Who would you like to see win their first title.

Sports & Music

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

msherwin

Who would you like to see win their first title.

Post by msherwin »

Which teams in each of the 4 "Major" sports would like to see win a title that hasn't. If a team won one in another city or won their last one when teams took trains and players had colorful nicknames like "Ducky", "Hoss" or "Whooping Cough Wally" you can include them too. Also inculde a pick for who you never want to win one if you wish

Today!!!! The NFL
The Bills are the easy pick. Love em or hate em, if this team had won just one it would have changed the course of history for bitter souls like Thurman Thomas and Andre Reed. They desrved one title but seemed to have a key fumble or 5 at the worst time. Their fans, while typicaly vile, sat through the entire 80's watching the equivelent of a J.V. team only to watch the Bills come ever so close four times in the 90's.

My anti title is the Denver Broncos. The smug sons of bitches out here won two Super Bowls in the last five years and all they do is bitch. These "fans" also constantly talk about their Hockey team "choking" "blowing it" "and always losing the big one". AND THEY WON THE GODDAMN STANLEY CUP LAST YEAR! Worst fans ever!

Staurday- Major League Baseball.

gsdgsd

Post by gsdgsd »

Colorado fans just have high expectations.

My pick for winning their first title is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. A win would put to rest all the bad history ... the 0-26 start, the bizarre uniforms, the ridiculous trades. And -- it'd make me really happy.

Anti-pick? Probably the San Francisco 49ers, because I got so sick of hearing about their dominance when I was growing up.

Greg

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Baseball -- Padres while Gwynn was there, definitely. Now I'm not so sure.

Hockey -- Well, it would have been the Hartford Whalers but they became the Hurricanes. I guess I am still rooting for them anyway.

Basketball -- Pacers, but Jesus, when you make Isiah Thomas your coach you DESERVE what you get.

Football -- New Orleans Saints

Anti-pick: The San Francisco 49ers: They have, by and large, the dumest fanbase of any team any where. They cap-cheated their way into their 95 win and have Chris Berman as their official apologist / hose polisher. I hate them and everything they stand for.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Eric

Post by Eric »

Baseball:

I guess all the original baseball teams have won. It is kind of hard to feel sorry for recent expansion teams like Tampa Bay or Colorado which have never won but which haven't suffered anywhere near as long as established franchises which did win, long long ago, like the Cubbies and Red Sox. (I wonder, is there anyone alive who remembers the Cubs winning?) And, of course, recent expansion teams like Florida and Arizona have won.

It is frightening to contemplate, however, that Houston is an expansion franchise that has been around for forty years, all in one place too, so I might lean toward the poor Astros - even unlucky in their choice of sponsors. But I can't remember much about that team. Maybe the Astrodome deflated any hitters but where then were all the great Houston pitchers taking advantage?

My vote goes to Seattle. They had an excellent team in the nineties and have kissed three probable Hall of Famers goodbye and still kept winning. I would have preferred they beat out the Yanks last year rather than Arizona - but you have to admit, the strategy of putting two great pitchers in the rotation and hoping to get to the postseason where they'd be pitching about half the time was a stroke of genius.

Here's a depressing thought -- with thirty teams, even if every team took a turn winning, that means a team only gets to win every thirty years. So there are a lot of fans who are going to live and die without seeing their team winning, seems to me.

Eric

Post by Eric »

OOPS! Jumped the gun. Baseball is TODAY.

So, as for football, to be totally assbackwards -- yeah, the Bills deserve a win. When I lived in Rochester, for many years, I followed the Bills pretty closely, all through those failed Superbowls. At least at the skill positions they had a great cast -- hard to believe they never won.

And they just looked outclassed except for their first Superbowl. I wonder, if Norwood had hit that field goal and they'd won, would they have had more confidence or something, maybe been better in subsequent appearances?

gsdgsd

Post by gsdgsd »

For baseball, I'd have to say the Astros ... I like the Mariners, and I might have said the Rangers until they became Team Weirdness in recent years. But I have really fond memories of the exciting Astros teams of the late '70s/early '80s, so in the name of Cesar Cedeno and Terry Puhl, I'll go with them.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Eric wrote:And they just looked outclassed except for their first Superbowl. I wonder, if Norwood had hit that field goal and they'd won, would they have had more confidence or something, maybe been better in subsequent appearances?
I've always thought that they could have pulled the fourth one out if they won the first one. The "here we go again" factor was just too much for #4 (and they were leading at half-time).

