Flyers set a record for playoff hockey futility

Sports & Music

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Flyers set a record for playoff hockey futility

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

4 goals in 5 games. Nobody's ever scored just four goals in a playoff series no matter how long it went before.

I had to laugh when Cechmanek screamed down those pieces of crap in front of him in game four, though. Finally... FINALLY goaltending was not a problem in Philly. (OK, it wasn't when Boucher took the team to the eastern finals a while back, but beyond that you'd be hard-pressed to find a Flyers team of late that wasn't extremely soft between the pipes.)

Maybe it's just east-coast reporting bias and the "scorers" on the team just aren't as good as the media makes the out to be. Roenick, Recchi, Leclair, Oates, Gagne, Primeau... I mean, come on now. Four goals?!?!
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ben

Post by Ben »

Hockey is stupid. So is football and baseball and basketball.

The only true sports are golf and NASCAR.

Lex

Post by Lex »

And Pong, don't forget about Pong.
WHOOA!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Yeah, well, I don't recall Ben furiously fantasizing about a NASCAR cheerleader or anything, back when he worked for the Washington Post. Er, back when he said that he worked for the Washington Post for his website.

Or, shit, maybe that was Clash. Dammit.

pinperson

Post by pinperson »

Some interns were picked, let's just put it that way.
Oh, man. That might be Clash's greatest line ever.

HA HA HA HA

(I would go "KEKEKEKEKEK ^_^" but I don't like breaking out netslang without a firm understanding of its roots and what the hell it means.)

Ice Cream Jonsey

It's how the Korean on-line role players spell "Hehehehe" in Diablo 2, Ultima On-Line, or whichever other games they are in. It denotes laughter, in other words.

Ben

Post by Ben »

Why don't they type "HEHEHEHE"?

And is it just Koreans? I've seen other Orientalasianites do "^_^"... And even some white chicks who are just into all that anime crap.

Oops, sorry, I mean all that anime art.

^_^

Ice Cream Jonsey

I think it's spread to other cultures, which is why non-Koreans, and the Asian girls that you converse with on the internet also do it.

When (if) I get the emoticons working, I hope to have thirty... no, forty... no, FIFTY "KEKE" pictures. Every possible nuance of laughing in a Korean On Line Role Playing Manner should be represented. With varying lengths for the ^____^ stuff as well.

I don't know if these fora will take off or not. (Though success would probably be more likely if I took off my pseudo-intellectual cap and used the word "forums," true.) But even if this is a collosal failure and makes people actually angry to come here, I want even those that hate this place with the most serious of passion to begrudgingly nod their head and admit, "Well, I will give that Fruit Loop credit: he certainly had plenty of ways to express Korean gaming laughter."

gsdgsd

Post by gsdgsd »

A hockey thread! And I was out of town, and typing "/phpBB" instead of "phpBB2". Damn me!

I don't really have anything to add on the Flyers except:

1. Sorry, Robb.

2. At least the Maple Leafs proved the Sens aren't a fluke last night.

3. I got a certain amount of joy from seeing those whiny twats Roenick and Primeau blame everyone except themselves.

4. And in time-honored Flyer tradition, it looks like the way that they'll deal with this mess is by firing the coach and (presumably) dealing the one player (Cechmanek) that showed up for the final round. Go Bobby Clarke!

Greg

Ice Cream Jonsey

I know, deep down, that by all rights I should hate the Philadelphia Flyers. I follow the Blue Jays in baseball and the Saints in football -- two teams that are not at the top of their particular revenue streams. (The Saints more than the Jays.) A team that tries to buy their way out of troubles like the Flyers did disgusts me when I see teams in other sports do it. So when I distance myself from the whole being-a-fan thing, it's just desserts that it happened. I wish it happened to every team that tries it (though in hockey it appears to have cursed the Rangers. Actually, both the New York Rangers and the Texas Rangers in baseball, now that I think about it.)

