URGENT REQUEST to all arcade people!

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

URGENT REQUEST to all arcade people!

Post by pinback »

https://www.hsn.com/products/arcade1up- ... c/20306266

Is $400 (minus some other discounts we get) a good price for this product, and is this a good product?

Thank you.

NEED ANSWERS TODAY!!!!!11111oneoneoneone
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Re: URGENT REQUEST to all arcade people!

Post by AArdvark »

I hear the collectors of vintage cabinets turn their noses up at 1Up products but the people that buy the replicas love them.

That's a pretty good price for a cocktail Ms. Pacman'.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I will speak without bias.

I believe assembly is required.

I know there's at least one ad out here for one that is used for like $125.

I can't speak to build quality for Arcade1Ups. I have been thinking of getting the NBA Jam one but I've never seen one in real life. They aren't as sturdy as 80s arcade cabinets.

More info in a sec. 400 is not a great price but I'm surprised retail was 699.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

We get 30% back, apparently. So it's more like $300.

We are not getting an 80s arcade cabinet.

Feels like it's this or nothing.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ok wait

Ice Cream Jonsey

The link I saw on craigslist was by a dumb moron. It can be discounted.

Yes, $300 is a good price for that. If you are ok with assembly that sounds good. Let me recheck how big the screen is.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ok, ya get Galaga and Dig Dug too. I want to say get it with the understanding that I can't speak from absolute experience on those AND with the understanding that an 80s Robotron is off the table for you.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Well, it's happening. Thank you to all who participated.

It will be destroyed by dogs within two weeks, so it's not a huge deal either way.

Ice Cream Jonsey

You get Mappy and Galaxian!! But not Pac-Man.

I'll send you one of my BitKits for FREE if there is a chance a BitKits can be installed.

Worth it for Mappy. Who knew an adventure starring that chonky fat fuck would come to pass on Thanksgiving.

Welcome to arcade ownership

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:08 am 400 is not a great price but I'm surprised retail was 699.
Yeah 699 would be madness. I paid 700$ for my real Ms Pac-Man cocktail cabinet!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

How is the machine??

pinback

Post by pinback »

Sitting safely in the box! So far no problems.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Did you put up a big high score first so Mina has a goal?

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Why buy a chintzy cocktail cab with an emulated game? I have my eye on a real Ms pacman cocktail cab the Lockstop Cafe may want to sell.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Those antiques would be a shame to expose to dogs and small children. My 1973 Bally pinball table was stored in a basement for years. The same basement where three young nephews were practicing their hockey skills. Luckily the only damage was puck marks and dents in the side wood. It could have been much worse. Imagine if a mint condition Ms. PacMan was chewed upon because a dog had a bout of separation anxiety. That would be pretty depressing. A 1Up cabinet wouldn't be as heart-wrenching.

THE
GNAW SCENARIO
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

A nice Ms.Pac cocktail from the 1980s is like 1800+ bucks now, possibly more like 2500 if you want to get it from a place other than some guy.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:22 am A nice Ms.Pac cocktail from the 1980s is like 1800+ bucks now, possibly more like 2500 if you want to get it from a place other than some guy.
DAYUMMMM

Glad I got mine when I did! I agree with Aardvark that these new machines have their place in a lot of homes. Price aside not everyone wants to learn how to adjust and repair CRT monitors, trouble-shoot the PCB once something weird starts happening, or other complications that can come up with owning a machine nearly as old as I am.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:58 pm
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:22 am A nice Ms.Pac cocktail from the 1980s is like 1800+ bucks now, possibly more like 2500 if you want to get it from a place other than some guy.
DAYUMMMM

Glad I got mine when I did! I agree with Aardvark that these new machines have their place in a lot of homes. Price aside not everyone wants to learn how to adjust and repair CRT monitors, trouble-shoot the PCB once something weird starts happening, or other complications that can come up with owning a machine nearly as old as I am.
I should say - this is based on me looking idly at craigslist ads and remembering ones where there is some kind of business that would, in theory, stand behind the machine. Or more likely, laugh at you and not do anything if the machine failed.

As opposed to just buying from a person who, unlike a company, has a reputation they have to care about.

Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:54 am Those antiques would be a shame to expose to dogs and small children. My 1973 Bally pinball table was stored in a basement for years. The same basement where three young nephews were practicing their hockey skills. Luckily the only damage was puck marks and dents in the side wood. It could have been much worse. Imagine if a mint condition Ms. PacMan was chewed upon because a dog had a bout of separation anxiety. That would be pretty depressing. A 1Up cabinet wouldn't be as heart-wrenching.
At one point where I was living, the domestic long haired cats would jump on the top of the machines, and of course fur would get stuck behind.

I miss those days now. I do still find little long, grey hair in the nooks and crannies of the machines, all these years later.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

There's times when I slightly kick myself for not buying an arcade cabinet when they were cheap. I still can remember the signs on the machines at Time-Out in Long Ridge mall:

Take me home.....$350

I thought that was a lot of money for a Centipede machine. Maybe it was in 1988, I dunno. A friend of mine bought a Firepower II pinball table for close to $350 around then. Wish that was still around.
not everyone wants to learn how to adjust and repair CRT monitors, trouble-shoot the PCB once something weird starts happening,
Just last week a different friend of mine, who knows I have a pinball tabe, mentioned that his parents have an original Centipede machine in their rec room but it stopped working....
Then he let the sentence hang, hoping I would jump in and volunteer to take a look at it. I played stupid and said that was a shame, that was a cool game. Maybe they should buy a 1Up replacement.

What I know about fixing arcade games you could stick in your eye. I mean, I read Flack's book and listen to the foreign language Jizaboz speaks when he goes into capacitor troubleshooting but that's it. I'm not getting sucked into being THAT guy. If they want to get rid of the broken cabinet I'll certainly take it off their hands but I ain't gonna even try to be a repair man.

THE
NOT ON CALL
AARDVARK