Black Bear Diner

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

Black Bear Diner

Post by Flack »

On Friday a coworker recommended we try Black Bear Diner, and so Saturday night, we did.

Black Bear Diners are traditionally located on the west coast, although over the past few years they have opened a few throughout the Midwest. (According to their website, there are two in Colorado Springs as well.) Both inside and out the restaurant resembles a large log cabin, and the menu looks like an old newspaper. I got a real Cracker Barrel vibe from the place, without the gift shop and rocking chairs. There's a wooden carved bear out front, and the walls are plastered with posters and paintings featuring bears.

Our place mats proudly boasted that breakfast was now available all day. Normally I'm not a "breakfast for dinner" guy but I decided to try the "Chicken and Waffles and Eggs" combo. My wife is a vegetarian 99.99% of the time and can only be tempted from her self-imposed diet when a good chicken fried steak presents itself, which it did.

While waiting for our food to arrive I counted 20 tables in our dining room. Out of those 20, 14 were occupied, and 10 of those 14 had kids. One was throwing handfuls of macaroni, one at a second table was screaming his head off, and a third was playing on his phone with the volume all the way up. Black Bear Diner is very kid friendly, but it ain't very quiet friendly.

When our food arrived, I was surprised how large the portions were. "If you don't say wow, we did it wrong," said the waitress. My main course consisted of a big waffle, covered with a big piece of fried chicken, covered with two over-easy eggs. Sides were a bowl of fruit, and a bowl of grits with cheese and bacon. The wife's chicken fried steak came with green beans, mashed potatoes, a dinner roll, and a side salad.

Also on the table were three bottles of hot sauce -- Papa Burn, Mama Burn, and Baby Burn. I started with the Mama Burn and when that didn't put me in pain, switched to the Papa Burn. Mixed with the syrup over the eggs/chicken/waffle, it gave the meal the kick it needed.

Portions were large and the food was good but not outstanding (wifey said the same). I don't know that we'll be back, but if we try it again, I'll bring earplugs.

Link: Black Bear Diner Menu
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."