But there's also the whole "loyalty" thing when it comes to sports. I don't want to be the guy who switches teams at 28 years of age, even when I disagree with the philosophy the team is running with. And you're absolutely right -- because Cechmanek told those whining little infants to play some effing puck while they were killing him, he'll probably be gone. It's a disaster.

gsdgsd

Post by gsdgsd »

I don't think the Flyers are near as bad as the Rangers... except for Roenick, they've usually built through trades and the draft, rather than throwing buckets of money at any 32-year-old whose contract is up. I don't really have anything against the Flyers (while I get great laughs out of watching the Rangers lose), except for Bobby Clarke ... they've got a few players I like.

But after Roenick's tough talk about how Ottawa couldn't handle the physical game, and how the Flyers were gonna make it a short series, the results were pretty funny. Er, for non-Flyers fans.

Now, I have to ruminate on the Avs' mighty performance against the Sharks. Jesus, THAT was grim.

Greg

Ice Cream Jonsey

Well, looks like the Avs bounced back nicely. Where "nicely" means a complete ASS KICKING. Not sure how tough the Sharks are these days at the "Shark Tank," but it should be a battle. Is Georgia in EST or CST? That's like a 10:00pm start-time tomorrow for people on the east coast.

gsdgsd

Post by gsdgsd »

Georgia's in the EST ... so it'll start at 10 p.m. here. Luckily, I'm working the overnight shift now, so I'll be able to see it.

Unluckily, working the overnight shift makes most other facets of life unbearable. But, hey, I can catch the Avs.

Game 2... God almighty, that was almost too much hockey goodness for one night. One of those games where I almost wanted them to ease off and save some of that ass-kicking for game 3. Jesus, the Avs were kind of a trapping team this year, I'd almost forgotten just how good they get when they've got everyone in the lineup.

Now we need Detroit to start losing. NOW!

Greg

Da King

Re: Flyers set a record for playoff hockey futility

Post by Da King »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Maybe it's just east-coast reporting bias and the "scorers" on the team just aren't as good as the media makes the out to be. Roenick, Recchi, Leclair, Oates, Gagne, Primeau... I mean, come on now. Four goals?!?!
Two words:

SLOW DEFENSE.

You guys have nothing but pilons for defensemen. They are the most immobile bunch of blueliners to put on skates EVER. Yeesh. I could probably skate around them.

Given, that doesn't explain 4 goals in 5 games... they should be in a bunch of 8-7 games (which, BTW, would make for some exciting hockey).

Da King

Post by Da King »

Ben wrote:Hockey is stupid. So is football and baseball and basketball.

The only true sports are golf and NASCAR.
Yeah... lets pick the two "sports" where any fat piece of shit can play.

At least in the "big 4", you have to have SOME degree of athleticism to play.

Da King

Post by Da King »

gsdgsd wrote:A hockey thread! And I was out of town, and typing "/phpBB" instead of "phpBB2". Damn me!
Yeah, woulda been nice if Jonsey... I dunno... TOLD US!

gsdgsd

Re: Flyers set a record for playoff hockey futility

Post by gsdgsd »

Da King wrote: Two words:

SLOW DEFENSE.
One of the things that stood out about the Flyers in that series was how far and how fast Desjardins has fallen. I don't expect a lot of Richardson et al, but just a couple years ago Desjardins was considered one of the top-tier all-around defensemen, and now -- he's getting spun on every play, and on the series-winning goal Martin Havlat outmuscled him in front of the goal. I like Havlat, but he's not Brendan Shanahan. Desjardins oughta be able to clear him out of the crease.

Greg

Ice Cream Jonsey

Hmm... according to reports, they hired Ken Hitchcock today.

Fair enough. I was hoping for Ted Nolan though. Not because of his Western New York ties (although that does have something to do with it) but because of his rep (unfair as it may be) as a GM killer. Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!

Anyway, if Hitchcock got Brett Hull playing defense then maybe he can get some of our forward to actually play offense (in the playoffs, anyway).

(In case Lex reads this base: if you recall that story regarding "No Goal," this is the coach who was on the winning side of that fiasco.)

Da King

Post by Da King »

Hitchcock doesnt take any crap from his players... its going to be an interesting power struggle between him and Roenick and Leclair and Primadonneau.

He certainly cant hurt things though. You guys got nowhere to go but up.