Archived arcade craigslist URLs

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Archived arcade craigslist URLs

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

This is an experiment, gonna try to add Wayback Machine links to craigslist ads for arcade games. Thinking over the course of time it might give a snapshot as to what they were going for.

This is a repro 720 degrees in Billings, Montana. Asking price is $3000.

https://web.archive.org/save/https://de ... 52169.html

(I have no take on whether that price is good, bad or in between, but because they go away so quickly, here we are.)
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Jizaboz

Re: Archived arcade craigslist URLs

Post by Jizaboz »

Even though the joystick being worth nearly 700 alone in good shape, this price just isn't realistic to me. A realistic price would be more like 1400-1700

Flack probably gave 200$ for his haha
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:18 pm Stargate: asking $1200 OBO. https://web.archive.org/web/20200402041 ... 88730.html
1200$ Haha apparently this guy has no idea how many Stargate cabinets are out there.

I have a complete Stargate boardset (30$ at an auction). If I ever find an empty cabinet, I'll have a Stargate.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

I think we are seeing the prices top out in Denver. Ask of $1200 isn't that far out of line with what others are asking... The thing is, cabs must be getting sold somewhere other than FB Marketplace and Craigslist because there's maybe 3 a month on CL and one a month on FB.

Prices are dropping big time on KLOV.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Captain America and the Avengers 4 player - https://web.archive.org/web/20200408164 ... 03004.html

Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:42 am Captain America and the Avengers 4 player - https://web.archive.org/web/20200408164 ... 03004.html
Now that thing is worth nearly that much. It's a rare game that isn't emulated very well. Also very fun to play and would be a hit in barcade.. if those ever open again. I wouldn't pay that much and sure as shit don't have room for that big ass thing but someone else probably offer at least 1200$

600$ Space Invaders would be awfully tempting! It's the 2nd arcade game I ever played and still enjoy it to this day.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

I think the Captain America one is actually a few miles from where I live, funnily enough. You're correct - not easy to emulate the experience and it's gorgeous. Having had Gauntlet and Xenophobe, what I learned was that those games will get a solid block of play only when multiple people visit. Other than that, they just sit there. I'll screw with them for a while but because you can load up as any quarters as you want they really aren't skill games any more. Of course, none of that matters when four people are having the time of their life on it and there's a bucket of quarters and they get the experience of playing without a monetary limit.

As for Space Invaders, yeah, $600 for a Space Invaders in 2020 seems pretty fair to me. I wouldn't be able to ever justify getting one because they are massive and I just don't have the love for the arcade version of it, but I am glad those still exist in the world.

Ice Cream Jonsey

This is kind of nice, isn't it guys? Rapping about arcade games? Together? As a family?

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:15 pm This is kind of nice, isn't it guys? Rapping about arcade games? Together? As a family?
AW YEAH
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pinback

Post by pinback »

Well, it's just you and Jiz.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:13 pmAs for Space Invaders, yeah, $600 for a Space Invaders in 2020 seems pretty fair to me. I wouldn't be able to ever justify getting one because they are massive and I just don't have the love for the arcade version of it, but I am glad those still exist in the world.
I like and appreciate Space Invaders for what it is, but it seems like it would be a boring game to own. Those first couple of levels start out so slow that... I dunno. A restored Space Invaders looks really nice and it's an iconic game, but I just can't see going out and playing it all the time.

I would love to own a Paperboy machine. I would love to just sit there and play it day after day until every level was memorized.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Yeah, Paperboy is a hit pretty much everywhere. Even my girlfriend would play it a lot if I had one. They are just so expensive now, man.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

This is NOT worth saving, it is an abomination: https://denver.craigslist.org/tag/d/lon ... 47441.html

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Damn.. he removed the control panel and puts in joysticks, slaps a LCD monitor in it; replacing the original beautiful color vector monitor he is too fucking stupid to fix.

True value: -500$ You would have to PAY ME to pick up this piece of shit and try to make it Tempest again.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

https://web.archive.org/save/https://de ... 50410.html

Warlords for $1100 in the ad, $2200 in the comments.

The paradox of the good price for an arcade game in Denver - if the price is too good, I assume the seller is trying to get people with cash to go to places where they can shoot the buyer and steal the money. So because of this I'll never get a good deal. (This game is a good deal at the lower price.)

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I have a thought. Why just Denver Craigslist archives? Are you just interested in what has been around just your local area, or did you not think of other areas? Aren't there some other parts of the country that are hotbeds of interest for arcade machines?

New York City or San Francisco might be too much of an outlier as those cities are very expensive to live in but the Carolinas (especially the Research Triangle Park area), Austin, or Salt Lake City are all cosmopolitan, reasonably affluent areas (but, at the same time, having reasonable cost of living) that probably have people who can afford this sort of hobby without extremely expensive urban areas skewing the price.

On the other hand, you could use expensive areas to judge the high end of (historically) what prices to expect.
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Tdarcos wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:48 am New York City or San Francisco might be too much of an outlier as those cities are very expensive to live in but the Carolinas (especially the Research Triangle Park area), Austin, or Salt Lake City are all cosmopolitan, reasonably affluent areas (but, at the same time, having reasonable cost of living) that probably have people who can afford this sort of hobby without extremely expensive urban areas skewing the price.

On the other hand, you could use expensive areas to judge the high end of (historically) what prices to expect.
Since you mentioned Charlotte and I like about an hour and 30 minutes from Charlotte, here are some listing from Charlotte.

Vintage Ms. Pac Man video game - $1000 (Shelby, NC)
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/vgm/d/ ... 84245.html

ATARI 1980 ASTEROIDS DELUXE cocktail table arcade game BEAUTIFUL! - $995 (Charlotte, Carowinds area)
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/clt/d/ ... 48749.html

Neither of these are worth 1000. The Ms Pac was originally another cabinet I cannot identify. The Asteroids is pretty cool but yeah more like 500-600$ cool assuming the vector monitor is in good shape.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:48 am I have a thought. Why just Denver Craigslist archives?
It's the only one I check, bro!