Is the NFL really fixed?

Sports & Music

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

Re: Is the NFL really fixed?

Post by pinback »

All the sports have these problems. In the NHL, the penalties are called so they get as close to evening out by the end of the game as possible. That's annoying. If one team gets two power plays in a row, there is a one million percent chance that the other team will get the next one.

However, the problems are not nearly as glaring as in the NFL, where every weekend, during every game, and likely more than twice, there will be a call/non-call which is so outrageously wrong/against the rules that the only two conclusions are that they continually hire the most confused, worst officials they can find, or that the fix is in, not necessarily to ensure one side wins, but to make it as exciting/marketable as possible.

Probably a little from column A, a little from column B. It's really ridiculous.

It's gotten so bad that I absolutely refuse to watch any NFL games until next Saturday.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I guess it is really only a game after all. But if there were these kinds of problems in a parcheesi tournament they would do something about it.

THE
BOARD GAME
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

All the games this weekend were within one score, except one. Where the Seahawks beat a team coming from the worst division in football by 12. On the road.

The refs not giving the Bills that extra touchdown because the dumb Texans player returning kicks didn't know he had to kneel to mark himself down would have made it 27-0 Buffalo. OH MY GOD PEOPLE MAY NOT TUNE IN as if there's literally anything else going on in sports.

There is a video out there from the 80s of the Rams kicking to the morons on the Saints at the time and the Saints never bothering to down the ball. Dude for the Rams picks the ball up and runs for a touchdown. Hahaha Saints, you dummies. Virtually the same shit happens this last weekend and refs are coming out of the stands to keep the games close.

It's like Goodell got yelled at by people buying ad time at the end of games and his solution to this wasn't to correct some of the dumb glaring shit that is going wrong with the league, which is:

- The NFL can't develop a quarterback
- Except for maybe three teams, the NFL can't develop offensive linemen
- Because of these two things, when a quarterback gets hurt and a backup comes in, in most cases the new quarterback is as awkward as a baby giraffe

That's the shit the NFL should be working to fix. But instead they are fixing the games ha ha I made a funny.

(Pinback is right about the NHL. My dad complained to me in the 80s that a penalty at the beginning of the game in hockey may not be a penalty at the end. The makeup calls for power plays is also bad.)

I don't know why nobody running these leagues looks at the kind of people that give up wrestling when they are 12 and think "man, better not go that route."
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:49 am It's like Goodell got yelled at by people buying ad time at the end of games and his solution to this wasn't to correct some of the dumb glaring shit that is going wrong with the league, which is:

- The NFL can't develop a quarterback
- Except for maybe three teams, the NFL can't develop offensive linemen
- Because of these two things, when a quarterback gets hurt and a backup comes in, in most cases the new quarterback is as awkward as a baby giraffe
The NFL cannot do anything, develop anything, or improve football players. Depending on what you want to call it, the NFL is
* a cartel
* a street gang
* a partnership
* a membership organization
* a franchising agency.

Remember why Jules doesn't have that racist sign on his garage in Pulp Fiction? It's for the same reason the NFL doesn't develop football players, "because developing football players ain't its fuckin' business!"

The NFL is a membership organization whose businesses are
* the franchising of member football teams to certain specific geographic areas
* licensing of NFL trademarks including its name, shield, and the phrase "Super Bowl"
* sale of national broadcast rights to the performance of contests between its members (individual teams may have control over local broadcast rights)
* other ancillary revenues
* after expenses, paying individual members pro-rata shares of all of the above revenues

Development of talent is the responsibility of individual member teams. Since revenues are parceled out on an equitable basis (after expenses. each team receives 1/32 of NFL revenues) there is no penalty for bad or inadequate performance, and no reward for good or exceptional performance. While it may sound crazy to say it, the NFL is the perfect example of communism in action.
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

You saying the NFL are commies?

pinback

Post by pinback »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:28 pmHow is anyone else putting up with this unless you're in Baltimore, I don't know.
They are also not putting up with this anymore.

Flack

Post by Flack »

The real question is, will Baltimore be putting up with it in the future?

Raven: "Nevermore."

Well then.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Because there is no alternative, I read the headlines on the reddit forum for the NFL. It's everything a reasonable person hates about internet forums - dumb shit posters, awful mods, brain dead conversation and they (of course!) do the whole thing where they will ban people because idiots are calling each other names on the Internet, which is the dumbest thing in the world. Mods on reddit do that, I am convinced, because their fathers walked out and this gives them a modicum of control over their environment.

So with Baltimore losing, they are now in the dog house and there will be a week of posts by redditors where they find tweets about how awful Baltimore is.

I really want to make a kind of web application that gives me NFL news (and maybe one for baseball and hockey and PC games) that does something like lay out tweets from NFL insiders. We'd have to ban certain words because I don't give a fuck about the politics of any sportswriter and most of them have to make sure they let us know how woke they are. Retweets would need to be on or off on a per-person basis. Most guys can't handle retweets. I think Flack and Greg are the two people left on my normal Twitter feed with retweet access.

Anyway, something to consider for me the next time I get the desire to make a new sort of web portal. App. Page. Etc.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I don't want to sidetrack this, but there are a few free sites out there that will generate RSS feeds from Twitter accounts. You could, in theory, generate several of those (along with RSS feeds from news sites using NFL keywords) and funnel them into one target -- could be an RSS reader, could be a forum (there are phpBB plug-ins that will import RSS feeds into posts), could be a mailing list, could be a website. The world is your oyster, which is good news for everybody except Kylie Minogue.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

This is the perfect response to the COVID/NFL thing.

