes. I have no idea why. When it first started hurting, I thought it was the hammy. But as it got worse, I started to suspect it was the surgery/my knee falling apart. But the fact that it just apparently healed right up makes me think it might have been the hammy all along and it just... got better?

But I dunno.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Man if only someone was around to say that you should consult a doctor before doing all that vacationing!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

And tell us what you saw/did while you were in Kneepain Chi-town.

Sounds like a gout flare-up. Killer pain for a couple three days and gone the next

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:27 amHe smiled (i.e. he understood I was kidding)
Also I'm not sure this was the correct interpretation.