The Nine Lives of Ozzy Osbourne (A&E)

Sports & Music

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

The Nine Lives of Ozzy Osbourne (A&E)

Post by Flack »

Last week A&E rolled out The Nine Lives of Ozzy Osbourne, a two-hour fluff piece looking back at the life and career of the Prince of Darkness himself, Mr. John "Ozzy" Osbourne.

If you are a fan of Black Sabbath or Ozzy Osbourne then it is unlikely you'll learn much in this new biography. John Osbourne grew up poor in England. He hated school, hated work, and quickly learned he hated jail. What he did like was music, and shortly after buying his own PA system, Ozzy was recruited by Tommy Iommi, Bill Ward, and Geezer Butler to form Black Sabbath. In reality that's not exactly how it happened, but this documentary moves too quickly to worry about details.

If you watched MTV throughout the 80s, you know most of what's to come. Ozzy gets kicked out of Black Sabbath for excessive alcohol and drug abuse, meets Randy Rhodes, and releases back to back gold records ("Blizzard of Oz" and "Diary of a Madman") before Rhodes was tragically killed in an airplane accident. He then goes on tour, then retires, then goes on another tour, and retires yet again, all while getting sober and relapsing about a hundred times. In the middle of all this, Ozzy bites the head off a dove, bites the head off a bat, snorts a line of ants, gets arrested for pissing on the Alamo while wearing a dress, and is charged for attempted murder after choking his wife. Rock and Roll!

Eventually the documentary gets to the Osbournes (the family's reality television show) before sailing through Sharon's colon cancer and Ozzy's ATV accident that nearly killed him. There's also mention of Ozzy being diagnosed both with MS and Parkinson's. Things are wrapped up with quotes from his kids on how they would like their father to remembered, followed by half a dozen rock stars singing the evil one's praises.

The Nine Lives of Ozzy Osbourne is a cool whip rendition of Ozzy's career -- suitable for showing your kid/niece/nephew as a crash course in Ozzy Osbourne, although perhaps a copy of Blizzard of Oz would do just as well.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Tdarcos

Re: The Nine Lives of Ozzy Osbourne (A&E)

Post by Tdarcos »

"History is written by the victors" - Unknown

"Expect someone's autobiography to portray them in a positive light. Every person is the hero of their own story." - Me

Want to bet that Osbourne was "executive producer" of this program, or had a significant role in its making?
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Flack

Post by Flack »

Tdarcos wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:53 am Every person is the hero of their own story." - Me
That quote is at least 50 years old, and variations of it have been floating around for at least 200 years.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I could never figure out why Ozzy talks like he has Parkinson's but can sing quite well. I mean, apart from the drugs.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:30 pm
Tdarcos wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:53 am Every person is the hero of their own story." - Me
That quote is at least 50 years old, and variations of it have been floating around for at least 200 years.
I was referring to both statements together. I know the second sentence by itself is very common.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

pinback

Post by pinback »

I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

This coming from the guy who stole my tagline.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Flack

Post by Flack »

Well you know what they say, "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." -Me

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:02 am Well you know what they say, "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." -Me
But what do they say about pure plagiarism?
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Flack

Post by Flack »

Sometimes they say, "I was referring to both statements together. I know the second sentence by itself is very common."