Apple // Mockingboard Card for Audio

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Apple // Mockingboard Card for Audio

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

The //e can't use the Floppy Emu device I have because the //e lacks a disk card.

A modern day recreation of one is called Yellowstone, link here: https://shop.bigmessowires.com/products ... ing-bundle

Hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

I did get the Yellowstone card. Installation was a snap, literally - snap off the cover of the //e, plug the card into the 7th slot, have the ribbon cable connect to the FloppyEmu device I have... took about 20 seconds. After turning the //e on, it immediately launched the "Total Replay" virtual hard disk, which is a handpicked selection of Apple // games.

Picture coming shortly, but man, this whole setup is amazing and working.

If anyone wants an Apple //c, let me know. It's an adorable little computer.

The REAL Real Man

Post by The REAL Real Man »

There was someone in the Rochester BBS scene (Jonsey and 'Vark, I'll share a name offline) who either invented a way to digitize music through the Apple II's cassette port, or read how to do it and did it. So I heard my Apple II play a very distorted version of the first third-or-so of Walk Like an Egyptian. For a computer that was only supposed to click and beep, and could maybe manage a bit of a song with Music Construction Set, it absolutely blew my mind.

TRM

Ice Cream Jonsey

Was it HERR HANDS???????????????

Ice Cream Jonsey

So, the BOOTi device that I bought in August doesn't work. There is one more USB stick I was advised to try, but it's similar to a problem I saw in an Apple Enthusiast group, so I'd be pleasantly surprised if this new Sandisk USB stick allows games to run.

But!

I have two FloppyEmu devices. I bought the second because the display was starting to go bad on the first. Well, I am not sure what happened, because I plugged the old one into the IIGS and the LED display is fine. I took the sd card out of the FloppyEmu that is connected to the //e... plugged it into the disk drive port of the IIGS! And bingo. It works, it's playing Choplifter and Zork II.

I don't have it working for SmartPort hard drives, but this is fine for now. The IIGS is doing things! If I can finish Nox Archaist on the //e, I can live with that.

Ice Cream Jonsey

The REAL Real Man wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:11 pm There was someone in the Rochester BBS scene (Jonsey and 'Vark, I'll share a name offline) who either invented a way to digitize music through the Apple II's cassette port, or read how to do it and did it. So I heard my Apple II play a very distorted version of the first third-or-so of Walk Like an Egyptian. For a computer that was only supposed to click and beep, and could maybe manage a bit of a song with Music Construction Set, it absolutely blew my mind.
There is a guy that made the "Matrix" effect for the PCjr. It isn't the most interesting thing to look at, so I don't have it go all the time, but it's still pretty cool to see it display that, and I'll have it do that while working. It is SOOTHING.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ok, the deal with the //e is that you kind of need the keyboard to play games. There is a modern-day RPG for the Apple II called Nox Archaist that I was playing on my Windows 10 computer.

I was able to take the saved game, the .hdv file, and load it on my real Apple //e. So I want to move that computer so it actually allows me to play at my desk, with the keyboard near. Pictures coming soon?

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I still haven't got into the NA yet. Unlike the Briley Witch game, the thing that's holding me back with NA is "Well, I still have a some Ultima games to finish.."
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

I had a BOOTi device that was not working in my Apple IIGS. I received advice from the seller that a Sandisk 8GB flash drive should work. I had tried five other USB devices, so I was suspicious, I suppose, but the flash stick worked right out of the box. I threw Total Replay on it and I now have Total Replay going on the IIGS!

SDCZ50-008G-B35 was the model number of the Sandisk 8GB stick that worked.

Now to find a IIGS joystick..........

Flack

Post by Flack »

The CFFA3000 card I have in my Apple II is the world's most finicky device when it comes to USB devices. It seems like the older, slower, and smaller the device is, the better your odds are of it working. Nothing 16GB or larger seems to work with it. I have one 4GB stick and one 8GB one that work.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

I had your mom's BOOTi device.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ok, I have a bootable image for "BuGS," the most cleverly named game of all time. It is an implementation of Centipede for the IIgs that is a new homebrew game.

I have a bootable disk image that won't boot. I will post the error in this thread.

So I think the money play here is to load IIgs's operating system. And then load the disk somehow. I don't think I know how to do it, but maybe with emulation I can do that!

The REAL Real Man

pinback wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:26 pm I had your mom's BOOTi device.
BWA-ha-ha-haaaaaaa!!

Back in The Day, this would get a simple reply: "Best Of."

TRM

The REAL Real Man

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:52 pm Was it HERR HANDS???????????????
Oh, I forgot to reply to this. No -- Herr Hands only worked with hardware. He had a front room full of computers, but I'm not sure I ever saw him type on one. No, it was Kevin Klinsky. Who also used to amuse the daylights out of me: We'd go to Friendly's, and regardless of what he really wanted to eat, he'd tell the waitress, in that lovely deep voice he had -- not looking at her, but rather staring directly at me -- "I'll have.... the Big... Beef."

GAWD that used to crack me the fuck up.

TRM

The REAL Real Man

Fek, you can't edit on this Stacker forum software, but here it is: https://www.friendlysrestaurants.com/me ... riginal-2/

Ice Cream Jonsey

We'll get you edit access shortly.

Ice Cream Jonsey

The 4MB RAM expansion for the IIgs worked perfectly.

https://www.tindie.com/products/gglabs/ ... escription

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I remember really wanting to play Skate or Die for the Apple IIgs back when I saw the box at Sears and noticed how some of the graphics were different.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

People are asking $150 for monitor stands.

I guess you want strong filament, but this is a perfect example of something I should get into 3D printing for.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175615658904

Ice Cream Jonsey

I can't find something I am happy with, when it comes to a //e monitor stand. Dare I try a "do it yourself" project? I always screw those up!

The internet says a //e has these dimensions: 4.25” H x 15.25” W x 18” D - but I need to find a tape measure, because I do not trust the internet with this one.

I am kind of thinking that I should get a heavy board, cut it, stain it and then attach two "legs" to it. I am seeing things on Amazon that look nice, that are too small, that have iron legs. I like those! I have no idea how to fasten iron to wood at this point in time, though.