Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Your Top Five's Top Five

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I like Man
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

I have the 2112 album and the one with the song with the AIDS friend dying for Rush. Or I did. And their greatest hits.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:53 pm I like Man
We always kinda suspected.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:54 pm I have the 2112 album and the one with the song with the AIDS friend dying for Rush. Or I did. And their greatest hits.
Oh. Well, Moving Pictures is everybody's favorite (I don't agree, but it's very good.) It starts with Tom Sawyer which is everybody's favorite song (I don't agree, but it's very good.)

Tom Sawyer is Rush's "Stairway to Heaven", except I actually like it a lot. Spirit of Radio is Rush's "Kashmir", a song that also got lots of airplay and was clearly better than the one everyone liked more.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I don't care for Tom Sawyer but it's probably because the most-listened to radio station in town played it every two hours.

I will see if they have it on their play history right now.

Ice Cream Jonsey

They played it at 12:17AM local time today. (They also played Spirit if Radio and Limelight today.) So not quite every other hour.

pinback

Post by pinback »

TOP FIVE #4: TOOL
================
5. AEnima: The title track from their best album, and one of the most perfect albums in rock history, the song is one giant middle finger to the band's hometown of Los Angeles, praying for a cataclysm to send it and its inhabitants to the bottom of the ocean. "Learn to swim", indeed. As the song progresses, depression turns to anger, which then does a 180 as Maynard turns the mirror to the audience. "Don't just call me pessimist, try to read between the lines." I'll do that, after I'm done air guitaring to this rockin' tune.

4. Invincible: After fourteen (!) years away, TOOL returned in 2019 with "Fear Inoculum", when we learned that they had... changed a bit during that time. Gone was anything resembling radio-friendly. Only six new songs were presented, the shortest one still clocking in at over ten minutes. I wasn't thrilled about this, as TOOL seemed to have decided to move dangerously close to jam band territory, while Maynard's lyrical output seemed to have slowed to a crawl. Invincible is no different, but is the best of the bunch, and is characterized by a moment in the middle where the guitar changes from a plodding, meandering riff into one singular, powerful figure that continues for the rest of the song while increasing intensity. A remarkable feat to play one riff over and over for five minutes without getting boring.

3. Right in Two: Builds from a quiet, reflective tale on man's need to divide itself, into the greatest two-note riff of all time, a thumping expression of rage, a cathartic release. Good sheet mon.

2. Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned: Just a simple story of a simple man who took a lot of drugs and got abducted by aliens. Or did he? A bewildering sonic journey, during which all of the instruments are playing complicated parts, but in different time signatures, which still manage to come together in all the right spots. Plus it's very funny. The aliens told him how the world would end, but he couldn't remember, and then laments "I forgot my pen. Shit the bed again." What poetry!

1. 46 & 2: You REALLY don't want to put the band's biggest hit in the #1 spot, but in this case it's unavoidable. The first time I heard this on the radio in the car, instead of driving straight home I drove to the record store to buy the album, and listened to nothing else for the next year. It's their best song, whaddya gonna do.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Every Tool song is the same one.

pinback

Post by pinback »

A rare miss from CO.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Sir Mix A Lot:
1) Baby Got Back
2) Testarossa
3) Swap Meet Louis
4) Buttermilk Biscuits
5) Possse On Broadway

Ice Cream Jonsey

Is he not a joke band? Like "Weird" Al?

Casual Observer

Blasphemy

pinback

Post by pinback »

A rare miss from CO.

Casual Observer

You guys have no idea.

Casual Observer

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:53 pmIs he not a joke band? Like "Weird" Al?
No. Weird Al's thing was to make joke versions of other people's songs. Sir is all original.

You guys will never understand because you don't like rap music (which is weird b/c Pinback likes Rage which is rap over metal music). Sir Mix A Lot is one of the last of the clean fun rappers. He's such a likeable guy that he's liked by all sorts of people, even those who wouldn't normally hang out with black people. I was introduced to him by my redneck friends in South Carolina on the way to the most awesome Paintball game I've ever been in. Sir raps about all the same things as other rappers but in a fun likeable way. Even when he's trying to act gangster, talking about beating up cops, the song ends with him pulling an expensive lawyer and winning the case - not so gangster as we were led to believe. I have a personal reason too, I lived in Seattle as a kid and always wanted to move back, my wife is the second girl I met who wanted to move to Seattle so it's cool that half his songs mention Seattle.

So I'll elaborate about the songs themselves.

1) Baby Got Back - Specifically this performance of it because it's a perfect example of what a fun nice inclusive guy he is:

2) Testarossa - Absolutely love how the song just accelerates throughout, rising tension but also fun and ridiculouos.

3)Swap Meet Louis - Fun sorta gangster shit, love the chorus

4) Buttermilk Biscuits - first song I ever heard from him, on the aforementioned paintball trip in South Carolina. Guessing if you heard this it's a reason you think he's like Wierd Al.

5) Posse on Broadway - This is the quintessential song about Seattle. Loved it before going back to Seattle, listened to it while driving same streets and going to Dicks'.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I never owned any of his albums, but I had this 1980s rap compilation tape with "Overweight Lover" on it I probably heard 1000x and never skipped. It was a catchy song.

