Nuggets vs Laker

Sports & Music

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Nuggets vs Laker

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I do not believe that the NBA will let the Nuggets advance to the finals.

They are up 2-0 though.

I saw two highlights on ESPN. Goaltending and then a pair of embarrassing flops on the part of LeBron against Jokic and then Jokic against LeBron.

Don't flop guys.

Don't.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Re: Nuggets vs Laker

Post by Flack »

I didn't start an NBA 2022/2023 thread because nobody but BryanB really cares, but it's been a strange season. The Lakers/GSW series was very strange as the teams alternated beating each other by 20+ points. Just blowout after blowout. LeBron's flop last night was even funnier in slow motion... it was like a scene from a Marvel film where the Joker brushed against him and used his super power to fling the King of Flops halfways across the court. And right after that, Jokic flopped on the next two plays until he was able to get a foul called on James... if it had been a movie, Jokic would have whispered into James' ear, "are we gonna flop, or are we gonna play?" Maybe it's just me but this year more than ever it seemed like teams slept their way through the regular season and didn't really start playing until the playoffs. I know that's an old cliche but I watched so many games this season that were boring and it wasn't until the playoffs where everybody woke up. There are so many great players in the league right now that the playoffs have been a series of superstar vs. superstar. We're rooting for the Nuggets to go all the way in this house!
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Maybe it's just me but this year more than ever it seemed like teams slept their way through the regular season and didn't really start playing until the playoffs.
I am all for being able to compare stats through eras, but you can really only do that in baseball, I think. I read something about how they made some changes to the schedule and figured out a way to make some teams play even more games, and they have a mini in season tourney or something. Maybe it's just my age but I have really started looking at how things would be if we didn't live in a society that was so achingly desperate to extract every last possible buck out of something. Your IFTTT article is another good example (although I'd blame them for charging, when they are charged because of that stupid slave mine failson, but still).

I have not watched a full Nuggets game or anything. But I've seen highlights. Jokic must have a deranged horror movie serial killer vibe to him where he just does not let up and puts up these 35/20/10 games. As corny as LeBron and Kobe are and were, they absolutely did things where you shake your head at the skill, talent and athleticism. I respect that Jokic is a two time MVP and perhaps he does have similar highlights where you MARVEL. I hope he gets a ring.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Jokic's biggest problem is LeBron James looks like a feakish characature of a basketball player with muscles and long arms and that intense stare, and Jokic looks like some doughy farmhand that took a break from driving a tractor pf bailing hay to show up and play in the NBA. He doesn't do a lot of pointing and shouting and flailing -- for an MVP, he's not very animated. Now that you mention it, he may be the Michael Myers of the NBA. Hell, he may be Michael Myers.

Flack

Post by Flack »

With an all-star packed league, if you had told me we were headed for a Nuggets vs. Heat showdown in the finals I would not have believed you. As of last night, both teams are 3-0 in their prospective conference finals. Surprisingly, there has never been a dual sweep in the finals in the history of the NBA. That's good news for the Celtics and the Lakers! The bad news is of course no team has ever come back from an 0-3 deficit.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

Post by Flack »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:51 pm I do not believe that the NBA will let the Nuggets advance to the finals.
Someone forgot to tell the league!

I was unsure if the title of the thread was a typo or a funny joke until last night. LeBron scored 31 points in the first half while the rest of the Lakers watched LeBron score 31 points in the first half. I honestly do not know what's up with Anthony Davis -- it's like he was was sitting at home one night and realized he could earn the same salary by only trying in 50% of his games. Every other game the announcers talk about him being the best in the league, and on those other games he stands around, doesn't get back on defense, sometimes doesn't get back on offense, doesn't rebound... like, it's more than just being gassed, it's like mentally he is checked the f out.

In a weird way, I kind of like the fact that LeBron doesn't stick around and shake hands after the game. In game three when there was like 10 seconds left on the clock, James was already on his way to the locker room. Like, he is not a guy who is there to make friends. He was super mad at the end of the game, and should have been. Sometimes I think about that when watching MMA fights. If I ever knocked someone out I would not be the guy who ran around celebrating and then got down and talked to the dude on the mat and holding his hand up to the crowd. If I knocked a guy out I would just stand over them with my head cocked like Michael Myers for an uncomfortably long time, admiring my work. Maybe LeBron can get a boxing match with Logan Paul next year. That would probably be easier than replacing every Laker.

Ice Cream Jonsey

It was a typo but I did not need to really fix it!

Jokic's shot in that streamable video is the least athletic super-athletic thing I've ever seen. It looked like he was throwing a waterlogged corpse with an chunky dumper off a cruise ship. What a guy. That's someone you can root for.

My brother in law and my nephew Miles will be there for game 1. I'm not sure how it works though. If Boston wins the series then game 1 is in Boston and I'd like to think that StubHub will just make their tickets work for game 3. If the Heat close it out, it's here.

Ahhhh who am I kidding? This is a WEB APP COMPANY. Is there any industry more customer focused, any industry that cares more about the consumer experience, any industry more prone to smoothing over irregularities?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Oh. Not shaking hands is this whole other thing. Lemme think about that.

Ice Cream Jonsey

The NBA could have rigged shit to have another Lakers vs Celtics final. They did not rig it that way. David Stern is dead. I am prepared to give the NBA another chance.

Ice Cream Jonsey

This has been a good game so far.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Pitting the 1st seed and the 8th seed against each other is a tough sell.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I've given them another chance.

We're healing.

Ice Cream Jonsey

The Denver Nuggets are your 2023 NBA Champions!

However.

There was a call toward the end of the game where a Heat player took a three point shot, was untouched, accidentally struck a Nugget player in the dick and fell on the floor. A foul was called. I was not aware there was a challenge system in the NBA! Well, clearly it would be overturned.

But! It wasn't!!

The Heat guy hit three free throws.

This was nice but I don't need another fixed league to go with the NFL. It was wonderful seeing the Nuggets win it all. The NBA had a chance to let everyone know that they weren't going to influence things to keep a series tight. There is no difference between what happened last night and the Kings/Lakers series, it's just that the Nuggets were good enough to win anyway.

It didn't have to be this way, but capitalism ruins everything, sports included. I am laughing at the fact that the league humiliated itself and didn't get a game 6 regardless.

Goodbye forever, NBA. I will never, ever give you a third chance.

Flack

Post by Flack »

It was a terrible call, and I will be boycotting NBA games for the next four months.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

I was watching Cavs vs Warriors and I remembered this thread when Draymond got ejected. The refs are a fucking joke.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I should start a new thread. Maybe we'll start a new thread. This is a Nugget but NOT versus a Laker.

Goddamn he's fucken amazing. A top 20 all time player plays a few towns away and this doesn't always happen and is incredible. What a dude.

Ice Cream Jonsey

RealNC wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:57 pm I was watching Cavs vs Warriors and I remembered this thread when Draymond got ejected. The refs are a fucking joke.
Isn't Draymond the guy that got suspended for being an asshole? I don't think I've ever seen that before. The league stepping in to say he can't play because he's too much of a jerk. hahah.