The edit-able house thread

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark

Re: The edit-able house thread

Post by AArdvark »

Update! Spent six hours installing a whole house water filter. Goddam I hate plumbing.
Sordid details when I get on a real keyboard. If anyone cares

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

So I'm pretty good at sweating pipes. That's the business with the copper piping and the propane torch and suchlike. That wasn't the issue. The problem was the threaded parts wouldn't stop leaking. I had to take that son of a bitch apart six times and re-tape the threads and it still leaked. I finally ended up using pipe dope (which the instruction sheet said NOT to use) and then it was fine. Go figure.

God I hate plumbing.

THE
THREE STOOGES
AARDVARK

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Downstairs bathroom update. The dresser/vanity is in. The olive green phone is hung. Need more wall stuff and some kind of big on/off button for the fan, preferably one that reads 'in case of fart press button' or something like that.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Dunno if it fits the room or not, but I love this idea:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/232121725/ ... itch-plate
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

AArdvark wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:36 pmImage
Don't you feel exposed sitting on that thing? It looks like you're expecting an audience when taking a shit and get applause at the end.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

You know, I saw that Frankenstein switch plate last summer but I don't have a 3-D printer, however I do have access to random aluminum bar stock and vertical machining centers, so....

Concerning the bathroom, I've never 'dropped the kids off at the pool' down there. I re-did the waste pipes and sump pump when we moved in and it ooogs me out a little knowing exactly where and how things travel. Funny, cause used beer has never been a problem.

THE
ACTIVATE MACERATOR!
AARDVARK

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I just looked at the bathroom again and realized that I need a pair of legs sticking out from the window in the upper right. It looks more like a ventilator shaft opening than a window. Howabout maybe a Bruce Willis fathead?

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Oh that's a window! I didn't know wtf it was.. some sort of shaft for evil gnomes to crawl through or something.

Also, you have a pinball machine? I didn't know you had a pinball machine.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Mark it down! March 24th. THE guy cross re street started Nielsen tractor

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

His
Lawn
Tractor

Hate touch screen typing

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Now the snow
Aardvark

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Hey Aardvark! I’d like your advice on something.

I have a leak at (I think) an old iron “square vent”. Basically, when it rains AND the wind blows a certain way there is a leak that goes from this vent cap down into my oven hood area inside.. prompting me to throw a towel over the range control of the stove underneath.

While this is a rare occasion, it sucks when it happens. I’m also at the point that I should really buy a new stove but don’t want the leak to be an issue once I do.

I went up to try to repair the existing vent cap 2 months ago or so and hit it and the surrounding seam area with roofing caulk and then later some black roofing spray like Flex Seal afterwards. A week later it rained hard and I had a bad leak again. Yet 5-7 hard rains later.. no leak! However, I have little faith in this holding up for long.

When I went to Lowe’s for a replacement this is the closest thing I could find so I bought it:

I’ve watched some YouTube videos of guys replacing these with a prybar, roofing nails, etc but I’m paranoid about ripping the old cover off and then realizing the new one doesn’t fit right.. or even worse; install the new one and the leak gets worse or persists.

The roof itself is roughly 18-20 years old. I’ve sat in the attic for about 15 minutes during a downpour watching for leaks.. never saw one and the only interior water marks I see are related to my AC unit being in the attic. I doubt the leak is coming from a loose shingle and working it’s way down to the vent but I could be mistaken.

What do you think, man? Should I just go about replacing this vent cover.. or should I perhaps call someone for a better opinion before potentially ripping a bigger hole in my roof? The replacement itself looks awfully flimsy compared to the original as well but perhaps this is just a new standard?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

AArdvark wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:24 am Now the snow
Aardvark
Quoting you to try to get your attention to above question ^^ :mrgreen:
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Sorry! My desktop is having death issues and ive been dealing with that and other life issues

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Question 1: have you ever done roofing? Its pretty straightforward but small problems can easily become big problems. Changing the vent is pretty easy cause its just readjusting the shingles and putting in more flashing then cover everything with lots of tar. Just be sure you seal the crap out of every little surface cause water will find a way.
The advantage of hiring a contractor is they get hot and filthy and you get a guarantee if itss still leaking. It can also get pricey. Im getting to that age where I will write a check and feel mild pangs of didn't-do-it-myself syndrome but not be hurting for three days.
Could the vent be positioned so the wind cant blow the water back down the duct? Or maybe just put up a wind screen on the windward side.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Question 2: why is the AC unit in the attic?

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

AArdvark wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:14 pm Question 2: why is the AC unit in the attic?
Hah well it's an old house and I could have described it better. There is an outside unit on the ground which feeds a unit in the attic that I guess you would call the "blower".

As for question 1. Honestly no. I've nailed shingles on sheds but that's about it. The more you elaborated the more I think "yeaaahh.. I'll call someone." Thank you!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Have you ever thrown someone off your roof? I'll open this question to the floor.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Does myself count?