Baby got Back was a bit too cheesy for me back in the day.. but man oh man did this In Loving Color skit make me laugh

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Flack

Post by Flack »

[Metallica: 1/5]

Creeping Death (Ride the Lightning)
James Hetfield reveals his Christian Scientist upbringing in this parable straight from the Bible, except in Metallica's version the story is told from the Angel of Death's perspective. Metal was wild in the 80s, and no one imagined four metalheads writing songs about the Egyptian plagues would go one to become the biggest metal band of all time. Everything Metallica does well, from intricate guitar fills to arena-filling chants can be found in this single track.

Fade to Black (Ride the Lightning)
In this bundle of depression, Hetfield sings (yes, sings) about the feeling of slipping away from life itself. The song was originally written after the band's gear was stolen, but the song stands for more than that. To this day I get choked up as the song builds toward the end and Hetfield concludes with, "death greets me warm, now I will just say goodbye."

Battery (Master of Puppets)
"Cannot kill the family, battery is found in me!" What better way to start the quintessential thrash metal album than with a riff and beat that's so fast that even when you dissect it, it's still hard as hell to play. After two minutes of blistering speed we get a breakdown, a wild solo from Hammett, and an all out thrash moment before everyone falls back into line, just like a family should. Trivia fact: despite the energy and references to electricity, the song gets its name from Battery Street in San Francisco.

The Shortest Straw (And Justice for All)
Lars' drum work is on full display here, starting with the staccato opening and even working some double bass into the verses bridge. Hammett and Hetfield remain in step through most of the track with all the mids removed from their stacks. The bass is infamously missing from the album's mix, but I'm not sure it wouldn't have overpowered the track's tight riff. Four minutes in, shit really hits the fan. As a kid I had a super rad Shortest Straw shirt with Pushead artwork on it. What metal fan in the 80s didn't feel like the shortest straw had been pulled for them?

The Small Hours (Garage Days Re-Revisited)
This song is all about tension and unease, beginning with a slow, eerie riff from Hammett that builds until Hetfield joins in with one of Metallica's most lumbering riffs. By the time Hetfield belts out "I am the chill that's in the air," the evil lyrics catch up with the music. Halfway through the song, Hetfield delivers a galloping riff and the band is off to the races for a good chunk before hitting a wall, dropping them tempo in half, and returning to the song's roots. Even Jason makes a showing here on bass, which is nice. Technically this is a cover of an unknown song by Holocaust, but by the time Metallica gets done with it you would never know. Shortly after getting my first electric guitar, this song taught me two things: that simple doesn't always mean easy, and that guitars can be tuned lower than E.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

That's bold, not putting MoP or One on there.

Flack

Post by Flack »

MoP is top 10 for sure. One is great but I've heard it so many times it's better if you skip the first 5 minutes and get right to the rockin'.

Flack

Post by Flack »

[Faith No More: 2/5]

The Real Thing (The Real Thing)
FNM's breakthrough album (and the first one with Mike Patton on vocals) will always be remembered for "Epic," "Falling to Pieces," and "From Out of Nowhere," but there's only so many times you can listen to those songs. "The Real Thing," which kicks off the album's B-side, still stands up. Every members shows up here -- Puffy's drums, bass slides, from Gould, galloping guitars from Mr. Jim Martin, heavy keyboards from Roddy Bottum, and of course a combination of whispering, singing, and screaming from the one and only Mike Patton. One of the band's buried gems.

Midlife Crisis (Angel Dust)
If The Real Thing was the album that turned Faith no More into media and MTV starlings, Angel Dust was intentionally designed to do the opposite. Not only is the album an eclectic collection of songs, but nothing on the second album sounds like anything from the first. If there was one song that served as a gateway between the band's previous material and this new batch of challenging but infinitely interesting songs, it was this one. Again it's Patton's range over the simple beat that ultimately grows into something great.

Digging the Grave (King for a Day)
With guitarist Jim Martin fired and keyboardist Roddy Bottum chasing a heroin addiction, King for a Day was at the time the least FNM-sounding FNM album to date -- heavy on the rock and less experimental -- and quickly became my favorite release from the band. "Digging the Grave" is for the most part a straight-up rock song that retains the soul of the band partially in thanks to Puffy's pounding drums during the chorus.

The Gentle Art of Making Enemies (King for a Day)
This song feels like a quilt of awesome but unrelated riffs somehow sewn together in a way that makes sense. The band shows yet again they've mastered the art of quiet/loud/quiet which gentle verses and choruses that contain both singing and screaming. Any song that contains the phrase "happy birthday, fucker!" is worth at least some recognition.

Last Cup of Sorrow (Album of the Year)
King for a Day's "Take this Bottle" is a fantastic but ultimately sappy bar sing-a-long that's wonderful, but too depressing to listen on repeat. In "Last Cup of Sorrow," the band captures the same sentiment but changes the mood from sad to offer just a little bit of hope intertwined within the angst. "It's your last cup of sorrow, what can you say? finish it today / It's your last cup of sorrow, so think of me, and get on your way!" Faith No More, giving us the hope we all needed in 2022.