I think Drama might be the best Yes album

Sports & Music

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

I think Drama might be the best Yes album

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I know nobody here gives a shit. I always avoided listening to Drama because Trevor Horn sang on it and Jon Anderson didn't and how could it be Yes without Jon Anderson, but GEEZEN CRACKERS this is a good album.

I had heard Tempus Fugit before and it's a fine track, but its particular spot on this album is amazing, the entire thing leads to something, leads to it. Does It Really Happen? is a really good song but I bring it up because it may be the "tightest" Yes song in terms of them all being on the same page and playing something that they all participate in. By that I mean - Yes is one of those bands where a zillion people have been in the band. I always got the feeling that after the lineup started changing, all of them wanted to do their own thing. You had Trevor Rabin singing backup vocals and Trevor Rabin is incredibly talented and had his own pretty-great-from-what-little-I've hard band and I don't know. He blended as well with Anderson as anyone could. Maybe I'm saying this wrong? I never heard a Steve Howe solo that didn't come off like an alien traveled seventy light years and then got off his UFO and floated down to the studio and joined Yes and played. Good solos, and I like everything I have ever heard from Steve Howe, but sometimes a little "on their own"? This happens everywhere with Steve How except on this album.

But none of this is on Drama. Squire's backup vocals blend better with Trevor Horn than anyone else who has sung on a Yes song in my opinion.

Into the Lens (I Am a Camera) could only have been created in like one specific time of the 70s. I get that this was released in 1979 and to me it's the ultimate "this is how weird things got in the 70s" music production. Into The Lens (I Am a Camera) is three minutes, 45 seconds long but it feels like one of their longer songs. It's filled with lyrical lunacy. I have no idea what the Christ they are talking about. I don't know what anyone in the 70s was talking about, especially the first 5 years before me.

Run Through The Light might be the most beautiful song I've heard in years. Decades. I have these dreams about making one last recording with my band and what Geoff Downes did in this song made me simultaneously want to throw out my keyboard and also plug it in and get to work.

I am not going to inline and tracks or anything because I know you guys hate this music. But this is a hidden gem in my opinion.

I can't get over how "I don't give a shit" Trevor Horn sounds on this thing. He's a goddamn inspiration, he just joined one of the biggest rock bands of all time to replaced the singer who had his own unique sound in rock and made it his own. (And then left to go produce music.)

(And I just looked it up and apparently Steve Howe wrote Run Through the Light and the version of it that I am listening to, that I love, is one of the least guitar-centric Yes songs ever. I would have bet anything that Horn or Downes wrote it, but there ya go.)
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Jizaboz

Re: I think Drama might be the best Yes album

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:19 pm I know nobody here gives a shit.
Nope, this is actually the only album from Yes that I have heard songs on that I enjoyed! The intro especially invokes the same sort of notes as the modern Arctic Thunder album by Darkthrone, a "black metal" (sort of) band from Norway I think I have mentioned before. There is really nothing on this album that makes you want to change the channel.

The 70s were a glorious time in some ways and I am glad a few of us were born in them.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Thanks, Jiz. I have to fix the formatting of my post. Also, funnily enough, this lineup of Yes disbanded after they all got eaten by bears.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Fuck it

pinback

Post by pinback »

Mina came into the room when this was playing and immediately cried out and covered her ears.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:59 pm Mina came into the room when this was playing and immediately cried out and covered her ears.
Geoff Downes was literally in a band called Asia. I don't know what else the man can do to capture the interest of your daughter.

odyssia76

Post by odyssia76 »

My favorite is Tales From Topographic Oceans. Super underrated. I bet it never got famous because it is a double album with only 4 songs so it never got played on the radio. But it's amazing. If you have not heard it I strongly suggest it.
128 char limit on sigs? Srsly? SO lame.