Are Pete Davidson's Arcade Machines Real or the cheap new ones you can get at Walmart?

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Are Pete Davidson's Arcade Machines Real or the cheap new ones you can get at Walmart?

You may select 1 option

View results

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Watching Seth Meyers and endured first few minutes of him interviewing this guy from SNL. He's in "his mom's basement" of course during the pandemic and showing off three arcade machines. You guys would know better than me so please let me know what you think. My feeling is they're the modern bullshit ones that you can buy online or at walmart. They seem too new, too short, too uniform and he's the kind of douche who is actually famous but shows crap like that off like he's cool. Not that I have any arcade machines or anything, just if I did they would be real, a cocktail MS Pacman, a Spy Hunter, something like that.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Are Pete Davidson's Arcade Machines Real or the cheap new ones you can get at Walmart?

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Those are ones from 1UPArcade. They are not the ones from the 80s, no. They are too short as you said and have LCD screens and such. It does seem a little silly that they don't put a zillion games on them.

BUT I feel there is enough elitism in hobbies in the world. Live and let live, I say. The price of the arcade cabinets from the 80s skyrocketed years ago so these are a fun, cheap way to get like 75% of the experience I think.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Jizaboz

Re: Are Pete Davidson's Arcade Machines Real or the cheap new ones you can get at Walmart?

Post by Jizaboz »

Yeah I mean.. to own real arcade machines you generally have to know how to work on them and this guy probably never will. Not insulting the guy; about 5-6 years ago I didn't know shit either.

And yes, prices are insane. There is no way I would have paid the asking price for my most recent (Bosconian) machine these days. I was just extremely fortunate that I had an old friend willing to just let me have it to restore.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

There are some deals to be found - dude out here is selling a DK Jr with no side art for $750. If that was a regular DK I'd be on it. (I feel that's not TOO bad for a DK / DK Jr. I feel they start at twice that out here these days for asking price.)

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

They lack the coin doors, the real reason they were made in the first place. I do want to make a mame cabinet, really I do. I fear however, after the project is finished it will sit in my basement with hardly any usage, so the exercise could well be pointless.

thought about getting one of the 1Up machines but it's the same old question, is the juice worth the squeeze?

THE
ORANGE
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

For 1UP? No.

For a MAME cab? Sure. 90% of the use my cabs get is when people come over. D'ya have people over, Vark?

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I actually play my games all by myself pretty often!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

We hardly ever have people calling, so It would be only me using it. I have a pretty good version of mame on my laptop already. You know, out of ten zillion games in that thing there's only about five that I actually like playing

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Jizaboz wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:10 pm I actually play my games all by myself pretty often!
Jiz, if you're playing with yourself pretty often, then...

"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:19 pm For 1UP? No.
1ups are a joke. Too small to be played comfortably standing up like a man, too tall to be a cocktail. The controls are cheap. On Galaga, the joystick is ok but the buttons dint always register. Though small for an arcade, i cant imagine wasting this kind of physical space for something i can play as well on my phone. $299 for a 5 ft cab with one game? Ridiculous. Vark could build a Mame out of a fridge for less and it would be fucking awesome.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:19 pm For 1UP? No.
Do you have a digital version of the art for your ol' Polybius cab sitting around somewhere?
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Are we talking about MAME? Dude, don't even get me started.
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM