The Best Thing At CostCo

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

The Best Thing At CostCo

Post by pinback »

These come in boxes of six. They are normally $15. But sometimes they go on sale for $10, and when they do, every single cart at CostCo will have at least one of the boxes in them, because they are...

The Best Thing At CostCo.

"What? Fifteen bucks for six bowls of instant noodles?"

Well, ten on sale, like I said, but yes. And do you know why? Do you? Because they are...

They are not only by far the best pre-packaged noodle soups I've had, they're also among the greatest noodle soups I've had anywhere, from fancy restaurant to hole in the wall Pho place.

My point is, they are...

The Best Thing At CostCo,

...and you should give them a try if you happen to spot them. I've found them sold individually at some grocery stores (our Kroger has them) for about $3.50 a pop, which again, is what you'd normally expect to pay for a 24-pack of instant noodles, but believe me when I tell you, 1) they are worth it, and 2) they are...

I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

No, it's prescriptions.

In the Commonwealth of Virginia, every commercial pharmacy open for retail business must serve any customer without any special requirements. Which means the pharmacy in Virginia Costco stores is required by law to serve people who are not members.

My doctor's office refers people who are having to pay large copays for their medications to Costco's pharmacy. My sister mentioned one drug that CVS and Rite Aid wanted over $100 that was belkw $30 at Costco.

This is the best thing at Costco.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

I was hoping that the first reply to this post would have included information about Virginia pharmacy laws.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:I was hoping that the first reply to this post would have included information about Virginia pharmacy laws.
Well, you said some noodle product was the best thing at Costco. I think saving as much as 70% on something that could save your life, as my prescriptions did, "is a far better thing than has been done before."
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Because you have an extreme form of autism, you did not pick up on the fact that, this being the cooking/food base, the point of my post was to highly recommend a food product which is available at CostCo. Instead, you interpreted it as a challenge to find, among their seventeen quintillion other products, one that is better.

Everyone else already understood this, and you will deny it, but I want you to know how and why we've all reached this diagnosis.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

He doesn't have autism. OK?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

In all fairness, you CAN eat the pills from CostCo, so that's sort of food-like. Not that I'd order a plate of 'em at Applebee's or anything.

"A dish of your finest blood thinners and a glass of mineral water please."

I get the feeling that every new post is a Commander's challenge in some way.

THE
MORE STORIES
ABOUT HOUSE PETS
AARDVARK

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Back on topic, I don't have a CostCo nearby. The closest food product that I know of is Ramen Pride noodles. What makes Udon noodles better?

(auto-correct wanted 'nodules', hehehehe)

I don't particularly like the Ramen noodles.

THE
SQUEAMISH IN SEATTLE
AARDVARK

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote:Back on topic, I don't have a CostCo nearby. The closest food product that I know of is Ramen Pride noodles. What makes Udon noodles better?
Probably the type of flour. A quick search shows Udon noodles made with a thick wheat flour. Ramen noodles are also made with wheat flour. However, obviously, the type of flour changes the taste. Durum flour makes saltine crackers, Graham flour makes Graham crackers. Both made of wheat flour, both are hard crackers, both taste radically different from each other.

Let's not forget processing. Ramen are long and thin, Udom are made thicker and (presumably) shorter. Wikipedia also says Chinese noodles (like Ramen) are made with salted, unleavened flour.

Also, Udon are Japanese in origin rather than Chinese.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Are there Godzilla shaped noodles? Like Animal Craskers?

That's the first thing I thought of when I read that.

THE
CRAZY TRAIN
OF THOUGHT
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

He doesn't have autism. OK?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

Obviously, ignore everything Paul said.

Udon noodles are much thicker and chewier than ramen noodles, but what makes the ones in the aforementioned product special is that they are freshly packed, not dried, so the first step of making the soup is to just let them rest in hot water for a minute or two to loosen them back up, not to boil them in water until they rehydrate.

What you're left with is perfectly textured, fresh udon noodles, swimming in an incredibly savory broth.

Ignore everything Paul says in reply to this, as well.