Fast food bullshit

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

Re: Fast food bullshit

Post by Tdarcos »

My example of a good quick service restaurant is one where they focus on quality first, or cleanliness first. Like ones that don't franchise, like In-N-Out, they pay more than minimum wage to new hires - and we're talking about Califoria where minimum wage is above $10 - and store managers can be pulling down $50-60 grand a year.

People will pay for quality. At Five Guys, two cheeseburgers "with everything," fries and a drink will set you back about $20. But the place is spotless and the food is fresh, high quality. They command a significant price premium over, say, McDonalds, and people are willing to pay it.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Tdarcos wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:42 pm My example of a good quick service restaurant is one where they focus on quality first, or cleanliness first. Like ones that don't franchise, like In-N-Out, they pay more than minimum wage to new hires - and we're talking about Califoria where minimum wage is above $10 - and store managers can be pulling down $50-60 grand a year.
I only ate there once. It was the first thing I ate when I went to L.A. and it was good but I wish I had gotten a double. The single had more lettuce than burger on it!
Tdarcos wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:42 pm People will pay for quality. At Five Guys, two cheeseburgers "with everything," fries and a drink will set you back about $20. But the place is spotless and the food is fresh, high quality. [/i]
We have another small chain around here called "Cook-Out" which many locals say is just as good as Five Guys but for at least half the money.. so I've never been to Five Guys heh. Something I learned: I thought Cook-Out was kind of odd for having bible verses stamped on their cups and such.. but apparently In-N-Out does it too.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pinback

Post by pinback »

I had Cook-Out drive through once in Myrtle Beach about five years ago, and it was one of the worst fast-food burgers I'd ever seen. So I look askance at the opinion that it's as good as Five Guys.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

pinback wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:02 am I had Cook-Out drive through once in Myrtle Beach about five years ago
Well there you go. Everything is fucking horrible in Myrtle Beach.

South Carolina is WORST Carolina.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Jizaboz wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:56 am Well there you go. Everything is fucking horrible in Myrtle Beach.
A few great things about Myrtle Beach (when I was 15 so about 30 years ago) were:

Drinking beers with my buddy while chatting up chicks at 2am on the beach

There used to be a kind of cool beachfront bar that seemed to play nothing but Jimmy Buffet and they served me a beer at 15. Due to that kind of thing, I'm sure they're no longer in business.

In the pavilion amusement park there used to be a "rotor" type of ride where you stand by the wall and it spins so you get stuck to the wall while the floor drops out. It was fucking awesome, fully enclosed and pitch black until it starts up with a full light show while they played pounding music videos including the first time I heard "The Power" by Snap. Since there seems to be no internet evidence of this ride having existed, here's the video for "the power":

jizaboz wrote: South Carolina is WORST Carolina.
There are only a few good things I remember about South Carolina:

People wave at each other as they pass each other on the road. Specifically, every white person waves at every other white person to the point where you have to keep one hand on top of the steering wheel so you can wave. Don't think they involve black people in this so I'd probably have an issue with it now but at the time it seemed welcoming to me at least.

Clemson vs Carolina - I never gave a shit about which one won but on those weekends EVERYBODY displays either red or orange flags (at least) on their cars. It's kind of festive even without a horse in the race.

The only other good thing about South Carolina is every Sunday there's at least one radio station that plays nothing but what they call "beach music" all day. It's not just beach boys either, it's Al Green and lots of good music.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Bog

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

pinback wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:47 pmBog
Is this what that means? I've never heard that one:

What is BOG?
BOG is "Toilet"

pinback

Post by pinback »

Bog

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Casual Observer wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:52 pm
pinback wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:47 pmBog
Is this what that means? I've never heard that one:

What is BOG?
BOG is "Toilet"
I'm not sure what Pinback means.. but at many times the streets of South Myrtle smell like toilet.