I love Terron Armstead. Expresses his disappointment but isn't one of those lunatics stated that it's not REAL.

For the exact opposite, check out Adam Carolla's feed:

His ENTIRE feed is "Get it on" and the above sentiment ("do what they tell you") a thousand times. Adam Carolla is one of my very few comedic heroes, but I guess we always knew he was kind of a fucking idiot.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I signed up for a site that featured writers who write about the Saints. I was accessing the site via my phone just fine after subscribing. Tried to login through my desktop browser last night and got:

Tweeted the site about it last night. It's now 2:15PM in New Orleans and not a word and the website account is out there retweetin' people on Twitter. Soooooooooo I think we're good, I hit the cancel subscription button. It's a little scary that web infrastructure could get to the point where they are mis-identifying paying customers trying to login and there was no notification about it to anyone at any point passing 12 hours later.

Ice Cream Jonsey

The NFL fined the Saints (and Bengals) $350,000 and also coaches and players for "faking" injuries at the end of the game.

Which is enough to be outraged over if I cared any longer, because here is another example of that piece of garbage Goodell singling the Saints out for something everyone did. ONLY.

Our guy that was hurt at the end of the Saints / Bucs game, Cameron Jordan, had an MRI and there is/was damage to his leg. OPE. Get fucked, Goodell.

Ice Cream Jonsey

The Saints played on Christmas Eve. It was a Saturday. One thing I really can't stand about the NFL is their rapid expansion to having games on pretty much constantly. Growing up it was (east coast times) - Sunday at 1PM. Sunday at 4PM. Monday at ... whatever time it was. 8PM? 9PM?

The Sunday night game was fine. The playoff games taking over Saturdays and Sundays made sense. But now...

Two Monday Night games at the same time, basically, to start the season.
Thursday Night Football, which is awful, awful football.
Random start times. The constant Europe games could take place alongside everything else, but why not have your American fans get up at 7AM on a Sunday, since you're a piece of shit league anyway?
I guess I knew that the NFL takes Saturdays over when college football stops playing, but it always seems weird.
The last thing that comes to mind is that last year or the year before, when I was watching, they did a thing where the times on Sunday that the Saints played late all started at like 4:35... with one exception where it started at 4:05.

Anyway, yesterday was the first time in my life since I started following the Saints at age 10 when I wasn't really aware of when they were playing, and I was surprised to find out they had played that day.

The reasoning is not new - 1. The commissioner has done everything possible to be a vile snake that has ruined the sport. 2. The instant reply reviews mean you can't enjoy football in the moment. Nothing is "real" until it is reviewed. It was nice to see a guy jump a pass and pick it off and run for a TD before replay. There is now a delayed reaction to that. 3. The fixed game in 2018 with the Saints. 4. The constant use of penalties to keep the games close and the obvious nature that the refs have been instructed to keep the games close. The NFL didn't just suddenly get magically competitive from a roster standpoint. It's obvious.

Some stupid NFL account tweeted out something dumb recently. They said that something like 7 games "came down to the last possession". Well, no shit. No shit it did, you're obviously intentionally telling the refs to keep the games close. Then your Twitter accounts are going GEE WOW HOW COMPETITIVE!

Meanwhile, hockey has been amazing. You know how long the games will be, they start at roughly the same time per time zone and because there is no tradition to only having the games on certain days of the week, I more or less check for the next few Sabres games. I'm ok being a hockey and baseball guy for the rest of my life.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

When reviewed replays started creeping into baseball I knew the entire sports world was doomed to be a whore for television. The NFL is making too much money via television to stay honest. The day the sport tells TV that the game will not change to accommodate commercials or replay judgements is the day the sport became honest.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Hockey UNABASHEDLY calls penalties to try to even up the number of power plays. Nobody even denies it. J'ACCUSE!!!!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

It's true. The refs don't want the fans dumping beers on them if they look too one-sided. Even if the penalties are right and just.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:12 am ... I knew the entire sports world was doomed to be a whore for television.
When in, oh say, the last 50 years have sports teams not been whores for television?
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:11 am The NFL cannot do anything, develop anything, or improve football players. Depending on what you want to call it, the NFL is
This was from two years ago, so I apologize for bringing it up. This is not correct but what else is new.

Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:12 am When reviewed replays started creeping into baseball I knew the entire sports world was doomed to be a whore for television.
The replay system in baseball is {i]so bad[/i].

All anyone wanted was a way to correct glaring errors, like the Galarraga kid losing out on his perfect game because the blind ref fucked up the biggest call of his career. That was it.

Now it's micro-analysis to see is a runner "came off the base" for a split nanosecond while the tag was on. Stupid, stupid, stupid and anyone competent in the commissioner's office would have corrected this. I don't know how the fans of other sports feel about things. NHL's commish has been there for most of my adult life. He was usually considered the worst of the four two to causing multiple labor disputes, causing the loss of an entire season, allowing multiple franchise moves, being too much of a pussy to put the teams back on for the Dallas/Buffalo no goal game. But he hasn't done anything egregious in 10 years, he's rocketed ahead of Goodell (worst commish of any sport in my lifetime but also the single most incompetent American worker in the entirety of our nation's history) and Manfred (a guy who should be doing a better job in baseball).

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Jonsey, please give me back my YouTube inlining privileges

"These NFL Players Believe Their Super Bowls were Rigged. Why?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpeKAkTyvfU
- J.R.R. Tolkien