TUESDAY BOOZEDAY MAME CLUB!

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

Re: TUESDAY BOOZEDAY MAME CLUB!

Post by Tdarcos »

Shinobi, 1300, this is a tough game, mostly because (at first) I couldn't figure out what controls worked for shooting, jumping and (to a lesser degree) ducking. Looks like I'm going to be pulling up the rear again.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Some hints for anyone who (for some incomprehensible reason) has never played this amazing game before:

To be able to finish each stage, you need to rescue all the children, except in boss fight stages.

The quicker you finish a stage, the more points you get.

Most stages have an upper and lower level. To jump to the upper level, press up + jump. To get back down, press down + jump.

You can use your magic ability (sorry, "ninjutsu") once per stage. It clears all enemies on the screen, or does high damage to bosses. However, if you complete a stage or boss fight without using it, you get 5000 bonus points.

The bonus stages allow you to get an extra life if you can prevent all enemies from reaching you. (Yeah, good luck with that.)

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

First attempt after not having played the game for quite some time: 90.120

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Flack wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:35 pm
pinback wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:08 pm Thank God. I was gonna stress all weekend over hitting 200K, but now I don't have to worry about it.

Great job, B-dawg!
And thanks for keeping that scoresheet up to date!
Is there someway to send a ROM as a MAME executable as opposed to have to go through the menu to find the game? That is my second biggest gripe that is stopping me from taking part, the first being I have to reconfigure my joystick for every new game that comes along. But I want to play! The last four games have been insanely interesting to me (though I haven't checked this thread since BryanB and those other heroes stepped up to play a REAL GAME.)

Anyway... Could we figure that out?
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

RetroRomper wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:09 pm Anyway... Could we figure that out?
I was about to write something, but then you'd just say "don't get me started on RetroArch", so never mind.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I actually like Shinobi, I didn't think I would. Granted I haven't gotten past the first boss yet and I don't like having to restart at the beginning of each stage when killed but the game is engaging.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Also.. Hey RobB, can I change my avatar to one of the autistic prisoners from the game?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:02 am Also.. Hey RobB, can I change my avatar to one of the autistic prisoners from the game?
I think, based on public opinion*, that I'm the only one here that should be able to use an avatar of someone autistic.

* "Public opinion" means "The comments of the peanut gallery** over on Caltrops.com."
** "Peanut gallery" means "Cretinous Rprobates™."
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

AArdvark wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:02 am Also.. Hey RobB, can I change my avatar to one of the autistic prisoners from the game?
Yes, do you have a picture in mind? And are they autistic or just redheads?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

RealNC wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:41 pm90.120
It's odd how you guys use periods instead of commas.

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

In the past, I haven't been a great Shinobi player. Right now, I wish I was much better at it. In the future, I'm going to be an amazing at Shinobi.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I've been in the middle of my podcast cycle but I'll be breaking out the arcade stick tonight for some ninja fightin' action!
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I'll draw up a Crazy Doodle of a Shinobi prisoner

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

bryanb wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:44 am In the past, I haven't been a great Shinobi player. Right now, I wish I was much better at it. In the future, I'm going to be an amazing at Shinobi.

Same, dude. I love every aspect of the game and have played it since seeing it in gas stations in the 80s.. I just am not very good at it.

Revenge of Shinobi (Genesis / MegaDrive) is also excellent but EVEN HARDER.

I will also try to give this a whirl bit later though!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Keep at it! The "secret" to the first boss is to not even allow him to throw flames. Jump and throw your star on your way up. Then immediately jump and throw again. Use your magic to deal 3 damage.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

RealNC wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:45 pm
RetroRomper wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:09 pm Anyway... Could we figure that out?
I was about to write something, but then you'd just say "don't get me started on RetroArch", so never mind.
Dude, what did I say about getting me started on RetroArch?

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

gsdgsd

Post by gsdgsd »

I finally got past the first big guy and that's probably as far as I'll get. 37,130.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I am glad people are playing are giving Shinobi a chance. It's a fun game -- very pattern based, and the more you play it the more you can memorize the patterns.

The convenience store near the house I grew up in had Shinobi at one point in time. I loved ninjas, loved arcade games, and loved greasy burritos, so this was a match made in heaven. I spent a lot of summer days skateboarding up to the convenience store with a pocket full of quarters to play arcade games, buy 44oz drinks (free refills if Rashi wasn't paying attention!) and eat burnt egg rolls or five-cent Atomic Fireballs.

My first Shinobi machine I ever owned was (I believe) the third machine I bought, back in the mid-90s. This machine had no sound, which is where I learned all about Sega boards and their stupid suicide batteries. Many Sega-16 boards used encrypted chips which were battery powered to prevent piracy. If the chip was removed, it lost power and the chip's code could not be dumped. Unfortunately, over time those batteries begin to leak. On my Shinobi cabinet, the battery acid leaked out all over the sound board, killing its ability to make sound. A Shinobi (or any 16-bit Sega) machine that doesn't make sound is a good sign that the battery is about to die -- when that happens, the board dies. I learned that lesson, too. (There are ways to fix them today that didn't exist back then.)

A few years later I bought my second Shinobi machine, which, as you can see, Mason loved to play almost as much as I did. Over the years I owned a lot of machines that I didn't necessarily love to play, but this was not one of them. I'm trying to think of a game I owned that I played more than this one. Gauntlet, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, and Off Road all got a lot of play, but those are all more fun with more than one person. When it was just me out in the arcade, Shinobi always got a turn.

When I began visiting arcade auctions regularly, I ran across a cheap Shinobi and ended up buying it, even though I already owned one. After the experience I had with my first one, I was always secretly worried that one day I would wake up and it would be dead. I think I paid $50 for this machine which wasn't pretty, but I moved it into the arcade anyway and figured if the first one died I could move the board from this one into that one and convert one of the cabinets into something else. What I hadn't planned on is that neither one of them ever died, and so for several years I owned two Shinobi cabinets. There are worse fates.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."