CO man you bring up the years of the kind of ONLY good memories I have of the place. That was "the beach" to me as a kid until we started going to NC beaches when I was about 10. As far as an actual beach it's always sucked.. crowded, dirty, and you can't surf as well as other stupid rules. But that "Pavilion" area around there was magical to me in the 1980s. The ride you remember is true. They also did one with a "scrambler" style ride inside the dome and it was blasting AC/DC music in the dark with fog and lasers. You'd think you were gonna hit another carriage any second lol. Last time I rode those I was 13 years old.

I only revisited the amusement park for a last time when I was 19 (did one "spring break" thing with a group of idiots) to ride the haunted house before hitting the arcade across the street. Man I loved that automated haunted house ride. There was also a walk-through haunted house across the street that was pretty scary some nights. They made you sign a death certificate before you went in haha. When I was 19 that was the last time the arcade was worth a shit as well. The new games at the time were Sega Top Skater and NFL Blitz. I noticed their older game selection and pinball games had dwindled some but still saw a lot of retro stuff like good ol 1970s baseball games they had for years. After chugging a few Budweisers at the hotel, I played the shit out of those games while the gang of idiots chased girls! I could tell things were degrading a bit. Even the tshirt and bong stores were closing.. soon they would all close due to regulations for the area. I remember the bar you speak of as well. At one time it had a rustic wooden exterior with a Mexican gunslinger or something on it. It had closed by the time I went at 19.

The last and final time I went to Myrtle Beach I took my girlfriend to see a concert at the House of Blues for her birthday. This was ehh 2012? I didn't care to see the show, so I cruised around the Pavilion area to check out the arcade and such. Arcade was still there.. but filled with modern redemption machines and bullshit. Ripley's Believe it or Not! is still there. Once you've been through that twice though wtf is the point? The next day I got a ticket for being over on a meter I assumed was 25 cents per 5 minutes (it was 3 mintutes) on a completely empty street beside a vacant fucking square of grass where the amusement park USED to be. It was bulldozed years before that apparently. Peach's Hot Dog joint was still there and the same.. but honestly I can get the same type dog a mile away from my house.

The only redeeming factor for me on that last trip to Myrtle Beach was that the original Godfather's Pizza I ate at since 1984 or so which was still being ran by guys from Winston-Salem BEST Carolina was still open! Had a great talk with the owners and enjoyed the leftover pepperoni, sausage, and mushroom pizza.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pinback

Post by pinback »

Flack

Post by Flack »

Casual Observer wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:34 pmIn the pavilion amusement park there used to be a "rotor" type of ride where you stand by the wall and it spins so you get stuck to the wall while the floor drops out. It was fucking awesome, fully enclosed and pitch black until it starts up with a full light show while they played pounding music videos including the first time I heard "The Power" by Snap.
I rode the Gravitron (the UFO-shaped one) as many times as I could every year when the fair came around. Seems to me our ride operator enforced the rules a bit more than this guy.

"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

Jizaboz wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:02 pm CO man you bring up the years of the kind of ONLY good memories I have of the place. That was "the beach" to me as a kid until we started going to NC beaches when I was about 10. As far as an actual beach it's always sucked.. crowded, dirty, and you can't surf as well as other stupid rules. But that "Pavilion" area around there was magical to me in the 1980s. The ride you remember is true. They also did one with a "scrambler" style ride inside the dome and it was blasting AC/DC music in the dark with fog and lasers. You'd think you were gonna hit another carriage any second lol. Last time I rode those I was 13 years old.
The Pavilion is long gone, but Family Kingdom is still there, and the ol' Swamp Fox is still packing a punch. Went on it again last year. A bit rough around the edges, but still a much wilder ride than you'd expect, given its relatively small stature. It's an ACE Coaster Landmark, doncha know!

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

LOL That one kid in the Gravitron video leaning forward. That's a good way to make yourself puke. Never seen other riders go spiderman style like this, but then again there were a lot more riders usually than in this video.

