[RECIPE] Ben's Famous Beef Stroganoff

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

[RECIPE] Ben's Famous Beef Stroganoff

Post by pinback »

I am killing it in the kitchen this week, and you're all the beneficiaries!

BEN'S FAMOUS BEEF STROGANOFF
=======================
1 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp butter
1 lb sirloin or strip steak, sliced into bite-sized strips
8 oz sliced cremini (or other) mushrooms
1 medium onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 (15 oz) can beef broth
2 tbsp cornstarch
8 oz sour cream
1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley
S/P

1. Pour a little of the beef broth (a couple tablespoons) into a small bowl with the cornstarch, mix into a slurry.

2. Heat olive oil over medium-high in a wide skillet. Add steak, season with salt & pepper, and saute until beginning to brown. Set beef aside.

3. In same pan, add the butter, onion, garlic, and mushrooms, season with salt/pepper, and saute until softened, about five minutes.

4. Add wine, simmer to reduce by half (a few minutes).

5. Add beef back to pan, add remaining beef broth, bring to a simmer and allow to reduce for five minutes.

6. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, longer if you want.

7. Add slurry to pan, bring back to boil to allow sauce to thicken.

8. Add sour cream and parsley, stir to incorporate, S/P to taste, and you're done.

Beats the good god damn out of that Hamburger Helper shit.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

pinback

Post by pinback »

By the way, I read an "authentic" stroganoff recipe, and at the end she says, serve with rice or mashed potatoes, and under NO CIRCUMSTANCES EVER SERVE IT OVER EGG NOODLES. She doesn't know HOW THAT STARTED, and states absolutely that it is WRONG and should NEVER BE DONE.

Well, screw you, you obnoxious bitch. I like mine over egg noodles, as does any right-thinking, God-fearing American.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:I am killing it in the kitchen this week, and you're all the beneficiaries!
I get kind of nervous when someone suggesting food to eat talks about "killing it" and "beneficiaries."
pinback wrote:Well, screw you, you obnoxious bitch. I like mine over egg noodles, as does any right-thinking, God-fearing American.
I guess you're one of those fake atheists who immediately runs to religion at the first sign of trouble. Thank Wotan I never fell for that sort of trap!

But I agree there is absolutely nothing wrong with eating stroganoff over egg noodles. Just like ketchup on hot dogs is perfectly reasonable for adults. (Of course, when I have hot dogs, say at 7-11, I'll put chili, cheese, onions and sauerkraut on them.)
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak