MAME Club side conversations attempt #2.

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: TUESDAY BOOZEDAY MAME CLUB!

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

bryanb is correct. The club is a rousing success. I didn't even know there was a rev 4 of Asteroids and -- before this week -- thought that I knew pretty much all the major information points about Asteroids. It was an excellent suggestion.

I tapped out at 35,000 or so on the rev 2 game I own. I always thought that was as good as I could ever do. With Asteroids, it should be the easiest thing in the world to be patient and let the game come to you but I can't do it.

Rev 4 is quicker and faster. Different, but still fun to play. I'm enjoying it.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:57 pm bryanb is correct.
He said essentially the exact same thing as me and you attacked me for it.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

The Fabulous Mr. Bryan B's explanation not only covered this MAME Club Thing, but also Community Cookouts, Cul De Sac shin gigs, 4th of July BBQs, and anything where friends come together. Could we pour out a cold one for BLM since his life has been so pathetic these concepts are foreign to him or he needs to delve deeply into his lack of personality to push out trolling so trite that it would get him mocked and ignored in Club Penguin?
bryanb wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:27 pm Since the club thread is for discussing the game of the week as well as posting scores [...]
FAKE scores as well. At least fake high score boards.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:05 pm [...] when HMMM you're the one guy that didn't post a screenshot last week. [...]
Excuse me?
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

RetroRomper wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:11 pmThe Fabulous Mr. Bryan B's explanation
He literally just posted the exact same thing as I did.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

RetroRomper wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:11 pm
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:05 pm [...] when HMMM you're the one guy that didn't post a screenshot last week. [...]
Excuse me?
Yeah, I just did some fact checking and it turns out the only people who posted screenshots here were ICJ and pinback, and ICJ was definitely playing on a modded system or a cheat controller or the wrong version or any number of things that was most certainly not the posted rom.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Billy Mays wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:22 pm
RetroRomper wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:11 pmThe Fabulous Mr. Bryan B's explanation
He literally just posted the exact same thing as I did.
Can you point out to where bryanb said that I cheated? Since you petulantly proclaimed twice that he said "the exact same thing" you did, it should be easy.

Can you also point out where bryanb had raised the dumb fucking argument about "teams" that the rest of us laughed at? Again - he said exactly what you did, so this should be easy.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Billy Mays wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:26 pm
RetroRomper wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:11 pm
Excuse me?
Yeah, I just did some fact checking and it turns out the only people who posted screenshots here were ICJ and pinback, and ICJ was definitely playing on a modded system or a cheat controller or the wrong version or any number of things that was most certainly not the posted rom.
No you cunt, I wanted recognition that not only didn't I post a screenshot showing a score in Asteroids, but I haven't posted A SINGLE SCREENSHOT of any of the games the MAME Club has played.

Screw you, get the fuck out, but give me my validation before you do.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Ice Cream Jonsey

RetroRomper wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:34 pm I haven't posted A SINGLE SCREENSHOT of any of the games the MAME Club has played.
Out of curiosity, why is that? We all enjoy the high score tables, do you not like playing the game or something?

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

After Moon Patrol, I've begun dreading configuring my joystick through MAME as it requires me to deal with third party mapping software, then I have to randomly press buttons in the control screen for any individual game and that leads to dealing with 5+ minutes of frustration.

I did go through the trouble of configuring the Sanwa for Joust 2, but I almost immediately switched to playing the first Joust as I became nostalgic for it after a few rounds (my Uncle had an original Joust cabinet in his apartment that I played whenever I was over.) Didn't pay any attention at all to my Joust 2 score, but I did end up around 700kish on Joust from the first wave, which made me happy.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Ice Cream Jonsey

RetroRomper wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:51 pm After Moon Patrol, I've begun dreading configuring my joystick through MAME as it requires me to deal with third party mapping software, then I have to randomly press buttons in the control screen for any individual game and that leads to dealing with 5+ minutes of frustration.

I did go through the trouble of configuring the Sanwa for Joust 2, but I almost immediately switched to playing the first Joust as I became nostalgic for it after a few rounds (my Uncle had an original Joust cabinet in his apartment that I played whenever I was over.) Didn't pay any attention at all to my Joust 2 score, but I did end up around 700kish on Joust from the first wave, which made me happy.
A Sanwa! Nice. I went with the Cheat Controller 6000. I was debating between that and the Sanwa but I had a coupon. Which actually - it should still be good, I'll post that as soon as we see Mays' Joust 2 and Berzerk screenshots, which totally exist in the world and weren't numbers picked out of thin air by someone whose only goal here is to ruin the fun everyone else is having.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Haha the cheat controller! Just like how I cheated by not using a factory Vectrex controller!

Such hostility. Chill out, people.