Dude I had just about forgotten about Family Kingdom! I went there when it was called "<something> on the Strand" (can't recall exactly what now) too when I was young enough to ride in these little boats that went around a shallow track filled with dirty water. Totally dug it. There was no waterpark there back then. Instead, near there was a place called "Mount Olympus" with the old school concrete waterslides. Loved that place. Family Kingdom also had an arcade! While it was smaller, it was still a great one. I played the original Street Fighter with the oversized buttons there around 1990. Good to know that place is still there.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Damn if the Swamp Fox doesn't look identical to the Skyliner

pinback

Post by pinback »

Skyliner makes a 90 degree left turn at the top of the lift hill, then does an out and back in an L shape. Swamp Fox does a 180 at the top of the lift and just goes out and back in a straight line.

But yeah, they're designed by the same guy, and built only a handful of years apart. Good eye!

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Casual Observer wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:34 pm There used to be a kind of cool beachfront bar that seemed to play nothing but Jimmy Buffet and they served me a beer at 15. Due to that kind of thing, I'm sure they're no longer in business.
There was a movie called "The Hollywood Knights" about a bunch of high school miscreants who hung out at a drive-in restaurant (the kind with actual carhops) set back in 1962, if I remember. As it turns out, the restaurant the hung out at was being closed that night as it was going to be torn down. Probably to build a shopping center.

I thought this was a great scene: the owner says to his partner, I think, shortly before closing, that this one time they'll let all the high school kids drink beers. "After all, what are they gonna do to us, close us down?"
Casual Observer wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:34 pm In the pavilion amusement park there used to be a "rotor" type of ride where you stand by the wall and it spins so you get stuck to the wall while the floor drops out.
Yes, I've seen those too. The Pike, a famous amusement park and multi arcade in Long Beach, California, had one. Basically, once you get it up to a certain speed centrifugal force exceeds gravity and you're stuck to the wall like flypaper. At that point they drop the floor about 3-4 feet.

It is amazing to watch, but knowing my own stomach problems I would not have dared ride it. In fact, the ride operator would announce over the loudspeaker that if you felt like you were going to throw up, to put your hand over your mouth, and raise your other hand, and he'd stop the ride so you could get off. I never saw anyone take advantage of the offer, I guess people who rode it knew what they can take.
Casual Observer wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:34 pm Since there seems to be no internet evidence of this ride having existed,
Yeah, it's a damn shame there is no video evidence. If only a search on Youtube for "spinning amusement park ride" or "centrufugal force amusement park ride" would return an example or two

Yeah, if only there was video of it

Casual Observer wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:34 pm The only other good thing about South Carolina is every Sunday there's at least one radio station that plays nothing but what they call "beach music" all day. It's not just beach boys either, it's Al Green and lots of good music.
While The Beach Boys were famous for surfer tunes, anything related counts, like "Wipeout" by The Ventures (who did the theme song for the original Hawaii Five-Oh TV series; "G.T.O." by Ronny & The Daytonas; "Runaway" by Del Shannon; and "Walk, Don't Run" by The Trashmen; among others.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:10 amYeah, it's a damn shame there is no video evidence. If only a search on Youtube for "spinning amusement park ride" or "centrufugal force amusement park ride" would return an example or two
Neither of your examples was from the one at the Myrtle Beach Pavilion, you legless, mush-brained sack of confusion.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:27 pm
Tdarcos wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:10 amYeah, it's a damn shame there is no video evidence. If only a search on Youtube for "spinning amusement park ride" or "centrufugal force amusement park ride" would return an example or two
Neither of your examples was from the one at the Myrtle Beach Pavilion, you legless, mush-brained sack of confusion.
It figures that only a dishonest alcoholic would resort to personal attacks, and bad ones at that. He said there was no video evidence of a ride called "the rotor" and I found it. Who the fuck cares where it is?

And in case your alcohol-sodden brain is incapable of working, I am not legless; I still have one. If you're going to use personal attacks, at least make sure they have some truth to them.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:20 amHe said there was no video evidence of a ride called "the rotor" and I found it. Who the fuck cares where it is?
Because he was talking about the one in Myrtle Beach, not saying it never existed anywhere.

I've checked with everyone, living or dead, who has ever existed in the history of the universe, and everyone understood this immediately except for you.
And in case your alcohol-sodden brain is incapable of working, I am not legless; I still have one. If you're going to use personal attacks, at least make sure they have some truth to them.
Well, you have less legs.