Apple IIgs gaming

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

:wink:

Starts tomorrow with BuGS. Finally
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Roody_Yogurt

Re: Apple IIgs gaming

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

I'm trying to think of what games I think are probably best experienced on a IIgs and this is what I have so far:

ICOM Simulations games- The only one I played on the IIgs was "Uninvited," but the IIgs was one of the ports with better graphics and nicely suited to their GUI.

The Immortal- One of my favorite Genesis games, the graphics on the IIgs looked especially nice. You play a wizard going further and further into a dungeon. Pretty much every level is a lot of trial-by-error (and some occasional combat), but it had a lot of style that made it worth playing. I'm not sure how playable it is with modern sensibilities, though.

Transylvana III: Vanquish the Night- Despite being super linear and comprised of small scenes where one must guess the proper command to progress, I actually beat this one. I recall that it made me bash my head a lot, but for anyone who has played the other games in the Transylvania series, it was nice to see it try to be so ambitious for its last outing.

Of course, some of the Sierra games looked great on the IIgs, but it's probably a lot more convenient to play them on ScummVM in this day and age.

The IIgs version of Neuromancer looks nice in screenshots but I don't remember if I ever properly got it running in an emulator.

The Third Courier- Years before the Condemned series, TLC is a game set in Berlin that is technically supposed to be about spycraft but in actuality is mainly a game about killing homeless people. I'm not even saying that it's good, but I put a lot of time into it and got very far and I'm just mad that I never beat it.

Dream Zone and Keef the Thief- These were released on other platforms as well, but I think the IIgs versions came first and have some of the best graphics (well, just better than the PC versions, I mean). I never played the latter one, but the first is kind of a wild graphic IF hybrid. I was able to get through it, but some of the puzzles were such that even after I solved them, I couldn't believe that my solution worked. Anyhow, the most interesting thing is that the creators went on to create Naughty Dog Software, eventual makers of the Uncharted series.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I recommend Skate or Die because it's a unique version of the game and last I checked couldn't be properly emulated (played like shit).
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Thanks for the recommendations!

I didn't want to buy another ADB keyboard - I just have one between my Mac and IIGS. So I bought a board from Big Mess O Wires that converts USB to ADB.

And it supports USB hubs!

So I have that going into the IIGS, and a USB keyboard effectively going to it. And also there was ahhhh a spare USB trackball so I can now play BuGS with a trackball.

It is glorious!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ben gave me a Logitech G13 "programmable gameboard" many years ago. Right now I have a full size keyboard hooked to the IIGS but I really just need the "1" key to start BuGS. I'm going to see if it's possible to save button configurations to the G13 itself. If so, I should be able to hook this thing up to the IIGS, save a bunch of space and go from there.

Ice Cream Jonsey

It did not appear to save it to onboard memory, firmware, whatever. But I am not giving up.

Also people LOVE these things and they do not make them any more, according to the internet. Thanks, Pinner!

pinback

Post by pinback »

You're welcome.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.