I think the Redskins and the first Cowboys game just had them out-matched, though. Dunno if they could have done much in those cases.

Da King

Post by Da King »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Hockey -- Well, it would have been the Hartford Whalers but they became the Hurricanes. I guess I am still rooting for them anyway.
Dude. That is just BAD FOR HOCKEY if the 'Canes even GO to the finals, much less win the 'Cup. NOBODY likes the Hurricanes (c'mon... I think there are more Toronto fans at the games in Carolina than there are Carolina fans!). They only make the playoffs because they play in hockey's worst division. They just plain outright SUCK.

At least when Minnesota went to the Cup finals as an 8 seed back in... what... the late 80s sometime... people rooted for them. NOBODY will be rooting for Carolina, as nobody will even be watching the series.

Please, PLEASE, let Toronto make the finals, and not Carolina.

Oh yeah... and let Colorado take out Detroit. ;)

Ice Cream Jonsey

I was under the impression that the Carolina Hurricanes were drawing really good crowds this season. Certainly, the Charlotte Hornets and the Carolina Panthers have not been (for the norm in their respective sports). Understandable -- the owner of the Hornets is a piece of crap and the Panthers had a 15 game losing streak.

If I'm wrong about how they've been supporting the Canes then fair enough, but I did think they were selling that place out as of late.

However, I can absolutely not root for the Maple Leafs. For a team that hasn't won shit in 30 years, their fans infect EVERY frigging newsgroup after every game -- playoff, regular season, exhibition, or friendly match on the Sega -- that they happen to win. You'd think that team had posted six or seven banners in the last ten years. I hate their on-line fans and everything they stand for. I can't say that they are "dumb" like Niner fan. No, instead, they are like cock-roaches. GO CANES.

gsdgsd

Post by gsdgsd »

Before the playoffs started, it would've been an easy choice for me; I'd like to see a Canadian team make it to the Cup. But this playoff year, the Leafs haven't just been the biggest collection of cheap-shotters around, but with Roberts, Corson, Tucker, and Joseph, they whine more than any team since the mid-90s Blackhawks.

Of course, it's all academic. If the Avs (representing the forces of good) come out of the West -- then I cheer against the Hurricanes or Leafs. If the Red Wings (representing the forces of suck) come out -- Go Canes or Leafs!

Greg

Da King

Post by Da King »

The Hurricanes had more pathetic crowds again this year. Admittedly, they're at least selling out playoff games, so thats decent. But I swear there were some games where the Amerks drew more than the 'Canes. And thats just plain embarrassing.

Considering that the Leafs are contending for the East while missing up to 8 of their starters (including 3 of their top 4 scorers)... I have to give them props for playing hard.

And a Canadian team NEEDS to make the finals.

A Detroit / Toronto final would be a great "Original Six" matchup.

A Colorado / Toronto final would be my preference. At least Toronto can play a physical game with a Western team.

Carolina / Anyone will just draw horrible ratings for the most one-sided sweep in Stanley Cup history. Blech.

msherwin

Post by msherwin »

To steal from ESPN 's The Sports Guy, the only thing that could get me to watch the Stanley Cup Finals,is if the following exhchage occured

Steve Levy:"Well Brent, the Red Wings and Toronto look poised for overtime here in Game 3 with only 20 secon.....WAIT- WHAT IN GODS NAME IS CHELIOS DOING, he's going the wrong way, he shoots on Hasek and SCORES, he's taking off his jersey, HE'S GOT A MAPLE LEAFS JERSEY ON UNDERNEATH THERE BRENT. THE HORROR!!!
Brent Mustberger: Steve what is that in the distance??

Steve: No it can't be Brent! Is that BOB PROBERT coming down the ailse, what is he hiding behind his back? Is he even allowed in Canada? Sundin doesn't see him and Hull is busy distracting the Ref, look out MATS for the LOVE of GOD turn around MATS, it's too late , PROBERT just hit him with "The Brass Knuckles" and now has him in the walls of Jericho...

you get the picture, and I don't even care for hockey or wrestling, but together it would be the height of comedy.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Lindros turning "heel" on the Rangers and revealing a Philadelphia Flyers jersey underneath would be the only way the exchange between him, his old man, and Bobby Clarke could ever be logically and rationally explained away.

Correction: a reality where the old Fantastic Four villian "Psycho-Man" existed, along with his push-button "Fear," "Doubt," and "Hate"-inducing machine would also explain the behavior of that lot.