Thanks to you, Bryan and eh I’ll have to re-read Mays posts a few time before I confirm who defended me and sorry to Flack if I somehow contributed to this shit show.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:32 pmCan you point out to where bryanb said that I cheated? Since you petulantly proclaimed twice that he said "the exact same thing" you did, it should be easy.
I'll do one better, I'll point out where you said you cheated:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:16 pmOk, I played rev 4. It is easily three times as fast as rev 2 Asteroids.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:32 pmCan you also point out where bryanb had raised the dumb fucking argument about "teams" that the rest of us laughed at? Again - he said exactly what you did, so this should be easy.
bryanb wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:43 pm

I think the only fair way to do it would be to hold a draft. The individual competition could be the way we select team captains and award draft picks. I don't know how people would feel about having a team captain from another board that they don't know at all, though. Maybe it'd be best to always have one captain from JC and one captain from TGC. Imagine these potential lineups:

Bryan's Shadow Raiders:
Bryan!
Robb!
AArdvark!
Jizaboz!
Billy!
Assistant Coach: Paul!

Flack's Forbidden Army:
Flack!
Kid Ice!
Mushroom Tom!
pinback
K8track!
Physio: Some guy who uses racial slurs on Caltrops regularly!

Trades would be possible as long as they don't involve the team captain or support staff, but I'm pretty happy with my picks so the answer is probably "No." Also, I think RetroRomper should be able to represent either team at any point he wishes. He could play Monday for the Shadow Raiders and Tuesday for the Forbidden Army. That's fine with me. The important thing is he plays!

Ice Cream Jonsey

So you couldn't say where BryanB said that, got it. Weird, because he literally said what you said, and you were sure to mention that twice.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: ↑Ok, I played rev 4. It is easily three times as fast as rev 2 Asteroids.
Rev 4 is what we're all playing this week, numbnuts, it's faster than rev 2, which is what my real machine is, which hasn't been turned on since Monday. Christ.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Go home Mays, you’ve had enough for one night.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:30 amI'll post that as soon as we see Mays' Joust 2 and Berzerk screenshots, which totally exist in the world and weren't numbers picked out of thin air by someone whose only goal here is to ruin the fun everyone else is having.
Posting a screenshot is optional, you would know that if you read the rules. But why would you? You're just making it up as you go along anyways. Any ROM, any version, not playing any of it on MAME, you probably have some illegal soldering work done on those physical boards you brag about and try to shove down everyone's throat. This should just get renamed to ICJ CHEATS CLUB, at least then it would be an accurate description of what's actually going on around here.

Ice Cream Jonsey

The boards have been worked over with some kind of Cheat Soldering Iron, that's true.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:44 amSo you couldn't say where BryanB said that, got it. Weird, because he literally said what you said, and you were sure to mention that twice.
Obviously I wasn't referring to everything we've ever posted here, that is the weird part, that you thought I was saying everything we ever posted here. Ok, since it has to be done then I'll do it: BryanB and myself sometimes post things that are not the same thing. Now that I cleared the slate on that, how do you explain this:
bryanb wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:43 pm

I think the only fair way to do it would be to hold a draft. The individual competition could be the way we select team captains and award draft picks. I don't know how people would feel about having a team captain from another board that they don't know at all, though. Maybe it'd be best to always have one captain from JC and one captain from TGC. Imagine these potential lineups:

Bryan's Shadow Raiders:
Bryan!
Robb!
AArdvark!
Jizaboz!
Billy!
Assistant Coach: Paul!

Flack's Forbidden Army:
Flack!
Kid Ice!
Mushroom Tom!
pinback
K8track!
Physio: Some guy who uses racial slurs on Caltrops regularly!

Trades would be possible as long as they don't involve the team captain or support staff, but I'm pretty happy with my picks so the answer is probably "No." Also, I think RetroRomper should be able to represent either team at any point he wishes. He could play Monday for the Shadow Raiders and Tuesday for the Forbidden Army. That's fine with me. The important thing is he plays!
?

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:44 amRev 4 is what we're all playing this week, numbnuts, it's faster than rev 2, which is what my real machine is, which hasn't been turned on since Monday. Christ.
That's odd, because you said the exact opposite thing the other day.

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

I should probably point out here that my oft-quoted teams post was written in jest and wasn't intended to be either a subject of controversy or a serious suggestion. I hope no one genuinely believes I'm trying to create gainful employment opportunities for racist Caltrops posters. We all know they're mostly cops and won't leave the beat until they've got their pensions nailed down anyway.

Regretfully, I must also say I'm considering releasing Billy from his contract for the Shadow Raiders and trying to sign Retro as a free agent. I appreciate everything Billy brings to the table and will always be grateful for his service, but team morale is at an all-time low. Our assistant coach walked into the locker room the other day and immediately declared, "There's no spirit here!" Damned if he wasn't right, too.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Billy Mays wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:04 am
Flack wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:29 amand most likely won't be archived without a lot of asterisks
To save yourself time just put an asterisk next anyone who didn't cheat. You people make me sick.
I guess he feels people who don't cheat should have an asterisk as they didn't put their reputation, or rather, their ass, to risk.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak